TV Home Forum

BBC Idents

(November 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Is it just me or are the BBC ONE going backwards with their tv idents, why do they have poxy dancers that seem to be the same clip everytime.
BBC TWO have not messed up keeping the traditional 2.

BBC PLEASE GIVE US BACK OUR GLOBE!!!
A former member
Shut up and stop being stupid.
FU
fusionlad Founding member
Davester posted:

yeah, did you have to make 2 threads about the same subject. Rolling Eyes
A former member
Sorry Embarassed Did'nt know
CW
cwathen Founding member
Quote:

Give the guy a break, he's new - he may not have realised that a poll is also a discussion thread.

Anyway, yes the BBC are taking a step back. Pulling out terms like 'contemporary' and 'culturally inclusive' does not excuse the fact that BBC1 had a very strong ident set replaced with a much smaller set of various people prancing about.

That the yellow 2's are getting better (although rather than getting better it's more a case of the other channels bringing in something even worse and so they're left as the channel with the least worst idents rather than the best) does not excuse the fact that the old set was much stronger and in no need of replacement.

The boxed channel identifiers don't work. Firstly, the BBC logo is just too small and appears distorted on small screens, and confining anything to a corner in an age where people watch TV in one of 3 aspect ratios just doesn't work - the solution they've opted for of making it fit the corner of a 4:3 frame also means that it's in a fairly random place on the screen of a 16:9 set. Not until we are once again in a situation where everyone's TV is the same shape can you start making use of corners of the screen.
MB
Media Boy
[quote="cwathen"]
Quote:

Give the guy a break, he's new - he may not have realised that a poll is also a discussion thread.

[quote]

I agree - this place is full of people that believe that they are so superior to others - its a BIT OF FUN - and lets hope that it stays that way.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
nicholas.gee99 posted:

NO!!! PLEASE DON'T!!! I love the dancing BBC1 idents, especially the BBC1 Skateboarders idents, for which I am still wishing for someone to post a clean mp3 version of the music to this ident on this website!! If at all??? I'm sure someone can help?

But BBC1 cannot go back to the globe now! It's history! I know Tyne Tees television rose from the dead and so is The Generation Game in January, but BBC1 dancers are here to stay and we must all start to accept this!

For crying out loud! Very Happy
MU
mulder
Juicy Joe posted:
nicholas.gee99 posted:

NO!!! PLEASE DON'T!!! I love the dancing BBC1 idents, especially the BBC1 Skateboarders idents, for which I am still wishing for someone to post a clean mp3 version of the music to this ident on this website!! If at all??? I'm sure someone can help?

But BBC1 cannot go back to the globe now! It's history! I know Tyne Tees television rose from the dead and so is The Generation Game in January, but BBC1 dancers are here to stay and we must all start to accept this!

For crying out loud! Very Happy

sorry, can't agree. how old are you? do you skate? if so, have you skated for long? I can't see any older skaters liking the fact that the BBC have jumped on the bandwagon. Just 'cause skating has now been forced into the mainstream and all the little kids have jumped on the bandwagon, there's no need to make an ident about it and jump on the bandwagon as well. They did it with the balloon too, just when skating was starting to get popular.

I'm not a skater, but I can see that a lot of older skaters would hate that their culture has become such a kiddie magnet. If the BBC made a DJ ident, I'd be mad as hell, as I was when they made the promo for BBC Blast (I think it was called that), with the guy going, "there's this girl DJ in the back of a truck." ARARG.

That's the worst one of the bunch too. Bring back the globe.
SP
Spencer
Juicy Joe posted:

No set of idents lasts forever, and I'm pretty certain the dancers are not an exception. Friends I know at the Beeb say that they're not popular within the organisation, and they don't seem to have captured the public imagination in the same was as the balloon did. I get the feeling they're only being kept on for now to save face for the Beeb, and in particular, Lorraine Heggessey.

I don't think it's out of the question for BBC One to make a big thing of bringing back the globe at some point in the future (albeit in a new form) as it was always a popular, reassuring and recognisable symbol for the channel.

It's certainly not uncommon for this kind of thing to happen. For example (as Juicy Joe mentions) the resurrection of the Tyne Tees name and logo, or Yorkshire Television bringing back their 'Der-der-der-duh-derrr' jingle in 1996 after an absence of 7 years.

Clearly any revival of the globe is subject to speculation, but I'd put money on the dancers being gone within five years and replaced with something else.
PC
Philip Cobbold
Spencer For Hire posted:
Clearly any revival of the globe is subject to speculation, but I'd put money on the dancers being gone within five years and replaced with something else.

Five years? We can't put up with them for that long. They have only been going a year and a half and they are already stale. This didn't happen with the balloon, because there was the constant image in all idents, and therefore the whole set had a uniformed look to it. Each dancer ident looks very different, and so your can identify which one it is easily, and because there are so few, they repeat each on so many times over. With the balloon, they stood up to the test of time much better.
CW
cwathen Founding member
Quote:
No set of idents lasts forever, and I'm pretty certain the dancers are not an exception. Friends I know at the Beeb say that they're not popular within the organisation, and they don't seem to have captured the public imagination in the same was as the balloon did. I get the feeling they're only being kept on for now to save face for the Beeb, and in particular, Lorraine Heggessey.

I think keeping them for that reason is actually the wrong approach to take. The general concensus amongst the public is that they're crap, opinion within the BBC is that they're crap and inflexible, Lorraine Hegessey and Greg Dyke know they're crap too. But keeping them to avoid loosing face I think just makes the BBC come over as being pompous and overbearing. If they actually turned around and said 'OK, we admit it, the dancers were a mistake. We're going to withdraw them and try something else' I think they'd get a lot more respect than continuing to run them and peddle out their pre-prepared 'the dancers are excellent because...' lines.

Really, there's standing by a package and giving it time to bed in and there's, well, continuing to run the dancers after nearly 2 years.

Incidentally, are any more being made? afaik all the current idents have been made at the same time, and are just being phased in. Whether or not any new ones are being made is probably a sign as to how long term they will be.
FR
freddy
Media Boy posted:
I agree - this place is full of people that believe that they are so superior to others - its a BIT OF FUN - and lets hope that it stays that way.

The most sensible thing I've seen posted for a very long time!!!!

Newer posts