The Newsroom

CNN Moving to Hudson Yards -NYC

CNN is set to leave its Columbus Circle Studio and move to the New Hudson Yards Complex (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
Keep in mind this is one aspect. I’m sure there are many more studios available for them to use. If the newsroom set is something that worked for them why not continue to evolve it. If they don’t want the newsroom backdrop fully they can just rotate the desk to that one LED wall.
GI
ginnyfan
This looks like the exact copy of the messy thing they have now. It's a mini set in the middle of the newsroom, even the ugly glass desk is the same. At least I thought the anchor would have the position in the middle of the desk with the newsroom behind him in the main shot but no, it's the same right side of the desk position with the newswall background. How bland!
GI
ginnyfan

JU
Justin
I really don't mind a set stuck in the middle of a newsroom, it adds energy to the broadcast that a shoe-box shaped light box monstrosity never will. But the tiny amount of room that CNN has allocated it and the hideous looking desk really does baffle me.
Mouseboy33 and Brekkie gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
Im in no way defending that awful desk. But I guess the newsroom itself wouldnt be any larger considering the size of the CNN Centre newsroom. And they will also be using other sets apparently for their primetime programmes. It will be interesting to see. But there isnt much there design-wise. Its just a video wall in the background and on the floor and on the side.
RK
Rkolsen
CNN has five studios built in total and they should be launching over the next five weeks. Newsroom based shows should launch Monday.
NE
Newsroom
Early Start is broadcasting from Hudson Yards this morning.
MO
Mouseboy33
From Ms Romans twitter
GI
ginnyfan
I love it, looks great! Newsroom looks quite big somehow, I guess it's because the set is in a higher position. They are using it for morning Newsroom edition and At this Hour as well. The lights and backgrounds are different.

I wish they do the same with their new London newsroom/set.

Last edited by ginnyfan on 6 May 2019 4:14pm
SE
seamus
It actually looks quite nice on screen, especially those video walls at the back of the set. As others have said, it reminds me of a brighter pre-2005 Sky News. The previous NY newsroom set seemed pretty haphazard with the video backdrops being oddly angled, so even though this is an evolutionary change, it's still a worthy upgrade.
MO
Mouseboy33
Here is another shot of the workspaces right behind the cameras, same set up as before. As many have said its not horrible, but its not spectacular. Still feels "makeshift-y" somehow.
B Stelter Twitter
Of course we knew it wasnt going to be a huge space as NY functions as a bureau and as the main broadcast site, with the main newsroom still at CNN Center. I personally was expecting more than just white paint on the walls and the row of screens over the office doors on the right side. I do like the big screen in the back. I can certainly see that being expanded eventually to cover the entire back wall. CNN love its screens. I do notice there is hardly any hard branding anywhere to be seen on screen. There is one CNN logo to the extreme left of the camera and not prominent at all. There are far more logos on the screens. VERY UNUSUAL. I was kinda expecting the newsroom to look like an updated version CNN Washington Set 2.0 in a newsroom setting. The big glossy CNN red desk or something.
CNN WASHINGTON DC
Their go to design firm was CLICKSPRING. And apparently they credited with this. Seems like CLICKSPRING only did the actual set space. The plaform and desk. Because they rest looks like it was done in house. So I expected something else. The channel had a signature look because they the same design firm. Then things when off the rails.
CNN CENTER HQ ATLANTA
I hope they dont plan on bring that NEW DAY brick monstrosity over. Hate that thing. While not a disaster its not that impressive overall.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 6 May 2019 7:05pm - 6 times in total
NE
Newsroom
I love this new look. Surprised that Kate's show is coming from the newsroom.

Article here https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/05/06/cnn-studio-17n-hudson-yards/

Newer posts