The Newsroom

US Presidential Election 2016

Run up to election graphics and coverage (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
Here's what to look forward to on the BBC from 23:30 on the 8th November:
Quote:
Andrew Neil and Katty Kay will present live coverage from a studio overlooking Times Square, New York. Andrew and Katty will be joined by Democratic and Republican election analysts to discuss the results as they come in. Emily Maitlis will be there to keep track of the races in key states on a giant touchscreen as the votes are counted and Jeremy Vine will be analysing the exit polls with his usual eye catching virtual reality graphics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2016/45/us-election

ITV's coverage is from 22:40. Surprised Channel 4 aren't doing anything since they showed the debates.
RK
Rkolsen
dvboy posted:
Here's what to look forward to on the BBC from 23:30 on the 8th November:
Quote:
Andrew Neil and Katty Kay will present live coverage from a studio overlooking Times Square, New York. Andrew and Katty will be joined by Democratic and Republican election analysts to discuss the results as they come in. Emily Maitlis will be there to keep track of the races in key states on a giant touchscreen as the votes are counted and Jeremy Vine will be analysing the exit polls with his usual eye catching virtual reality graphics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2016/45/us-election

ITV's coverage is from 22:40. Surprised Channel 4 aren't doing anything since they showed the debates.

If I had to guess it seems like they'll becoming from ABC's Time Square Studios. I wonder how it will work out with the current set in place for the back half hour of Good Morning America. I don't know where ABC's election coverage will originate from but if they come from the main GMA Studio on the first floor they'd be able to share guests and steal ABC analysts easily enough.

NBC appears to be bringing back their Democracy Plaza. NBC and Telemundo in the past originated from custom built studios overlooking a corner of the Rockefeller Center Ice Rink which again will have a map in place.
DV
dvboy
I wonder how it will work out with the current set in place for the back half hour of Good Morning America.

The BBC will finish by 6:00 GMT / 1:00 ET, handing over to Breakfast, so will this be an issue?
JC
JosephConnor
dvboy posted:
I wonder how it will work out with the current set in place for the back half hour of Good Morning America.

The BBC will finish by 6:00 GMT / 1:00 ET, handing over to Breakfast, so will this be an issue?

There are lots of studios in Times Square (MTV for example), or the possibility of a temp structure... As far as I know, the BBC hasnt said anything about TSS?
RK
Rkolsen
dvboy posted:

I would guess BBC World and BBC News would continue past the start of breakfast. Even though elections are typically called by 12AM ET / 5:00 GMT things generally don't wrap up for a while afterwards. You have the speeches by the winner and a concession speech (but based on recent reports and polls it sounds like Trump wouldn't concede). Plus this year there's a strong chance of Trump supporters contesting the election to add into the mix.

All that being said if they were at Time Square Studios they could air simultaneously with Good Morning America as each floor has their own control room.
PI
picard
Im going to be torn between Sky and BBC.
MA
mark Founding member
If I had to guess it seems like they'll becoming from ABC's Time Square Studios. I wonder how it will work out with the current set in place for the back half hour of Good Morning America. I don't know where ABC's election coverage will originate from but if they come from the main GMA Studio on the first floor they'd be able to share guests and steal ABC analysts easily enough.

NBC appears to be bringing back their Democracy Plaza. NBC and Telemundo in the past originated from custom built studios overlooking a corner of the Rockefeller Center Ice Rink which again will have a map in place.

Given the relationship between the BBC and ABC, my guess is that the BBC will borrow the GMA ground floor studio (which ABC itself has used to good effect for less significant elections like the mid-terms and Super Tuesday). I'd imagine ABC's coverage would come from a specially-constructed set upstairs, which is what they did in 2000, 2008 and 2012.

Great to see the BBC breaking with its tradition of just using the World News America studio in DC.

Has anyone seen any press releases from the US networks?
MO
Mouseboy33
Video of the new Fox News Election studio.
Apparently FNC spent 30 million on this thing. I cant see that. But thats according to SetStudio.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 24 October 2016 4:48pm
CH
Charles
As an aside, I am amazed that FNC has gone to a uniform lower third design for (I think) every show now, and it's a pretty restrained one by their tastes. It also seems to have stuck around for quite a while, especially compared to their previous practice of redesigning the lower thirds for every show every few weeks/months.
MA
mark Founding member
As mentioned in the Sky News Presenters thread, Sky's election coverage will also come from 'a specially created studio overlooking Times Square':

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/sky-news-announces-multi-platform-us-election-coverage-plans

They'll be using this studio from Monday the 7th until Wednesday the 9th.
MO
Mouseboy33
dvboy posted:

There are lots of studios in Times Square (MTV for example), or the possibility of a temp structure... As far as I know, the BBC hasnt said anything about TSS?

http://www.newscaststudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ncs_good-morning-america-studio_017.jpg
I wonder if BBC will be using this GMA studio or if ABC News has dressed it up for their Election HQ. When it launched a few months ago it was said it will made available to outside broadcasters to use. Hence the walls and rostrum are all screens and can be changed for any broadcast or broadcaster to use. But something tells me ABC NEWS is using this space. Or I'd be suprised if they built something on the ground level studio.
MA
mark Founding member
ABC used that one in 2008 and 2012, so I'm expecting them to do so again - but who knows. All I know is that ABC, the BBC and Sky can't all be in that building.

I wonder if 'specially-created' in Sky's case means 'scaffolding'...?

Newer posts