TV Home Forum

Big Brother : Celebrity Hijack

John Wins!! (December 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Stuart
onetrickpony posted:
Ratings a dissapointment on the basis that in theory it should have had at least 1m a night.

I appreciate that you are a big BB fan Shaun, but surely even you can see that this programme was more than just "a disappointment". The BB format should have been rested altogether until the summer.

The ratings speak for themselves. The audience drifted away steadily over the 4 week run. The series average is boosted mainly by the C4/E4 simulcast on the launch night which was generally ten-times their normal figures.

The fact that the final's viewing figures were heavily trounced by "Grunt" from EastEnders wandering about Afghanistan for Sky One (a pay channel only available on DSat) says quite alot.

E4 is an FTA channel available in 90% of homes, they should be able to muster more than 0.7m for such a heavily promoted programme.
:-(
A former member
Yea i agree that it should have been rested (im sure i said that a while back?). Maybe im just trying to cling to a dead horse, in the hope it will come back alive soon.
JO
Joe
Brekkie Boy posted:
19:30 Big Brother's Little Brother 267,600
20:30 Big Brother: Celebrity Hijack Live Final 724,600
22:15 Big Brother's Big Mouth 349,000,

Fair to say the ratings have been a disappointment - on reflection it would have been better in the 10pm slot where digital channels often do better, but it's break from C4 - and the fact the series has been so low key - has been a very good move for the show in the long run.

Oh dear.

Imagine if it had been, for example, ITV, you would have ripped it to pieces. But being a show commisioned by Channel 4 and shown on E4, your perspective on ratings has changed. Hmmm.
BR
Brekkie
Mmmm... my perspective on the ratings is that they are undoubtedly mediocre, no doubt about that.

But as a long term fan I can see from the talk in the various forums (that matter) that people have a much more positive outlook now for the future of BB than they did after the last series - and that actually the producers have learnt alot of lessons the hard way in the last year and now have the confidence they need to set BB9 on the right track.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Those ratings are awful. I imagine it worked out as one of E4's most expensive shows per viewer, considering it still had all the usual overheads of the Channel 4 show, besides Davina
BR
breakingnews
I'd say they made a substantial profit despite low ish ratings. After all young people watch Big Brother and that's a key market for advertisers.

I have doubts over this year's main Big Brother. Last year really put me off it and this Hijack series did nothing for me. It could actually be that the series has run its course, it's been going for 8 years.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Brekkie Boy posted:
Mmmm... my perspective on the ratings is that they are undoubtedly mediocre, no doubt about that.

But as a long term fan I can see from the talk in the various forums (that matter) that people have a much more positive outlook now for the future of BB than they did after the last series - and that actually the producers have learnt alot of lessons the hard way in the last year and now have the confidence they need to set BB9 on the right track.

You know me, Brekkie - I'm not a fan of regurgitated posts from "other forums".

It seems to me that they didn't learn from last years debacle. The lesson was to choose the celebs more carefully, realise that Jade and family were one-trick ponies, and ACT on perceived racism in the house instead of sitting on their thumbs while the press went into overdrive.

This year's celeb show mucked the format around so that it was unwatchable by me and patently millions of others.

Its still ludicrous spin on your behalf to suggest that people have a positive outlook on the franchise when this incarnation did nothing but harm to it. When you have so little good to say about other channels, it makes it all the more pronounced when you are still championing one of C4's WORST decisions on their biggest show.
AN
Ant
I still don't understand why they didn't just put it on to Channel 4. The fact that it was tucked away on E4 did it no good.

Better still they could have rested it until the summer.
SA
saturdaymorning
Big Brother is not having as many problems as people make out.And anyway,they can't rest for the whole year.Even number 4 had TBB.
BR
Brekkie
Ant posted:
I still don't understand why they didn't just put it on to Channel 4. The fact that it was tucked away on E4 did it no good.

Better still they could have rested it until the summer.

It was put away on E4 to take the pressure off - both from Big Brother and from C4 itself - and that it achieved on both counts.

Ideally it perhaps should have been rested until the summer, but contracts had already been signed with Endemol obliged to make and C4 obliged to show a series of some sort each summer and winter through to 2010.
SA
saturdaymorning
I must say,Big Mouth put a lot of effort in.Good use of Back to the Future music.
BR
Brekkie
What did people think of Mat and James on Big Mouth?

Personally I found myself in a similar situation as with Russell - I really liked them both, but found it difficult (well, virtually impossible) to watch a whole show.

Never watched Big Mouth religiously so only watched 2 or 3 full shows during the series - though probably attempted 2 or 3 but as I say, had to turn off.

Newer posts