The Newsroom

News at Ten - Weeknights on ITV1

"You might notice a difference" from Monday (October 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LI
lilhelen
anyone notice the close of todays programme? they played both the NAT end theme and the generic itv news theme both at the same time, sounded weird!
CO
Connews
Whoops! The NAT and ITV News closing music overlapped at the end tonight.

Professional. Rolling Eyes
MA
mattshaw
Something went a bit wrong with the sound there at the end of News at Ten.

It sounded like the final theme was played twice - one slightly behind the other! Laughing

Edit: Beaten to it - looks like it was the ITV News theme and the NaT theme.
LI
lilhelen
surely it cant be that hard, come on ITN!
SF
Selwyn Froggatt
Oops. looks like someone pressed the wrong button!

We got both the News at Ten and ITV News closing themes (stings?) at the end of tonight's bulletin.
BR
Brekkie
So which is better...

the ITV News theme - or News at Ten...

... there's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!!!!!
SF
Selwyn Froggatt
Brekkie posted:
So which is better...

the ITV News theme - or News at Ten...

... there's only one way to find out...

Very Happy

Looks like they've got ear cataracts

ear cataracts?
ear cataracts?
ear cataracts?
ear cataracts?

FIGHT!!!!!
LO
Londoner
Interesting to see an army recruitment ad running in the break before NaT during the week of reports from Afghanistan
MO
Moz
itsrobert posted:
Moz posted:
Quote:
The return of News at Ten...

Good News
69% [ 132 ]
Bad News
30% [ 59 ]

Be interesting if this poll could be reset and see what the answer is now!!! Probably reversed I'd have thought.

Why do you say that, Moz? There hasn't been that much criticism of News at Ten on here - and traditionally, TVF members are fairly critical of things.

NAT may not be the same as BBC News but it's not trying to be. Whichever way you look at it, ITV has raised its standards for NAT which can only be a positive thing. It's miles better than the News at 10.30 was.

I say it because they've failed. ITV would of course point to the fact that they've increased viewing figures over the previous 10.30 news, but their real aim was to beat the BBC Ten, and they've not got close. Egg on ITN's face - Bad News.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Moz posted:
itsrobert posted:
Moz posted:
Quote:
The return of News at Ten...

Good News
69% [ 132 ]
Bad News
30% [ 59 ]

Be interesting if this poll could be reset and see what the answer is now!!! Probably reversed I'd have thought.

Why do you say that, Moz? There hasn't been that much criticism of News at Ten on here - and traditionally, TVF members are fairly critical of things.

NAT may not be the same as BBC News but it's not trying to be. Whichever way you look at it, ITV has raised its standards for NAT which can only be a positive thing. It's miles better than the News at 10.30 was.

I say it because they've failed. ITV would of course point to the fact that they've increased viewing figures over the previous 10.30 news, but their real aim was to beat the BBC Ten, and they've not got close. Egg on ITN's face - Bad News.

When did ITV ever explicitly state they were aiming to beat the BBC? They chose to move the late news back to 10pm for other reasons. In the process, they have increased both the viewing figures for ITV's late bulletin and the 10-10.30pm slot. Not only that, but overall, more viewers are watching news (be it the BBC or ITV). That has to be a positive thing. I'd also say that the quality of ITV's late bulletin has increased, too.

I don't know where you get this idea that ITN has egg on its face. Just because a programme doesn't win in the ratings, doesn't mean it's a crap programme - far from it. Channel 4 News (also produced by ITN - if you're going to slag anyone off, then make it ITV rather than the talented ITN staff who are churning out quality programmes with very limited resources) doesn't beat the BBC or ITV bulletins but is arguably the best news programme on British television. I think you're way off on this one.
NE
Noelfirl
itsrobert posted:
When did ITV ever explicitly state they were aiming to beat the BBC? They chose to move the late news back to 10pm for other reasons.

It has to be conceeded that ITV never explicitly said it but Trevor made it relatively clear:

MediaGuardian posted:
McDonald said that "we're not in this to lose", but the BBC promised to be "fiercely competitive", with plans to unveil a new onscreen look for its regional and national news bulletins in the spring.

I think one thing the ratings have demonstrated since NaT returned is that in the prelaunch publicity ITV counted far too much on people wearing rose-tinted glasses.
BR
Brekkie
Of course.

As much as I think Trevor should go, anyone agree it might be an idea for ITV to try and regain ground as a serious news broadcaster by putting their own 1 minute summary out at 8pm agains the BBC's - but use Trevor (or indeed Julie) and make it a regular summary just to show how dumbed down the BBC's is in comparison. That could be a good tactic in re-establishing News at Ten as a credible brand.

Newer posts