The Newsroom

Al Jazeera English | Refresh 2020

(March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BK
bkman1990
A new graphic just faded in & out on the right of the screen. I assume that had not appeared before when the gentleman was speaking from Washington D.C.
IN
IndoNewsFan
Not really seeing a lot of change. The videowall looks a little different, maybe a bit longer, but not that noticeable really.

The music has evolved, and is a bit stronger than the original.

The lower thirds are definitely longer, 16:9 friendly rather than 4:3 friendly.

The graphics seem to be an evolution of the originals.

The one ident we've seen so far somewhat reminded me of BBC2's idents.

It seems that they have decided to add a standup position, and that actually seems to work.

The desk looks bigger, but not that significantly different. Still circular, and still using orange lighting. In fact orange still remains as a signature colour.

Is it me, or are the lower thirds Arial Rounded?

I think the font is quite similar with "Bahnschrift Bold" one, and all caps.
JU
Justin
Clean shot of the new desk. Surprised they've stuck with a circular one considering the style of the ones in London and DC.

NY
NYTV
Not really seeing a lot of change. The videowall looks a little different, maybe a bit longer, but not that noticeable really.

The music has evolved, and is a bit stronger than the original.

The lower thirds are definitely longer, 16:9 friendly rather than 4:3 friendly.

The graphics seem to be an evolution of the originals.

The one ident we've seen so far somewhat reminded me of BBC2's idents.

It seems that they have decided to add a standup position, and that actually seems to work.

The desk looks bigger, but not that significantly different. Still circular, and still using orange lighting. In fact orange still remains as a signature colour.

Is it me, or are the lower thirds Arial Rounded?

I believe the fonts are from the DIN family
BK
bkman1990
The shape of the orange lighting around the desk is very similar to the BBC Sport Centre's desk in Salford.

Although the new AJE desk has some sort of glass or plastic placed outside the orange to make it look different.
BK
bkman1990
Are those new weather maps?
CH
Charles
It's all very nice but would make sense as an evolution if it came 6 years into the launch. 13 years after, it just feels the same.

That was exactly the first thing I said to myself. The use of the font DIN dates the whole look as if it’s all from circa 2012.

So far, the fact that it’s not too much of a radical departure from the previous look is probably a good move, but then it begs the question why they touched a single thing in the first place. I usually don’t say that, but the outgoing look aged so well.

My favorite thing that’s different might be the picture-in-picture effect for guests - that’s cool.
EY
the eye
The font it’s very late 90s early 00s.. same for the background map to be honest.
EY
the eye
This honestly feels like what would have been been the package before their previous one... not really sure it’s modern and fresh.
JU
Justin
Really not liking the glass rendition of the logo for regular TOTHs. It looks cheap and there's something about the way that the old sequence animates that feels more coherent in a way.
VM
VMPhil
DIN's a great typeface.
WO
Worzel
Certainly better than Sky News' current on screen offering!

Newer posts