TV Home Forum

SM:TV Live to return for one off special?

To mark 20th anniversary of its launch (February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
Louise was regular stand in, taking part in the "Cat the Dog" sketches, although did she stand in for Cat as well?

Yeah, Cat and Louise were a regular pairing. I can't remember many people standing in for Cat, often it would just be Ant and Dec on their own. One of the Ant and Dec solo episodes from the summer of 1999 was the one I mentioned where they had to record a new outro cos of the unexpected F1. The best thing about that documentary is Dec reading The Sun behind the sofa while waiting for his cue.

Weren't there a few episodes of Chums after Ant & Dec had left too? But when it came to the run-up to the final episode they acted as if they'd never existed and treated the wedding as the end (even having Dane Bowers being locked in the bedroom for 2 years).

Yeah, Ant and Dec left on December 1st (I remember that cos it was the same time as the World Cup draw) and then they carried on with Cat and guests until Christmas before the big relaunch in January, including Chums. Then in the new year you had SMTV 2099 as the big sketch, which they'd previously done in between "series" of Chums.

Funny you should mention Dane Bowers because I remember the week James Redmond left, Cat was also away because she was doing an Elton John special on ITV that night, so Dane Bowers presented alongside Tess and Brian which made it look even weirder.

Louise filled in with Cat for the summer of 2001 and returned after Ant & Dec left in December. They were joined by guest presenters such as Chris Evans and Dermot O'Leary (the latter would have been a brilliant permanent presenter alongside Cat).

PEDANTRY ALERT: Evans actually presented the show during the summer of 2000, I remember in the papers he said he used to watch it every week and asked if he could present it.

When they had the big revamp in 2003, it was very similar to The Saturday Show at the time, the two shows were virtually identical. It's probably the period where the two channels were the closest they'd ever been. I wasn't especially bothering with either of them at that point but I might have said I preferred The Saturday Show because I thought Simon Grant was a great presenter. (Actually I mentioned him in Creamguide a while back and someone wrote in to say they went to school with him and he was the loveliest bloke and they were all thrilled when he got on telly because they knew he would.) Of course by that point Dick and Dom were on CBBC, and when I started watching that, SMTV was of no interest at all.
BU
buster

When they had the big revamp in 2003, it was very similar to The Saturday Show at the time, the two shows were virtually identical. It's probably the period where the two channels were the closest they'd ever been. I wasn't especially bothering with either of them at that point but I might have said I preferred The Saturday Show because I thought Simon Grant was a great presenter. (Actually I mentioned him in Creamguide a while back and someone wrote in to say they went to school with him and he was the loveliest bloke and they were all thrilled when he got on telly because they knew he would.) Of course by that point Dick and Dom were on CBBC, and when I started watching that, SMTV was of no interest at all.

Both shows seemed to decide at the same time to drop their opening titles and go straight in from a cold open. This persisted throughout the summer - the only place you could see the Saturday Show opening titles was in the Extra programme on CBBC. The on exactly the same day Dick and Dom launched on BBC1 with titles, and SM:TV Gold launched bringing some titles back, as if it all never happened!
FL
flaziola
Fun fact, I think it was 1999, but there was a big competition between Westlife and Cliff Richard for Christmas No. 1 Westlife won out in the end but there wasn't any official trophy for the feat. So, for the press photos, the band posed with the CD:UK No. 1 trophy instead.
http://www.angelfire.com/wi/westlifeheaven/no1.jpg
bilky asko and VMPhil gave kudos
JA
james-2001
They have since bought in an official trophy I think. Though ironically not until people had mostly stopped caring about the charts anyway.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, it can't have been more than six years ago, because it's shaped like the current logo of the Official Charts Company, which dates from 2011.
VM
VMPhil
Only just come across this because it's not properly labelled, but here's clips from an episode of CD:UK from Saturday 31st July 1999. Don't think it's the full episode, looks like it's been edited down to just clips of the band 911, but you can see how they used the studio before the revamp in the autumn.

JA
james-2001
This was pretty much the same time 911 split up as well. Funny time to have a documentry on them!

40 days later

JB
JasonB
Looks like a 20th reunion is going to happen. Ant and Dec just asked Cat Deeley live on air on Saturday Night Takeaway to join them and she said yes.

They also showed the famous eggy pumps clip which looked like it wasn't used from youtube!
Last edited by JasonB on 10 April 2017 12:16pm
AN
Andrew Founding member
Don't Ant and Dec own the archive of SM:TV Live following the closure of Blaze TV?
TV
TVMan
Ant and Dec's production company Gallowgate bought the rights to SM:TV about 10 years ago, so will have been relatively easy to find a broadcast quality version.
JO
Josh
Don't Ant and Dec own the archive of SM:TV Live following the closure of Blaze TV?

(not to be confused with the TV channel with the same name)
IS
Inspector Sands
JoshX posted:

(not to be confused with the TV channel with the same name)

Or the one Glenn Beck is on...

Newer posts