The Newsroom

US Presidential Election 2016

Run up to election graphics and coverage (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
newsman1
Of course NBC news has an EX itv employee working for them, so you may be forgive in think it was ITV full time.

I assume you're referring to Deborah Turness. By the way, the position of ITV national news editor is an ITN job.

Close its Bill Neely

Nevertheless, Bill was an employee of ITN, not ITV, on ITV News before he joined NBC.
NE
News96
BBC News Channel details for Coverage of the US Election on November 8th/9th (from Digiguide).

November 8th
9:00pm-11:15pm-US Election BBC News Special (in place of Outside Source and The Papers.)

11;15pm-6:00am-Election Night in America as BBC1.

November 9th
9:00am -1:00pm US Election BBC News Special With Clive Myrie-also on BBC2 until 12:00pm (so no Victoria Derbyshire or Newsroom Live)

7:30-8:00-Who's Won the White House
IS
Inspector Sands
Here's what BBC radio is doing:

Radio 4:
http://www.radiotimes.com/radio-programme/e/ffq2cr/america-decides

5 Live:
http://www.radiotimes.com/radio-programme/e/ffq2fv/up-all-night--america-decides
BR
Brekkie
ITV News will do their usual coverage from their green screen studio in London with a variation on their ITV National News background. They will have a partnership with NBC News as they always do, so this means a reporter will be based at 30 Rockefeller Plaza as was the case in 2012. Why would ITV alter a reasonable format that has played well for them in 2008 and 2012.

I sort of wonder why ITV bother really? I mean, anyone watching in the UK is likely to be watching the BBC or one of the US news channels, if they've got access to them. What do ITV bring to the party? I suppose you could say the same about a UK general election, but clearly ITV have a duty and responsibility to cover that, but US elections? Not so much.

I've always opted for ITV coverage of elections and although they still get thrashed the gap has been closing over recent years and certainly critically speaking ITV has won much praise for its approach over the last 2-3 major votes.
Last edited by Brekkie on 28 October 2016 6:22pm
AA
Aaron_2015
ITV News were miles ahead in the EU Referendum Coverage. First to declare the result in many areas, and the first to officially declare the overall result. Hopefully their coverage of the US Election will be of a similar quality.

It's good to have a number of choices for these big events, which is why I'm glad ITV bother despite always being beaten by the BBC.
newsman1, Brekkie and Nicky gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Tom Bradby in Washington and Julie Etchingham in New York on election night.

Quote:
POLITICAL: Trump v Clinton: The Result
On: itv Granada (3)
Date: Tuesday 8th November 2016 (starting in 11 days)
Time: 10:40 PM to 6:00 AM (7 hours and 20 minutes long)

Tom Bradby presents an ITV News special live from Washington DC as America decides who will be its next president. There are results from the key swing states as they happen and a chart of the winning candidate's route to the White House. Julie Etchingham is in New York speaking to the big names in American politics and society. ITV News is live in Ohio, Florida and Nevada to hear from those communities which this election has divided. There is expert analysis from a team of pollsters - and Washington correspondent Robert Moore - who make sense of the results as they happen.
(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=152398

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

How does coverage usually work in the US - I'm guessing it begins in primetime (or earlier) based on our programmming, and presumably before the polls close in many states too. I guess to the US networks would want a result in primetime, not at 3am in the morning.
MO
Mouseboy33
Yeah it usually ramps ups during primetime and typically the results dont take that long, what with all the exit polling that exists allowing the results to come in fairly quickly. Of course the news channels will be crack addict mode so they will be all over it. But i doubt that getting the results during primetime is a consideration. But people will be voting all day (early votins started days ago) and the results usually start dribbling in before the 100% mark for each county in the country is reached sometimes. Not sure if results are embargoed. Dont that do that with UK elections?

So its "almost realtime" results...SORTA. Rather the full state or county results being shown, the channels can pull up the results by county and see that vote as it comes in. So like in the UK they will have the final riding results and then declare the final number. You see the votes case for each candidate and then the percentage of the votes cast this is typically by county. So its definitely not like the UK general elections where they are declaring the final votes from each riding which takes hours to go round the country for the result.. The country is just too big for that. Thought I do think its fascinating to watch the UK results. The voting process in the US isnt administered by the national government its done on a state level and then by county usually.

Im sure if I got something wrong someone will fill in the blanks. Smile
AA
Aaron_2015
I've never stayed up for a US election before, what sort of time do things start to get interesting? I don't imagine there is all that much for UK broadcasters to discuss at 10:40PM, but I might be wrong.
DV
dvboy
Sky Atlantic has a big TBA on election night so I assume they are simulcasting Sky News.

BBC Parliament are simulcasting C-SPAN coverage from 1am to 10:30am.
BR
Brekkie
UK broadcasters cannot broadcast anything during the voting hours (7am-10pm nationwide) which could be deemed to influence how people vote, but after then it's all fair game so where a call can be made, either based on exit polls, early indications at vote counts or trends based on the earlier declarations, the broadcasters will generally make it - though the BBC are more likely to wait for official confirmation.

It seems your polls close around 7pm local time (no wonder turnout is so low!) and of course the time zones complicates things considerably, but I'm assuming a broadcaster on the West Coast can broadcast results coming in from the East Coast before the polls close in their area.
Footballer and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
I've never stayed up for a US election before, what sort of time do things start to get interesting? I don't imagine there is all that much for UK broadcasters to discuss at 10:40PM, but I might be wrong.

11:00 EDT (New York) (4am UK ??) the real numbers start popping up. I would imagine things start becoming clear, but nothing is set in stone. This is an unusual election by all accounts. So who knows. Plus you have loads of other races on the ticket as well. Not just presidential ballot. So the state legislatures will look different and the Congress as well. So its all change. I think the coverage will consist of Presidential results and state races as well. Because the make-up of the congress will determine what the president is actually able to accomplish realistically.
MO
Mouseboy33

It seems your polls close around 7pm local time (no wonder turnout is so low!) and of course the time zones complicates things considerably, but I'm assuming a broadcaster on the West Coast can broadcast results coming in from the East Coast before the polls close in their area.

I dont think the UK has early voting. (Correct me if Im wrong). So by 7pm most people who are gonna vote have voted. But there are always exceptions. Especially this year. Probably will be a nightmare. Well the broadcasters are national isnt it. So they will be broadcasting live across the country. Regardless of the time. But in my experience the broadcasters seems to be fairly sensitive of the West Coast vote. CA is can be a swing state. But this year everything is so different so who knows. No one is waiting around for Alaska or Hawaii. LOL.

Newer posts