The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GM
Gary McEwan
What was the name of the news bulletin that NHK World used to show that was in Japanese rather than English?
UK
uktvwatcher
It was NHK News 7 or News Watch 9, if i do remember.
HC
Hatton Cross
On a side issue - when I've watched the end of a new bullitin of NHK World, and there is more than one presenter (other than the news reader) in it, just before the cut to the roof top 'beauty cam', I wonder if they are talking to each other in English or Japanese? And are the back-up scripts on the desk in Japanese or English?

OK - Just me, then!

Actually a very odd incident a couple of weeks ago.
The news was wrapped up in the usual way, weather chap wanders up to the news readers desk, theme fades up, cuts to beautycam - and (c) NHK 2017 caption, then it cuts straight to a Breaking News sting and caption, and the same presenter comes back on air, to introduce a live ob featuring the resignation speech by the South Korean prime minister.

Why not just keep on air after the weather, and transition into the speech, instead of the usual pre-set wrap up. Either the news broadcast was pre-recorded, or someone didn't fancy wrestling with the automation play-out system. Very strange.
AD
ADmanamDA
NYTV posted:
NHK Newsline, the news bulletin of Japan's NHK World TV, has just rebranded with a new intro and theme.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJYS7k7Gqf4

They've actually been under the NHK Newsline since August 2016 and the current open was introduced in October

BBI45 posted:
NHK Newsline, the news bulletin of Japan's NHK World TV, has just rebranded with a new intro and theme.

I first saw it used in November. It was likely launched before then.

Edit: This video was uploaded in October.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6L0BkIM9g

Thanks for the correction guys! One thing I like about the new theme is that Japanese musical elements has been incorporated into it, but I will also miss the old one.
WW
WW Update

Actually a very odd incident a couple of weeks ago.
The news was wrapped up in the usual way, weather chap wanders up to the news readers desk, theme fades up, cuts to beautycam - and (c) NHK 2017 caption, then it cuts straight to a Breaking News sting and caption, and the same presenter comes back on air, to introduce a live ob featuring the resignation speech by the South Korean prime minister.

Why not just keep on air after the weather, and transition into the speech, instead of the usual pre-set wrap up. Either the news broadcast was pre-recorded, or someone didn't fancy wrestling with the automation play-out system. Very strange.

This is just a guess, but could it have been done to enable local stations (or anyone carrying the main newscast) that did not want to carry the breaking news about the resignation speech to opt out at that point?
AD
ADmanamDA
I love how "restrainted" the NHK World set is. Because some of their domestic sets are "sommat else" Whew!

Yep - and most native Japanese studios are lit to within an inch of their lives...

Then I guess Nippon TV's nightly news program - News Zero is an exception Smile
The Intro (since 2015)

A full episode of the program on Jan 23, 2017

A special edition featuring Lady Gaga during her tour in Japan in Nov 2016 Smile
WW
WW Update
Rete 4, Italy; with coverage of a simultaneous blizzard and earthquake, 2017:

BB
BBI45
I love how "restrainted" the NHK World set is. Because some of their domestic sets are "sommat else" Whew!

Yep - and most native Japanese studios are lit to within an inch of their lives...

I would like to see examples of both "sommat else" sets and "lit to within an inch of their lives" sets.
CR
Critique
Something I've noticed from whenever I've seen clips of Newsline is that all the presenters seem to sort-of have an English (as in UK) accent - is this some form of RP that people are trained in? In the second clip of the programme with the female presenter, posted on the previous page, the presenter wouldn't sound out of place on the BBC!

Equally, it could just be that they hire English presenter.
DV
dvboy
If you look up the presenter, Kanakor Sachno, on the NHK website you'll see she was born in London. Her accent isn't specifically RP, but it is English.
WW
WW Update
RAI, Italy; German-language news for South Tyrol, 2017:

Richard and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
WW
WW Update
BBI45 posted:

I would like to see examples of both "sommat else" sets and "lit to within an inch of their lives" sets.

I suppose these are fairly typical examples:

Newer posts