The Newsroom

ERT Greece - BREAKING: Greek court has overturns closure

Greek court has overturned the closure of the state broadcaster (June 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CR
Critique
I notice they're showing the studio shots with the main presenters in even when they're not actually the focus of the item. For example, they're showing live images from the park with an interviewer on the right, and the presenters in a box above. Also, ert.gr is unavailable, but they're still showing it as part of the OSG - is this just something they haven't bothered getting rid of?

How are the rotas working? Honestly, how are they getting staff in and guests and whatnot?
Last edited by Critique on 12 June 2013 8:55pm
DO
dosxuk
NET now taking ARTE Journal from earlier, I assume the only news show of the day.

They've also carried reports from CNN and BBC World.
JA
james
I notice they're showing the studio shots with the main presenters in even when they're not actually the focus of the item. For example, they're showing live images from the park with an interviewer on the right, and the presenters in a box above. Also, ert.gr is unavailable, but they're still showing it as part of the OSG - is this just something they haven't bothered getting rid of?

How are the rotas working? Honestly, how are they getting staff in and guests and whatnot?

The website was up until only a few hours ago so that'll simply be a case of not removing it yet. Some of the feeds being broadcast still have the ERT One DOG on them (even though that operation has 100% finished and is now a simulcast of ERT NET) so it shows there are some errors with the information being relayed on-screen. In terms of getting guests in and out, inside the building it seems from images online like its just normal operations, apart from there being less staff (with translators and and some other staff not working anymore - or protesting outside), but it certainly doesn't seem to be pandemonium inside. As for the crowds outside, it seems the protesters are happy for guests etc to move between them to gain access to the building.
Last edited by james on 13 June 2013 8:15am
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm finding this thrilling! I never thought the EBU would be capable of starting all out war with a government! At most I expected a strongly worded letter but not going to the trouble of rebuilding a PSB in the space of a few hours!

And good for them too. However, I'm not particularly surprised by the EBU's actions. After all, it is the role of any union to protect the rights of its members and to provide support in circumstances such as these.
NG
noggin Founding member
I'm finding this thrilling! I never thought the EBU would be capable of starting all out war with a government! At most I expected a strongly worded letter but not going to the trouble of rebuilding a PSB in the space of a few hours!

And good for them too. However, I'm not particularly surprised by the EBU's actions. After all, it is the role of any union to protect the rights of its members and to provide support in circumstances such as these.

Yes. I think people would possibly be surprised how much inter-EBU co-operation there is on a relatively informal level.

It's not at all unusual for the BBC to get visits from other broadcasters in the EBU to see how various programmes are made, and to share experiences and knowledge on an informal level across both production and technology areas.
RO
robertclark125
As I stated last night, I applaud the EBU's stance on this matter.
AQ
Aquasetia
Only just caught up with this.
http://www3.ebu.ch/cms/en/sites/ebu/contents/news/2013/06/monitor-ert-online.html is still live and kicking, and they seem to be doing well. Lives into the studio, caption generation running OK. They appear to be doing a good job!
The EBU has done well here as well - I doubt if the ERT folks expected to be on air 24 hours later. You wonder what is really happening here. Why would the army destroy transmitters just to get them off the air? Why are they so desperate to get them off the air?

Edit: They just had a cameraman out in the crowd outside, and apparently, the crowd is letting guests through into the studios.
JA
james
I'm wondering where do we go from here? So the channel has proved the government wrong, and with help from the EBU is broadcasting successfully online, in what is seen as 'two fingers' up to the government. But as is clear from the OB outside, the crowds are dwindling. Support only lasts so long. In say three days time, what will they cover? Even if they wanted to cover this story for another three days - is there that much left in it? It seems the government wants to start the new broadcaster in a few months time. This is a rolling story that will drag out months, with little updates in-between. They clearly can't cover other news now as they don't have the systems in place to do so - their news gathering operations are all but dead. The public in Greece would tune in (if they could) but all that's left is a web stream and a few relays of the broadcast for a couple of minutes at a time on other broadcasters. I fear this will eventually die a quiet death without wider support from the commercial channels to get this broadcast on terrestrial across the country.

Either that, or the building will be stormed by riot police in the next day or two creating more dramatic scenes.
Last edited by james on 13 June 2013 8:15am
JA
JAS84
Only just caught up with this.
http://www3.ebu.ch/cms/en/sites/ebu/contents/news/2013/06/monitor-ert-online.html is still live and kicking, and they seem to be doing well. Lives into the studio, caption generation running OK. They appear to be doing a good job!
The EBU has done well here as well - I doubt if the ERT folks expected to be on air 24 hours later. You wonder what is really happening here. Why would the army destroy transmitters just to get them off the air? Why are they so desperate to get them off the air?

Edit: They just had a cameraman out in the crowd outside, and apparently, the crowd is letting guests through into the studios.
Wouldn't destroying transmitters knock out the commercial broadcasters too?
RE
remlap

Also now ERT3 from Thessaloniki is now on 7E 11095 H 3299 DVB-S 3/4

http://i.imgur.com/5b7d80l.jpg
:-(
A former member
MIT? Or do you mean NET?

Regarding transmitters: the Greek broadcasting infrastructure hasn't been built up in the same manner as the UK. The privately owned channels such as Mega, Star and Ant-1 only began broadcasting just over two decades ago with countless other channels having come (and gone) since. Each channel is likely to have its own separate transmitter with no shared facilities. It's certainly not uncommon to see little mini forests of transmitters clumped together around the country - and as I mentioned previously, Mount Parnitha near Athens used to be awash with them. Nearly every analogue UHF channel was occupied there meaning lots of interference - but a fair amount of choice.
Last edited by A former member on 13 June 2013 4:03am
LT
LTSC1980
From International Presentation thread:
james posted:
Some studio shots taken from the end of tonights ARTE Journal (which was broadcast online on a special stream as it was being shown in Greek).

Anyways at the end of the broadcast instead of cutting to the usual filler, it showed what happens after the bulletin finishes, such as the studio monitors showing the Windows 7 shutdown sequence:

Newer posts