TV Home Forum

EastEnders

Kate Oates joins as Exec Producer (June 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
Obviously being at school I rarely saw any of this but isn’t it odd how “The Morning on BBC1” starts a good 90 mins into the daytime schedule...

Well, before the 'stEnders repeats it began at 9am, incorporating Kilroy, but the Radio Times could never work out whether it should be included in it or not.
JA
james-2001
Something I, as a 90s kid, just can't fail to notice reading the credits of these repeats 🤔

JM
JamesM0984
Anoraky edit watch: A Gary Glitter poster was left in yesterday's first episode whilst Lou and Ethel were talking about Nick Cotton walking away from the shop.
BU
buster
Some of his music was on in the background too. Not much you can do about that, though
DA
davidhorman
Some of his music was on in the background too. Not much you can do about that, though

It shouldn't be too hard - mathematically speaking, anyway - to subtract it from the existing soundtrack - at least enough that you could then cover up the residuals with something else.

It'd still cost someone's time and effort, of course.
JA
JAS84
I reckon it's simply that nobody noticed. Like that Tweenies episode where one of them dressed up as Jimmy Savile, it got complaints when it was repeated after he was disgraced, and it was then banned.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 9:08pm
JM
JamesM0984
What is there to seriously be offended about in a picture of Gary Glitter briefly appearing in the background in a decades old show?

One of the show's main characters committed a far more serious offence (murder) and he's in your face, live in the flesh every episode.

Nobody seems much offended by that anymore.

Why is Gary Glitter edited out of TOTP?

It was incredibly brave of the BBC to stick by Grantham, I imagine they wouldn't today.

Although to be fair, we all remember that Webcam pic. So I kind of take your point.
SC
Si-Co

It shouldn't be too hard - mathematically speaking, anyway - to subtract it from the existing soundtrack - at least enough that you could then cover up the residuals with something else.

Is it really that easy and inexpensive to remove a background track from a scene that no longer exists in any “clean” format? Numerous programmes have not been repeated nor released on DVD due to rights issues with background music in scenes - or at least that’s the reason that’s been given. If it were relatively straightforward to remove this music then surely that would have been done in these cases.

As for a picture of Glitter (or Savile et al) that appears merely as set dressing (and is not acknowledged in the script) then I fail to see a huge isssue in its inclusion. Otherwise you’re effectively rewriting history and making out the person didn’t exist.
WH
Whataday Founding member
The first (BBC) series of Birds of a Feather featured quite a lot of music which they've never been able to clear for commercial release. Instead they used sound-alike tracks and dipped the audio only when the characters spoke. Makes for some very odd scenes.
JM
JamesM0984
Si-Co posted:

Is it really that easy and inexpensive to remove a background track from a scene that no longer exists in any “clean” format? Numerous programmes have not been repeated nor released on DVD due to rights issues with background music in scenes - or at least that’s the reason that’s been given. If it were relatively straightforward to remove this music then surely that would have been done in these cases.

As for a picture of Glitter (or Savile et al) that appears merely as set dressing (and is not acknowledged in the script) then I fail to see a huge isssue in its inclusion. Otherwise you’re effectively rewriting history and making out the person didn’t exist.

But isn't that effectively what happens elsewhere?
TI
tightrope78
What is there to seriously be offended about in a picture of Gary Glitter briefly appearing in the background in a decades old show?

One of the show's main characters committed a far more serious offence (murder) and he's in your face, live in the flesh every episode.

Nobody seems much offended by that anymore.

Why is Gary Glitter edited out of TOTP?

Have you been living under a rock for the past 20 years? If so I’d suggest consulting Google.

Newer posts