The Gallery

BBC Two Northern Ireland 2015 in 1991

If 1991 slides and designs were used today. (February 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cavan
Hello all.

On 1st January, BBC Two brought back the 1990s idents on a more permanent basis (well, some of them at least). However, the lovely people at BBC Northern Ireland went the extra mile and brought back 35 idents compared to the Network's mere 9. On 13th January, all of the nations brought back a wide selection of stings.

Back to the mock though, what if the 1991 - 1997 presentation was brought back as well? I have centered my mock around BBC Two Northern Ireland as they have clearly demonstrated that they are more than capable of doing things like this.

To make the mock look more 90s-ish, I have simulated what it would look like on VHS.

UnVHSified snapshots -

PATV Scunthorpe and denton gave kudos
FA
fanoftv
Very lovely work. I think the only issue is the size of the BBC & especially 'Northern Ireland' under the logo. Other than that a very nice recreation/update.
PF
PFML84
No VHS footage would be that bad unless the machine was knackered. I don't think it needed to be so wobbly and distorted to give it the VHS effect to be honest.

Also, I think the positioning of the 2 on the slides could be more in to the corners, and it doesn't need the channel name and region identifier under it either. They didn't have that in the 90's, so it doesn't need to be in them now.
FI
FrancisIdents
Brilliant work. Love the subtle detail, really looks like it belongs on TV in the 90s.

Fanoftv makes a good point about the size of the "Northern Ireland" text on menus and ads, but apart from that it's perfect. 4 stars.
CA
Cavan
Paddy posted:
No VHS footage would be that bad unless the machine was knackered. I don't think it needed to be so wobbly and distorted to give it the VHS effect to be honest.

Fair point. I think I may have overdone the line sync a bit in Vegas.

Paddy posted:
Also, I think the positioning of the 2 on the slides could be more in to the corners, and it doesn't need the channel name and region identifier under it either. They didn't have that in the 90's, so it doesn't need to be in them now.

While I agree about the positioning of the 2, I don't quite agree with the statement about the channel name and region identifier. In 1991, when the old, slanted BBC logo was in use, it was positioned underneath the 2 in both the trails and the idents. I was attempting to replicate that in the mock.

Very lovely work. I think the only issue is the size of the BBC & especially 'Northern Ireland' under the logo. Other than that a very nice recreation/update.

I do agree that the logo is quite small in the trails and slides but do bare in mind, that the logo would be more legible in 576p or even 480p.
PF
PFML84
Cavan posted:
While I agree about the positioning of the 2, I don't quite agree with the statement about the channel name and region identifier. In 1991, when the old, slanted BBC logo was in use, it was positioned underneath the 2 in both the trails and the idents. I was attempting to replicate that in the mock.
Yes, that's a fair point. I didn't mean to sound so picky about it! I would have imagined the BBC would have been enough underneath it, like before, no need for the TWO or Northern Ireland, which even at 576p or even in HD would likely still be so small on screen it wouldn't be worth the effort!

Don't get me wrong, I do really like this. It would be nice if the BBC adpoted the 90's look fully instead of the mish-mash we're currently getting.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
I do like this but I do agree with others, no Two or Northern Ireland Smile 4 stars
BR
Brekkie
The text logo doesn't work under the 2 in the promos - would be better at the bottom left underneath it IMO (and a bit bigger), with perhaps the "2" only appearing at the start and end of the trailer.

Ultimately though it just goes to show how desperate it is to try and make a 24 year old concept work for today. As bloody brilliant as the idents were their life now is on Youtube and the likes of TV Ark, plus being dusted down occassionally for the anniversaries. BBC2 should be able to offer something better - and if they can't reinvent the "2" for 2015, drop it and move on.
Last edited by Brekkie on 18 February 2015 10:02pm
JU
Justin
Looks interesting though as everyone else has said, the logo under the 2 is too small, even for HD

Newer posts