(June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
awful just awful ideas.............
WM
W M
Johnr posted:
I miss the totally random jukebox myself.

Great example. The thing is they could have completely taken the p**s with that, but they actually tried to give an illusion of it being genuinely random.

To be honest, maybe the best thing to do would be to move BGT to Autumn and change that to a multi week format, with maybe a different city's theatre used to host each week. I've never gotten into BGT but it certainly must be the more popular of the two shows (although that too got beaten by Eurovision this year for the first time since 2011.)

What? Then throw BGT, a very successful Spring/Summer format up against Strictly?
JK
JKDerry
W M posted:
Johnr posted:
I miss the totally random jukebox myself.

Great example. The thing is they could have completely taken the p**s with that, but they actually tried to give an illusion of it being genuinely random.

To be honest, maybe the best thing to do would be to move BGT to Autumn and change that to a multi week format, with maybe a different city's theatre used to host each week. I've never gotten into BGT but it certainly must be the more popular of the two shows (although that too got beaten by Eurovision this year for the first time since 2011.)

What? Then throw BGT, a very successful Spring/Summer format up against Strictly?

The whole concept of BGT is that the prize is not just the money, but a spot on that years Royal Variety Performance in front of the royal family. ITV hold exclusive rights to make and air the performance, and so use it to the full with BGT.

The performance is always held in late November, early December, as a prelude to Christmas, so BGT would lose that key part of the show if they moved it to the October - December schedules.

Plus SCD would thrash it too in the ratings I am sure.
DE
DE88
XF will remain an autumn show for the rest of its life. Likewise BGT will remain a spring fixture.

On a related note, I'd be surprised if The Apprentice returned to its old spring slot. It has aired in the autumn in each of the last four years, and will surely do so again this year. Of course, it has aired in the autumn to avoid clashing with elections, major sporting events and a certain referendum - but it has aired at this time of year long enough now that I reckon a considerable amount of viewers would find it strange if it went back to airing in the spring.
JM
JamesM0984
I've never seen the attraction of Strictly. X Factor is more interesting.
DE
DE88

Fair enough... but you're probably in the minority at this stage. Wink
JM
JamesM0984
DE88 posted:

Fair enough... but you're probably in the minority at this stage. Wink

Well I am of course. BARB proves that. But production wise, it's not as slick as X Factor. Bruce aside, it's not evolved from where it was 12/13 years ago.

I don't know how you breathe new life into X Factor. It used to smash Strictly on a Saturday night, but the truth is many of today's contestants are potentially too young to remember even Leona Lewis. They haven't discovered a major act since Little Mix. Many slated the 2011 season but ultimately, it produced the biggest winner.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
X Factor is better at producing stars for musicals, panto, TV presenting and even future Strictly contestants than actual pop acts.

The Strictly formula has not been messed with for years, and it's glossier than it used to be. I wonder though when it will wear off, it is fundamentally the same thing every year.
WH
Whataday Founding member
The whole concept of BGT is that the prize is not just the money, but a spot on that years Royal Variety Performance in front of the royal family. ITV hold exclusive rights to make and air the performance, and so use it to the full with BGT.

Do ITV actually hold permanent rights to the RVP now?
SE
Square Eyes Founding member

They were awarded the rights for 10 years. That runs until 2021.
JK
JKDerry

They were awarded the rights for 10 years. That runs until 2021.

They managed a ten year deal, which more than likely will be renewed in 2022 as ITV have always considered themselves the home to this type of show, as in 1955 they did launch Sunday Night at the London Palladium.

BGT relies on the RVP as a big part of their prize, along with the £250,000, it is the prestige of performing in front of the royal family in such a big annual event. I doubt ITV would ever want to ditch that.
CW
CraigWills
The problem is with X Factor the winners and high placed contestants don’t go anywhere whereas Strictly there’s no expection of the winners to do anything but even then they seem to get a few more tv gigs. You can give or take a few count on one hand the number of X Factors stars making chart music - One Direction and Little Mix being the stand out stars, the former didn’t even win. James Arthur and Olly Murs still doing okay but that’s about it. Louisa Johnson is the only winner since Litrle Mix to really do anything. Five acts who in the amount of the time it’s being going, not brilliant.

Newer posts