TV Home Forum

Which ITV company from 1955 to 2002, had the best logo?

(May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
I always thought it looked more like a V than a Y.
Si-Co and Lou Scannon gave kudos
LS
Lou Scannon
I always thought it looked more like a V than a Y.

I concur.

I'm sure that anyone who has, erm, eyesight would concur too. Smile

If (?) the chevron was chosen as YTV's logo "because it looks (very vaguely) like a Y", then Rolling Eyes . Anyone with more than half-a-braincell can work out that if you don't have the vertical stalk at the bottom of a Y, then what you're left with is actually a V.
TC
TonyCurrie
Which ITV company, do you feel, had the best logo? This could be any company that was part of the ITV network from 1955 to 2002.

Make your selection from the list below:

Grampian Television
Scottish Television (STV)
Border Television
Ulster Television (UTV)
Television Wales and West (TWW)
Harlech Television (HTV)
Southern Television
Television South (TVS)
Meridian Television
Channel Television
Westward Television
Television South West (TSW)
Westcountry
Carlton Television
Anglia Television
Associated-Rediffusion
Associated Television (ATV)
Thames Television
London Weekend Television (LWT)
Associated British Corporation (ABC)
Granada Television
Yorkshire Television (YTV)
Central Television
Tyne Tees Television (TTTV)

What happened to Wales (West & North) TV/Teledu Cymru?
ST
steddenm

Basic but tells you what it is and where it is!!
VM
VMPhil
Please leave your TVF membership card on the table on the way out.
RI
Rijowhi

I quite liked the music but nah I have to agree with everyone else, it was dire. I know you're joking BTW...at least I hope so. Very Happy

Central's classic logos for me...though I'm biased with that considering where I'm from.
DB
dbl

Oh hell no!!

( Laughing )
LS
Lou Scannon

I'd always wondered how this sort of thing would've looked if any other regions had gone for it.

Presumably some/many others would have had similarly clunky and long-winded wording on the ident.

I can just picture the likes of... "MIDLANDS 3 - Central Independent Television"!

Would Border have gone for simply "BORDER 3 " or really embraced the verbosity by going for something like...
"CUMBRIA, ISLE OF MAN & SOUTHERN SCOTLAND 3 - Border Television"?! Laughing
AN
Andrew Founding member
Allegedly I've read before that they had to display "Tyne Tees Television" at the bottom as they had to display the proper name of the franchise.

But I question this as many regions didn't display the name of the franchise, just various animated station logos such as Central's abstract textured cakes they were using around that time.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
This 'Come home to Yorkshire TV' promo was probably the best thing to come out of the short lived 'Channel 3 Yorkshire Television' era, not that I recall it getting much of an airing at the time :

LS
Lou Scannon
Allegedly I've read before that they had to display "Tyne Tees Television" at the bottom as they had to display the proper name of the franchise.

But I question this as many regions didn't display the name of the franchise, just various animated station logos such as Central's abstract textured cakes they were using around that time.

Perhaps what allowed writing-less logos/idents (such as a lone thistle for Scottish Television) was that they at least didn't directly contradict the franchisee name, whereas the brand "Channel 3 North East" obviously has no words whatsoever in common with the actual franchisee name "Tyne Tees Television"?

Clearly this alleged "rule" (or whatever) of that era, which we are led to believe obliged C3NE to add the clunky suffix, had fallen by the wayside within a few short years - allowing Central & Westcountry to be fully Carlton-ised.
HA
HAR10110289
The cake logo from the Central ident I liked from 1985-1998 including this one:
http://hub.tv-ark.org.uk/images/itvmidlands/itv_midlands_images/central/idents/central1994g_a.jpg

Newer posts