TV Home Forum

Doctor Who (2015)

Expectations (July 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
That's awful if it's late June..it needs to go back to April or have two lots of 7..

Personnel I think it should air Jan to April.
Last edited by A former member on 15 July 2017 3:30pm
CU
Custard56
That's awful if it's late June..it needs to go back to April or have two lots of 7..

Personnel I think it should air Jan to April.

The viewing figures would have a better fighting chance in the first quarter of the year too, with the Christmas special effectively serving as a curtain-raiser, though it certainly won't be happening in the next year or so.
JC
JCB
JAS84 posted:
Chibnalls first season isn't until Autumn next year though so they could have held off filming until the new year. Shame they couldn't let the Christmas special be the reveal.
We don't know exactly when series 11 is airing. But it WON'T be that late. They need to complete the season before Strictly starts, assuming they aren't moving it away from Saturday, so that means it can't start airing later than June. Filming can't wait until after Christmas.

Capaldi's first series aired August to November in 2014 didn't it?

Quote:
I think it's only a 2 minute clip like they reveal the Companion last year. It will probably feature briefly on BBC News after too.

That was a scene from the first day of filming so considering the new doctor has only filmed the regeneration scene it'll be interesting to see how they reveal him/her (definitely "her" by the look of it now).
JA
JAS84
After what happened with series 9, do you really think they'll make that mistake again? Strictly Come Dancing pushed it into a too late timeslot. That's the reason series 10 went back to Spring. Moving back to Autumn is suicide.

Definitely her by the look of it? You referring to Digital Spy putting ex-Corrie star Paula Lane's name up all of a sudden? Hadn't seen her mentioned before today.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Quote:
...it'll be interesting to see how they reveal him/her (definitely "her" by the look of it now) .

What are you basing this on?
JC
JCB
Quote:
...it'll be interesting to see how they reveal him/her (definitely "her" by the look of it now) .

Just betting trends. Like Capaldi & Smith Jodie Whittaker has come out of nowhere and spent most of the day bookies odds on favourite. There's been a surge on Olivia Coleman this evening too. Having said that though I still actually wouldn't be surprised if it's Kris Marshall.
TI
tightrope78
JCB posted:
Quote:

Just betting trends. Like Capaldi & Smith Jodie Whittaker has come out of nowhere and spent most of the day bookies odds on favourite. There's been a surge on Olivia Coleman this evening too. Having said that though I still actually wouldn't be surprised if it's Kris Marshall.

Olivia Colman is staring in a play at the National Theatre from this week until the end of September. That may well count her out.
JC
JCB
JCB posted:

Olivia Colman is staring in a play at the National Theatre from this week until the end of September. That may well count her out.

Olivia & Phoebe always seemed like obvious red herrings from the start to me. Seems to be a 2 horse race now between Kris & Jodie that could go either way. Anyone other than those two would be a surprise.
LS
Lou Scannon
At the time that David Tennant was first announced as Christopher Eccleston's replacement, he was basically an unknown quantity to 99% of UK television viewers - apart perhaps from anyone who might have remembered his face (if not his name) from that BBC Three "Casanova" comedy-drama miniseries in 2005 (which was arguably his "And introducing..." TV role moment).

The majority of people who've ever been cast as The Doctor to date have similarly been people who I don't think have really been known for any major/central/starring role in any other mainstream/popular/well-known/long-running TV programme prior to becoming The Doctor.

The ubiquitous Olivia Coleman (post-Broadchurch et al) therefore doesn't seem to fit the general casting pattern of the Mad Man (or Woman?) In A Box. That said, Peter "Tristan Farnon" Davison of course got the gig when "All-teeth-and-curls" departed, so you never know...
:-(
A former member
Again Peter was young when he got the gig. Colin Impressed some people at a wedding but again was only know from being in "The Brothers" but that was 10 years earlier.
WH
Whitnall
I thought it would/will be someone like Russell Tovey or Ben Whishaw. There were a couple of reports of the other two people it might be in the paper, if it is please just axe it now.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
I'd have to agree with Austin Tatious in that a lot of those playing The Doctor haven't been particularly well known / high profile prior to being cast. I was pleased to see the BBC News report this morning on Breakfast didn't drop hint by coincidentally mentioning an 'outsider name', as it has done at least once in the past. I wonder whether the suspension of a female getting the role may be fuelled by The Master having regenerated into Missy.

Throwing a completely random (and unlikely) name into the suggestions you've got actors such as Jack Donnelly, whom although name is probably unfamiliar played the lead role in the BBC One series Atlantis. I'm half expecting that the actor/actress chosen may not have an instantly recognisable name but will have had a few significant tv appearances.

Newer posts