TV Home Forum

BBC Television Centre

Gets Grade II Listing (July 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Architecture minister Barbara Follett has grade II listed BBC Television Centre in White City, west London.

Following a request from English Heritage, the Department of Culture, Media & Sport ruled that the central ring and Studio One of the building, designed by Graham Dawbarn of Norman & Dawbarn, were both worthy of listing. The structures were built between 1955 and 1960.

While other studios in the building, as well as the scenery block and canteen, did not meet the level of architectural or historic interest needed for listing, they will nevertheless gain grade II status because of their “structural attachment” to the more notable parts of Television Centre.

Follett said: "BBC Television Centre has a special place in our shared history and heritage.

Building Design

Somewhat puts the BBC Disposing of the site in question
BP
bpmikey
At least the BBC doesn't have to think of a cover up to why the blue peter garden was to be demolished. NOw, its staying. Yeah!!!
NG
noggin Founding member

No - it just means that whoever buys it has to comply with Grade II listing. My understanding is that it doesn't mandate it staying a studio centre...

I think the bigger question at the moment is the property market causing the value of TV Centre and Elstree to drop like a stone...
DV
DVB Cornwall

No - it just means that whoever buys it has to comply with Grade II listing. My understanding is that it doesn't mandate it staying a studio centre...

I think the bigger question at the moment is the property market causing the value of TV Centre and Elstree to drop like a stone...

The plan as announced was to sell the land for development. Having a significant proportion of the site restricted by the listing has compromised it's value.
NG
noggin Founding member

The plan as announced was to sell the land for development. Having a significant proportion of the site restricted by the listing has compromised it's value.

Yes - but that doesn't mean that it won't still be sold. AIUI the listing is related to the exterior shell of the building (and possibly internal details of architectural merit - or is that only Grade I?)

It will certainly make it more difficult to sell - and it will be interesting to see how things play out. Fewer and fewer elements of the infrastructure at TV Centre are now vital for the BBC's day-to-day operation - though there are still some. However significant amounts of the infrastructure required (playout, transmission encoding etc.) have already mostly left.

Once News have gone to W1 and Sport and CBBC to Salford, the only key elements are really TC1 (a great size studio for shows like Strictly) and the current CCA (Central Comms Area) and Sat Ops (Satellite Operations). CCA will no doubt be relocated - but how Sat Ops is handled will be interesting.
BP
bpmikey
I agree. TVC will be rather empty, a shame, but for the BBC to save money whilst expanding their business, this has to happen.
IS
Inspector Sands
Quite glad that the Scenery Block and Canteen will be included as they are quite nice architecturally and quite fundamental parts of the centre (they were also the first two parts to be finished and open). I wonder how much of the rest of the building is now listed - the Spur/Stage5/Stage 6 for example, surely they won't be included (even though most of the 'torture chamber for politicians' is in the Spur).

It would be nice if the listing meant that the centre was scaled back to more like what it was originally - without the periphery offices, East Tower and all the gumph around the bottom of it. Although who would be willing to buy/use it I have no idea... perhaps we'll be able to buy flats overlooking the courtyard in a few years?
TR
trivialmatters
East Tower is being demolished when CBBC leaves it.

I imagine the end result is that they'll sell most of the land, but keep the actual donut part and studio 1 as a studio building, selling/closing most of the land such as the spur etc.
BH
Bvsh Hovse
I imagine the end result is that they'll sell most of the land, but keep the actual donut part and studio 1 as a studio building, selling/closing most of the land such as the spur etc.

I'm going to interested to see how this pans out, as it would be a very difficult site if you demolished everything except the listed bits. I've been looking at Google Earth to work out how the site could be carved up, there are a couple of quick easy wins (East Tower area and Stages 5+6 / Spur area with maybe TC8 too) but beyond that you are working round the buildings that get left. I imagine access and security would start to get tricky quite quickly if the rest of the site remained in use.

I didn't realise how far south the site went until I looked at the Google Earth photos though, I've never ventured any further down that part of the site than Snack Express.
NG
noggin Founding member
I wonder how much of the rest of the building is now listed - the Spur/Stage5/Stage 6 for example, surely they won't be included (even though most of the 'torture chamber for politicians' is in the Spur).

Hmm - most of the "political torturing" goes on on Newsnight, and the Sunday political shows (Frost/Marr and On The Record/The Politics Show). These haven't ever come from the Spur - they've always been in "main block" studios in the doughnut (or at Lime Grove in the case of Newsnight?) - with occasional OBs.
NG
noggin Founding member
Looking at the Ariel article on the listing it suggests that the listing is JUST the Doughnut (i.e. the 7 story central ring) and TC1 and none of the other studios - which extend out of the doughnut.

Whether it would be feasible to demolish TC2 - TC7, along with TC8, Spur aka Stage IV, Stage V and Stage VI I don't know. I suspect anything is feasible with the right cheque book.

Don't think anyone would miss the periphery pre-fabs or the pretty shabby stuff extending out on the 7th floor.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I wonder how much of the rest of the building is now listed - the Spur/Stage5/Stage 6 for example, surely they won't be included (even though most of the 'torture chamber for politicians' is in the Spur).

Hmm - most of the "political torturing" goes on on Newsnight, and the Sunday political shows (Frost/Marr and On The Record/The Politics Show). These haven't ever come from the Spur - they've always been in "main block" studios in the doughnut (or at Lime Grove in the case of Newsnight?) - with occasional OBs.

Don't forget radio studio S1, in the news centre - home of Today and PM.

Newer posts