The Newsroom

Central News East and South on Satellite from Monday

along with Anglia (East) and Scottish TV (East) (June 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AB
ab
Spotted this over on DigitalSpy's coming soon section. Surprised noone mentioned it earlier, though I guess it's not major news, but thought I'd point it out for those who may be interested.
WO
Whoosh Opt
ab posted:
Spotted this over on DigitalSpy's coming soon section. Surprised noone mentioned it earlier, though I guess it's not major news, but thought I'd point it out for those who may be interested.

Despite being in the East Midlands (Leicestershire), I personally am likely to be stuck with Central West anyway, since 101 is still BBC 1 WMids after all this time!

Thanks for that - interesting to note that Meridian West ("Newbury" service from Whiteley) isn't listed there.
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member
Nor is the other Tyne-Tees, which is a surprise to me.
GR
Gary Roberts
Nick Harvey posted:

And me.

BTW, what is "Scottish TV East"? I didn't know there was an eastern opt-out on Scotland Today. That's news to me! If there is one, I presume it's for viewers on the Craigkelly Transmitter (Edinburgh, Dunfermline and surrounding area)

The Craigkelly TX Area

YAY to Central East and Central South coming to satellite! Very Happy
JC
Jack Carkdale
in the topic title, ab posted:
Anglia East and Scottish TV East to follow on June 20th

Forgive my ignorance, but I was unaware that Scottish TV had sub-regions Embarassed

Could someone please fill me in re: how many Scottish TV sub-regions there are, what counties each covers, at which bulletin times they apply, etc etc...

EDIT: Only just noticed that Gary Roberts has already made this enquiry! Embarassed
NH
Unless something's changed recently, or is about to change, I'm only aware of splits for different commercials in different parts of the Scottish Television region. The same applies to the north and south parts of the Grampian region.

Must confess, that I'm WONDERING if the origianl poster over at Digital Spy had Tyne-Tees and Scottish mixed up; and that it's Tyne-Tees which is actually starting.

The latter would make FAR more sense, in view of the tests which have taken place.
SO
Steven O
Gary Roberts posted:
Nick Harvey posted:

And me.

BTW, what is "Scottish TV East"? I didn't know there was an eastern opt-out on Scotland Today. That's news to me! If there is one, I presume it's for viewers on the Craigkelly Transmitter (Edinburgh, Dunfermline and surrounding area)

The Craigkelly TX Area

YAY to Central East and Central South coming to satellite! Very Happy

There is a joker in the pack re the Scottish "split" - the Haddington repeater is a relay of Black Hill and so carries Scottish (West).
NH
So, Steven, am I right in saying that it's still only a split for commercials, with no separate news service or programmes?
AJ
A.J.A.
As far as I know, Scottish and Grampian are split into micro-regions for adverts - though isn't/wasn't there a plan to split the STV service to provide a section of news within Scotland Today for both the east and west?
AB
ab
It would certainly make sense having a Glasgow-based (West) news service and an Edinburgh-based (East) news service for Scottish TV.

Maybe it was decided to get this servive up and running on D-SAT in time for a launch of a separate East news/a new opt-out of Scotland Today, even if it's not launching for a while. I suppose, with it not being until June 20th, there is still time for an announcement to be made.

Perhaps this service is considered more important than the TyneTees split, as it covers a greater area.
JA
jay Founding member
http://www.scottishtv.co.uk/content/mediaassets/images/transmap.gif

Taken from scottishtv.co.uk
SO
Steven O
Nick Harvey posted:
So, Steven, am I right in saying that it's still only a split for commercials, with no separate news service or programmes?

Yep - some of the transmitters in the east are fed from the west, and vice-versa, which would create a headache for a news split.

Interesting to see that the Borders falls under Scottish South West and Scottish East for ads when Scottish TV doesn't even serve south Scotland!

Newer posts