The Newsroom

NBC News, MSNBC, ABC News and others from across the pond

(May 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
No.... the longest running program in television history... Meet the Press still uses it as well.
DK
DanielK
No.... the longest running program in television history... Meet the Press still uses it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTdViXK_imk

None of the original is still on the air, MTP/Special Report was re-recorded in 2004 with new cuts and arrangments, NN & Today was done at the same time. Today dropped theirs in 2013, MTP & NN are still on air.
CH
Charles
That drumline in the countdown in that Special Report certainly sounds like the Nightly News bed from 1985.

http://www.networknewsmusic.com/wp/nbc-nightly-news-1985-2004-theme/

If you've never come across it before, Network News Music is a really great anthology of the big three US networks' news themes over time. His blurbs for each one are usually pretty accurate too, though I think Nightly News is using the 2004 headline bed again. He also says that the Meet the Press theme was re-recorded again in 2011, but the changes are barely noticeable.

So yeah, as far as I can tell, that drumline in the countdown of the Special Report is likely the only piece left from the original 1985 composition.

11 days later

CH
Charles
Page Six reports that Scott Pelley is being taken off the CBS Evening News. It is presumed he'll stay on 60 Minutes:

http://pagesix.com/2017/05/30/scott-pelley-is-leaving-cbs-evening-news/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=P6Twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Page Six reported that Scott was on thin ice a few months ago, so the fact that the May Sweeps ratings weren't good and that sweeps ended last week indicates that this is likely true.

For what it's worth, Jeff Glor anchored tonight, and I don't think he has been assigned to any particular role ever since the sports edition of 60 Minutes ended a while ago. We'll wait for the other shoe to drop...
Last edited by Charles on 31 May 2017 3:19am
CI
cityprod
Page Six reports that Scott Pelley is being taken off the CBS Evening News. It is presumed he'll stay on 60 Minutes:

http://pagesix.com/2017/05/30/scott-pelley-is-leaving-cbs-evening-news/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=P6Twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Page Six reported that Scott was on thin ice a few months ago, so the fact that the May Sweeps ratings weren't good and that sweeps ended last week indicates that this is likely true.

Page Six has almost literally no credibility at all. It's part of the New York Post, which is Rupert Murdoch's vanity newspaper in New York, losing over $60 million every year.

They have made up stories before, and their batting average, in baseball terms, would struggle to get them out of A league, never mind AA or AAA.

Until it gets reported by somewhere more reputable, I wouldn't pay any heed to Page Six.
CH
Charles
Page Six has almost literally no credibility at all. It's part of the New York Post, which is Rupert Murdoch's vanity newspaper in New York, losing over $60 million every year.

They have made up stories before, and their batting average, in baseball terms, would struggle to get them out of A league, never mind AA or AAA.

Until it gets reported by somewhere more reputable, I wouldn't pay any heed to Page Six.

I agree that Page Six has some issues, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the story. This is different from some sort of gossip story that they can walk back about him being on thin ice or something. They're reporting that he is out. Also, the Daily Beast says they have confirmed it too. Plus, the ratings are certainly empirical and not easy to ignore. From TV Newser/Ad Week:

Quote:
The CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley finished in third and posted the most-significant year-over-year drop. The program was -9 percent in total viewers and -14 percent in the news demo.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/may-2017-sweeps-abc-wins-total-viewers-while-nbc-takes-the-news-demo/330441

Edit: Full story from CNN:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/30/media/scott-pelley-cbs-evening-news/index.html
Last edited by Charles on 31 May 2017 3:37am - 2 times in total
CI
cityprod

I agree that Page Six has some issues, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the story. This is different from some sort of gossip story that they can walk back about him being on thin ice or something. They're reporting that he is out. Also, the Daily Beast says they have confirmed it too. Plus, the ratings are certainly empirical and not easy to ignore.

Based on what I'm seeing elsewhere, the story seems legit. However, I don't give Page Six any credit in this as they have a well earned reputation for making stuff up. The rare times the gossip column is actually right about something does not undo the myriad other times they have been completely wrong.

They have 'reported' exits before that didn't happen, so anything they're reporting is taken with a huge mound of salt.
CH
Charles
Based on what I'm seeing elsewhere, the story seems legit.

Well then that settles it. Sure, Page Six is gossip and doesn't have the best track record, but they sometimes can, and do, get some stories like this first before anyone else. It has made it all the way to the New York Times and the AP, both of whom attribute credit to the NY Post for breaking the story first.

Anyway...

Should be interesting to see who ends up succeeding Scott. It sounds like they're leaning towards Anthony Mason or Jeff Glor. CNN's Dylan Byers reports that Scott will be back eventually to anchor in the interim and sign off with dignity, though all of this points to CBS not handling this well at all. Clearly, this has been planned for a while, though not planned well enough to have already picked out a successor or with a plan to handle the PR fallout.
NY
NYTV
Based on what I'm seeing elsewhere, the story seems legit.

Well then that settles it. Sure, Page Six is gossip and doesn't have the best track record, but they sometimes can, and do, get some stories like this first before anyone else. It has made it all the way to the New York Times and the AP, both of whom attribute credit to the NY Post for breaking the story first.

Anyway...

Should be interesting to see who ends up succeeding Scott. It sounds like they're leaning towards Anthony Mason or Jeff Glor. CNN's Dylan Byers reports that Scott will be back eventually to anchor in the interim and sign off with dignity, though all of this points to CBS not handling this well at all. Clearly, this has been planned for a while, though not planned well enough to have already picked out a successor or with a plan to handle the PR fallout.

If only Josh Elliott had waited instead of surprising bosses with his CBSN departure. Also, as per Adweek, there was friction between Pelley and CBS News president David Rhodes. Pelley also personally arranged to have his office cleaned out.
Last edited by NYTV on 31 May 2017 3:35pm

8 days later

RK
Rkolsen
A while back I posted about a new unnamed NBC News unit. Well it debuted yesterday. It's called NBC Left Field.

With a logo that would make BBC Three proud.
AL
alexhb01
US Coverage of Comey Testimony which is being taken live on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX News & CNN.

16 days later

RK
Rkolsen
Some big news out of New York City. WNJU Telemundo 47, has become the first station to start full time broadcasting from One World Trade Center. Their sister station WNBC will join them later in the year. The press release makes it sound like that's when WNBC will surrender their spectrum and move their channels to the WNJU multiplex. WNJU's current lease at the Empire State Building expires June 30.

Another release also notes that this is the largest solid state transmitter in the world from Rhode & Schwartz at 66kw. It will also have the largest coverage area of any NYC station. The transmitter is currently operating on RF 36 and post repack channel 35. (The spectrum repack is done in stages and I forget when the deadline for NY is.)

You know with what happened during 9/11 I hope broadcasters maintain back up facilities. I'm sad to say that's still a strong possibility. Most stations scrambled to get back on air. Maybe NBCUniversal will keep their Empire State Building lease and rehab their transmitter.

If you speak Spanish here's a link from Telemundo47.

Newer posts