The Newsroom

NBC News, MSNBC, ABC News and others from across the pond

(May 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVAND
mark posted:

Sam Champion: Left to host a new morning show on the Weather Channel, which was axed after less than two years. Moved to other programmes on the channel, and left a year later. No current gig.

He left to Atlanta because his partner lives there.
MA
mark Founding member
NYTV posted:
mark posted:
Marysol Castro: Left her weekend weather anchor gig to become the main weather anchor on CBS's The Early Show, which was axed less than two years later. Moved to early mornings on WPIX in New York, and was out after a couple of years. Last seen hosting a boxing show on ESPN.

Marysol Castro is currently at WTNH New Hampshire

I think that was just maternity cover last year.
NY
NYTV
mark posted:
NYTV posted:
mark posted:
Marysol Castro: Left her weekend weather anchor gig to become the main weather anchor on CBS's The Early Show, which was axed less than two years later. Moved to early mornings on WPIX in New York, and was out after a couple of years. Last seen hosting a boxing show on ESPN.

Marysol Castro is currently at WTNH New Hampshire

I think that was just maternity cover last year.

That is correct. She was at WTNH, she is currently at ESPN as a boxing host.
BW
BroadcastWales
I don't think this has been posted already, however GMA has had a refresh with a new curved main desk. I think it looks miles better than the previous look:
http://www.newscaststudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/gma-anchor-desk.png
:-(
A former member
That looks horrendous.
MA
mark Founding member
I mentioned it over in the 'North American affiliates/network set design' thread, but thanks for posting the image.

I always thought using the projected image of Times Square was a bit weird, given that the studio has a real view of it. So I think this change makes sense.
GI
ginnyfan
Looks so local. The desk is small, especially for a show with so many hosts. The old Time Square live shot background was the best thing in a messy set.

Today is miles ahead overall imo, especially in terms of studio and presentation.
RK
Rkolsen
Morning Joe is coming from Washington DC today for President Trumps address to congress. Typically they come from the main bureau in DC but today they're coming from a new studio in their West Capitol Hill studios. At first I thought they put a new desk in the corner studio that was recently renovated for Greta's show. But this appears to be another studio that was likely previously used as an insert studio (I assume the U.K. equivalent would be a DTL). It's very cramped and has one window (may have been two but who knows), monitors on the side walls I assume to mimic the other studio, an LED front desk and wood paneling on the side of the window. Additionally it seems to only be set up for three cameras (head on, desk right and desk left you could say) the head on camera seems to be locked down save for zoom while the other three are used for cross shots showing 2/3 of the desk or a close up.

tmorgan96 and London Lite gave kudos

22 days later

RK
Rkolsen
This could be big news for its own thread. So breakaway.

Looks like MSNBC may be inching towards a rebrand of sorts. Graphics that have been used as bumpers to and from commercials now say NBC News and their location identifier which would normally be MSNBC - NY is now NBC News - NY. Additional their fourth floor glass enclosed studio had its markings changed (along where a chair rail maybe) overnight. Yesterday the studio had a simple repeating line of their peacock logo and today the logo has shrunken and includes the text "NBC News" underneath.

LL
London Lite Founding member
My concern is that if MSNBC does rebrand, it'll damage the impartiality of NBC News as a whole. MSNBC is known as a left-wing, pro Democrats agenda network.

It never used to be like this, but when you have Rachel Maddow and co doing the same as Fox News (with the Republican Party) for them, it is a concern.
MO
Mouseboy33
This could be big news for its own thread. So breakaway.

Looks like MSNBC may be inching towards a rebrand of sorts. Graphics that have been used as bumpers to and from commercials now say NBC News and their location identifier which would normally be MSNBC - NY is now NBC News - NY. Additional their fourth floor glass enclosed studio had its markings changed (along where a chair rail maybe) overnight. Yesterday the studio had a simple repeating line of their peacock logo and today the logo has shrunken and includes the text "NBC News" underneath.

Nice Catch. I assume a some point MSNBC needed to rebrand. Especially because Microsoft is no longer involved with the channel. If the channel rebrands, what do you think they'd rename it?

NBC News Channel- currently used for their affiliate news service.
SE
seamus
My concern is that if MSNBC does rebrand, it'll damage the impartiality of NBC News as a whole. MSNBC is known as a left-wing, pro Democrats agenda network.

It never used to be like this, but when you have Rachel Maddow and co doing the same as Fox News (with the Republican Party) for them, it is a concern.

I think what distinguishes MSNBC from Fox is that they do separate out the punditry from rolling news. At the very least, although unabashedly leftist, MSNBC is not running a propaganda and misinformation-heavy operation like Fox has been doing since the Bush Administration.
Mouseboy33 and Charles gave kudos

Newer posts