TV Home Forum

Timezones and international live events

(November 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KU
Kunst
How about kickoffs for football-type sports? Does Italy usually have them at 9pm? I believe that's pretty common in France and Spain.

One example of the 'unusual' times to suit television was the 2008 CL final in Moscow... a 10.45pm kickoff local time, meaning 7.45 in the UK.

Conversely, the 2018 World Cup Final in Russia will be at 4pm UK / 7pm Moscow time, and it might clash with Wimbledon, so y'know, it's very hard to please everybody. The Rugby World Cup Final's 9pm start in New Zealand (10am UK) was a bit of a sore point in NZ as I recall.

Apparently Spain had some domestic football 11pm kickoffs in 2012? Shocked https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/complete-and-utter-shock-spain-midnight-football-proves-rather-unpopular

We have night football matches in Italy, but usually they're at 8:30, not 9pm Smile
KU
Kunst
Kunst posted:
How about kickoffs for football-type sports? Does Italy usually have them at 9pm? I believe that's pretty common in France and Spain.

One example of the 'unusual' times to suit television was the 2008 CL final in Moscow... a 10.45pm kickoff local time, meaning 7.45 in the UK.

Conversely, the 2018 World Cup Final in Russia will be at 4pm UK / 7pm Moscow time, and it might clash with Wimbledon, so y'know, it's very hard to please everybody. The Rugby World Cup Final's 9pm start in New Zealand (10am UK) was a bit of a sore point in NZ as I recall.

Apparently Spain had some domestic football 11pm kickoffs in 2012? Shocked https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/complete-and-utter-shock-spain-midnight-football-proves-rather-unpopular

We have night football matches in Italy, but usually they're at 8:30, not 9pm Smile

Ok 8:45pm to be exact Smile
DV
dvboy
Kunst posted:
Still, 6pm sounds too early for me: is 6pm really the time when family comes together to watch TV, in the UK, or it's more like 7pm?

6pm is the evening news, 7pm is when entertainment programmes start, the biggest audiences are for 8pm and 9pm shows. We have our evening meals earlier than most Europeans. We are more likely to be at home and indoors in the evening than you with your warmer weather.
KU
Kunst
dvboy posted:
Kunst posted:
Still, 6pm sounds too early for me: is 6pm really the time when family comes together to watch TV, in the UK, or it's more like 7pm?

6pm is the evening news, 7pm is when entertainment programmes start, the biggest audiences are for 8pm and 9pm shows. We have our evening meals earlier than most Europeans. We are more likely to be at home and indoors in the evening than you with your warmer weather.

Thanks Smile
However,warmer weather explains some things but not everything Very Happy

For instance, Germany (and I've been there recently), with a similar weather, has the "TV concept" not dissimilar from the one found in Italy, just one hour earlier

Again, if it was for me, I'd move the news at 7:30pm and have the prime time starting at 8pm
NT
Night Thoughts

Barcelona hosted a midnight kick-off in 2003 to get around a Uefa ruling: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/3077090.stm
S7
sbahnhof 7

Pardon me - it's 6pm in Moscow, since daylight was abolished Confused So in some other Russian regions the match has an evening timeslot.
BR
Brekkie
since daylight was abolished

I knew Putin was harsh but not that harsh!
JO
Jon
He should be careful it didn’t turn out too well for Mr Burns.
JA
JAS84
Conversely, the 2018 World Cup Final in Russia will be at 4pm UK / 7pm Moscow time, and it might clash with Wimbledon, so y'know, it's very hard to please everybody.

The BBC certainly won't be happy with that. I guess which channel airs which sport will depend on who's playing. If there's a Brit in the Wimbledon final, that'll be on One and the football on Two. If not, it'll be the other way around.
RD
rdd Founding member
Unless England make the final, of course...
EX
excel99
dvboy posted:
Kunst posted:

6pm is the evening news, 7pm is when entertainment programmes start, the biggest audiences are for 8pm and 9pm shows. We have our evening meals earlier than most Europeans.

Although in the context of discussing Eurovision, and some sport scheduling, weekends are a bit different to weekdays. Entertainment programming in the 6pm hour is usual on a Saturday, and many families would start to watch TV together in the 6pm hour at the weekend, at least in Autumn/Winter/early Spring. Indeed by far and away the biggest Saturday night programme of the Winter, Strictly Come Dancing, starts before 7pm on a Saturday and doesn't go on that long after 8pm. In contrast for many weeks of the year the Saturday 9pm hour doesn't rate hugely, especially with the decline of The X Factor. (Eurovision must be one of the BBC's highest rated Saturday 9pm hours of the entire year)
BR
Brekkie
The UK is a bit of an oddity when it comes to Saturday night TV though compared to other countries where it's pretty much a dead night of the week, with the assumption viewers might actually go out.

Even in the UK though it's changed significantly over the last 10-15 years. Previously both the BBC and ITV would schedule a pretty full Saturday night with new programming from 5.30pm through to past 11pm, but now as you say it tends to be concentrated between 7-9pm, though of course MOTD gets a significant audience at 10.30pm.

Newer posts