TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2015 - 60th Anniversary Edition

19 - 21 - 23 May 2015 - Sweden's Mans Zelmerlow wins with 'Heroes' (March 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
I can see the comparison to 'Doop' but it's nothing like it.

Doop created a dance track by sampling 1920's charleston and big band music - which is what this song is imitating. There are a few bands around that have a similar idea, the 20's thing is a bit of a niche trend though.

As for the song itself, well it's certainly very different. I like it, apart from the scat bit. I don't think it'll do that well though
GL
Gluben
Doop, Bird's Eye Potato Waffles, ZZ Top in Back to the Future: Part III...

Whatever it sounds like, I love it. It won't win, but it's catchy and doesn't sound like a ballad or the current charts (except maybe a Caro Emerald track), which, for me, is great.
RS
Rob_Schneider
Is it just me or does it sound like the Scissor Sisters covering Bare Necessities from Jungle Book?
BH
BillyH Founding member
My favourite part about the whole thing is that out of all the entrants, they choose a bloke who's been writing UK Eurovision entries for the BBC since 1974. So basically, as usual with these things, no one outside of the industry genuinely had a chance.

It reminds me of the Speaking Clock "auditions" that went to a professional voiceover, and that 'Soapstars' programme which ended up choosing a load of professional actors anyway.
DE
deejay
I don't think it's all that bad, in fact compared to the recent pop legend power ballads it stands out as something different. Having something different on the night is quite important in getting votes. For me the song doesn't quite go anywhere though and it could do with a bigger finish (and dare I say it, a key change?)

It's not a big band though, so recreating that credibly on the night shouldn't be too hard : 2 backing vocals, drummer and a fiddler...? I'd like to see the UV idea taken through to the performance too, Melodifestivalen did an interesting thing a few years ago with light strips built into costumes ... something similar during the scat bit might capture the 'being different on the night' bit well

Last edited by deejay on 8 March 2015 10:26am
MF
MatthewFirth
This song will not get nul points since I believe it's better than other crap entries such as That Sounds Good to Me, Flying The Flag and Bye Bye Baby. BUT it's still crap! So at least 23rd, please!
RS
Rob_Schneider
It's the bloke who wrote the Jim'll Fix It theme tune.

Make of that what you will.
NG
noggin Founding member
It's the bloke who wrote the Jim'll Fix It theme tune.

Make of that what you will.

He also wrote a number of Song for Europe entries in the 70s (!) and more recently TV Themes like Challenge Anneka... I don't think you can tar someone with a Yewtree brush just for writing the theme music to a show that was presented by Savile... (And whilst, personally, I hated Jim'll Fix It, the only thing I liked about it was the theme tune)
DV
DVB Cornwall
There seems to be a right hoo-ha going on with all sorts of unexpected people muttering support on Twitter, is it orchestrated? It's by no means growing on me, the reverse actually.

Not seen a reception to an entry like this in years. So atypical of twenty first century popular music.
RO
rob Founding member
I think it's alright. It won't win, but it's better than previous efforts...
Stedixon and Put The Telly On gave kudos
RD
RDJ
There seems to be a right hoo-ha going on with all sorts of unexpected people muttering support on Twitter, is it orchestrated? It's by no means growing on me, the reverse actually.

Not seen a reception to an entry like this in years. So atypical of twenty first century popular music.

I remember there was some negativity when Josh Dubovie entered and Pete Waterman's song was very outdated to say the least.

This time around, I think it's more fired up because we didn't get a say on the matter. If we did get a choice, Then we'd only have ourselves to blame. That said I've seen lots of European reaction complaining the UK aren't taking it seriously when the British music scene is so acclaimed worldwide.

I, for one, think this is a bit of a stinker. Catchy when you've played it a few times but listening to it first time around and it's an embarrassment. I see another Jemini situation happening.
DO
dosxuk
My favourite part about the whole thing is that out of all the entrants, they choose a bloke who's been writing UK Eurovision entries for the BBC since 1974. So basically, as usual with these things, no one outside of the industry genuinely had a chance.

Are you really surprised that in a competition open to amateurs and professionals, it was won by someone who is good enough to do what was asked that they can make a living from it?

Remember everybody in the music industry today was once outside it.

Newer posts