TV Home Forum

Noel on Strike

And other Noel-related gubbins, by the looks of it (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
The gunge tank as well I think.

As an object yes, but it was a quiz format on Roadshow

The Gotchas and the Lyric Game were also carried over.

The Gotchas, of course
BU
buster
I always found the Lyric Game a bit underwhelming, basically just people singing. Always felt a bit downmarket for a show that was often quite clever creatively. Open The Cupboard was an improvement and The Panel Game pretty much nailed it - it felt much more "House Party". I can see why they got rid of the "game at the start" as it often wasn't the best bit of the show and freed up some time (particularly as they went back down to 50 mins from series 4) but it was a good format point which the show was lacking in later years.

9 days later

:-(
A former member
Jon posted:
So Mr Blobby made it on to the international versions

Did he?

I assumed the poster talking about New Zealand was referring to the UK version being shown rather than their own.

He can be seen in one of the international videos posted.

How did most people not spot him in the bath? I take it Mr blobby was owned by Noel and he made alot of pennies of him?

Ep2 went up the other day and as other have said it's just dull, and some of the new ideas were just terrible, yes budget cuts didn't help and there were ramped in the industry during this time, ( clear case BBC cuts, ITV having to merge to save money etc) but the case it was all about money is mute. Even with very little money, if you have outstanding ideas you can still get them to work.

Big Q has to be what could have been created to generate new excitement bar throwing stuff over the public.
JO
Jon
Well I’m the only one who said they didn’t spot him. The fact you’ve put an arrow suggests you realise it’s not obvious.

That Danish version didn’t last the whole series and I get the impression was the only one to feature Blobby.
A former member
What happened with the danish version? I wonder why it never really took off. Of course during Series 6 and 7 Bobby only turned up a few times. Its strange either noel or someone else said there relied on him too often to fill the gaps, yet that wasn't the case.
BR
Brekkie
Apparently Blobby became a fixture on most versions - Noel was very strict about him remaining pink and yellow, one version wanted to turn him green.
JO
Johnr
Episode 3 of Series 7 and the egg game...just wow as to how badly that went - and it featured through the whole show with the exciting prospect of returning the week after!

By the end of the episode even Noel didn’t have a clue what was going on and some bloke from production had to get him to move onto My Little Friend!

It’s interesting how much of a flop the Florida House Party idea was yet fast forward and Saturday Night Takeaway manage to do it a bit more successfully (until Ant crashes his car of course!)
BR
Brekkie
Ant and Dec basically take an audience with them. IIRC the House Party would basically have had a fairly clueless US audience and a few ex-pats and holiday makers.
NG
noggin Founding member
Johnr posted:

It’s interesting how much of a flop the Florida House Party idea was yet fast forward and Saturday Night Takeaway manage to do it a bit more successfully (until Ant crashes his car of course!)

As Brekkie quite rightly says - Ant and Dec can take their audience with them to the US (in a way the BBC would never be able to) - so don't have the huge barrier of a US audience who have no idea what is going on, or who they are, to contend with.
BU
buster
They did, for both US trips, offer free tickets to any UK viewers who were there on the dates of the show. How many took them up on the offer I don’t know but they New York audience at least seemed to be pretty well versed in the way the show works

22 days later

A former member
Here is that awful at the movies editions

JO
Johnr
How did they make a trip to Universal Studios look THAT BAD?!

Especially back in 1997 when they had the Kong and Jaws rides compared to today where sadly the majority of rides are basically just cloned 3D simulators!

Newer posts