The Newsroom

The Weather Forecast Thread

> 'Nice' weather girls... >More wet weather set for UK (February 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
R2
r2ro
What are these new graphics going to look like?
NG
noggin Founding member
Dunedin posted:
I thought we already know that the current symbols are pretty much staying (probably look a little more modern).

I'm yet to be convinced by fly-over weather forcasts- they look great but ultimately deliver the same amount of key information in more time. 99% of the time I want to know the weather where I live for the rest of the day and tomorrow- that's it. Nothing fancy.

I think the weather coverage on N24 for example is awful- why devote 4-5 minutes per hour (that's about 8% of all on-air time) to the weather? There should be a 20-30 second summary at xx.15 and a 1-2 minute bulletin in the studio at xx.45 (thereby giving more pace and continuity to the top of the hour, by reducing turnoff when the weather and trailers comes on AGAIN!)

I just don't think that fly-over graphics allow for such short bulletins, and that can't be a good thing.

Afraid you are in the minority Dunedin. Whenever any audience research is commissioned ino news content - decent, accurate and in-depth weather forecasts are usually very close to being the most popular elements of news programmes.

The most common complaint is that there isn't a long enough forecast, and that it is rushed.

This is one of the reasons that many BBC regional shows, and the BBC National news, contains quite a long weather bulletin (The Six is the shortest, but that is because it is accompanied by a regional bulletin within the same hour)

News 24's weather is incredibly popular with farmes, sportsmen (like pilots and sailors), as well as normal people, because you know twice an hour you'll get a decent forecast, without having to "Press Red" - which isn't an option on Freeview (which doesn't carry the weather loop)

50 days later

AP
AdamP
Just been reading the BBC TV News newsletter, which says the new weather graphics are likely to be launched once the election is out of the way. National and Nations and Regions will all get the new graphics at the same time.
PE
Pete Founding member
theres a bbc tv news newsletter?
JA
jamej
Meant to post this last week but forgot, but one morning last week - the weather went all wrong (no sound, still image etc) and we got this:

http://jolnetwork.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/weather.jpg

Not seen it before - is it anything to do with the new graphics?
BE
benjy
jamej posted:
Meant to post this last week but forgot, but one morning last week - the weather went all wrong (no sound, still image etc) and we got this:

http://jolnetwork.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/weather.jpg

Not seen it before - is it anything to do with the new graphics?

I hope so - that looks very nice indeed.

I was wondering when they were planning on introducing the new graphics. In fact I had a dream about them last night - looked quite good, if a little cartoonish - I woke up thinking that Thursday was a weird day to launch them... Strange but true.
KE
keithgreer
I dont know if it has anything to do with the new Graphics but i am currently loving the Newsnight Weather update at ~23.00, i think it is the same map that thay use on the BBC One mornight updates and BBC Three news

"it will be dry every where, except where it rains"
BE
benjy
keithgreer posted:
I dont know if it has anything to do with the new Graphics but i am currently loving the Newsnight Weather update at ~23.00, i think it is the same map that thay use on the BBC One mornight updates and BBC Three news

"it will be dry every where, except where it rains"

According to the Evening Standard Jeremy Paxman is "fuming" that the powers that be made them drop the market update for the weather, and he certainly isn't scared of showing his feelings on-screen. The other day it was just "Take an umbrella"!
DU
Dunedin
Yes, Paxman's on my side in the battle against the BBC Weather department thinking they're News.

In yesterday's self proclaimed "controversial" weather forcast, Paxman opted for something like- "sun, cloud, rain, dry, hail, snow, cold, hot".

Genius....Let's all get weather into perspective in BBC News productions.
MA
marksi
Dunedin posted:
Yes, Paxman's on my side in the battle against the BBC Weather department thinking they're News.

In yesterday's self proclaimed "controversial" weather forcast, Paxman opted for something like- "sun, cloud, rain, dry, hail, snow, cold, hot".

The weather has a hell of a lot more impact on people's lives than just about anything else in the news. In fact you can say it's the only thing in every bulletin that impacts on everyone's life in some way or other. More so than a dead Pope or a Royal Wedding. Paxman's attitude is less than professional.
PE
Pete Founding member
Dunedin posted:

where in newsnight does the weather forecast come?

oh yes, found it, fabulous
MA
Matrix
Hymagumba posted:
Dunedin posted:

where in newsnight does the weather forecast come?

oh yes, found it, fabulous

Out of interest when was the weather introduced into Newsnight?

Newer posts