The Newsroom

Weekend 24 - the return?

The BBC Weekend News thread (August 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DJ
David Jonathan
Lets change this into a general discussion about the presenters of weekend bulletins on BBC One. Who do you like/don't you like.
I'll add a poll to the thread in just a couple of minutes.
KA
Kaplinsky
I think they should be made a bit longer so they can include more news in. They cant really put much news in in ten minutes.
TE
TELEVISION
Kaplinsky posted:
I think they should be made a bit longer so they can include more news in. They cant really put much news in in ten minutes.

I agree, although they still get a lot more in than ITV do - they usually have 2 stories, in-brief, sometimes another story and then the sport. The BBC weekend bulletins seem to cover more world news than the weekday bulletins !
CU
cummig20
Jane and Matthew are definitely, in my opinion, the best two. They both managed to get the news across, but in an accessible way, and also aren't irritating to watch (like Darren Jordon bobbing up and down as he talks)
I think they also make a great partnership while on News24, who knows, maybe one day we'll see them sharing the six! (crosses fingers)
JW
JamesWorldNews
Talking of bobbing up and down whilst reading the news, the worst offender MUST be Martine Dennis on BBC World, although she is otherwise an excellent broadcaster.

I have lived abroad for ten years and have watched BBC World for most of those years. Compared to BBC World, BBC One News is totally tabloid and very unprofessional.

A surprising exception - there is only one person who gives the news straight, simple and without the need for excitable antics - Moira Stuart. Been at it for years and she is by far the best, although not heavyweight.

Bring her back to the weekend bulletins. We don't need Fiona's and Natasha's doing it.
TE
TELEVISION
BBC WORLD posted:
BBC One News is totally tabloid and very unprofessional.

No it is not, maybe regional news and Breakfast, but certainly not the One, Six and Ten. The Ten is the best, mostly world news on it.

If you want an example of tabloid news - look no further than ITV.
BN
Breakfast News
TELEVISION posted:
BBC WORLD posted:
BBC One News is totally tabloid and very unprofessional.

No it is not, maybe regional news and Breakfast, but certainly not the One, Six and Ten. The Ten is the best, mostly world news on it.

If you want an example of tabloid news - look no further than ITV.

Breakfast is not *tabloidy*. Honestly, a bit of fluff now and then makes it tabloidy - I don't think so. Channel 4 News has ligther items - and it is by no means *tabloidy*. Breakfast ALWAYS LEADS on a serious, news-worthy story. When have you ever seen Beckam et al be Breakfast's top story? Never.

And BBC WORLD, watch BBC ONE News - it is not tabloidy - as TELEVISION say try ITV News, or even Sky News.

Honestly Mad
NE
News24boy
I thought Ms Kaplinsky was unnecessarily downbeat tonight (2200), especially during the intro and valediction. Fair enough, there can be little cheer from the main story (aftermath of Russian school massacre) but even on Radio 4 they are taught to "camp it up" a bit at the start and end.
I realize that I have criticised Ms Kaplinsky in the past on this forum for appearing a little too trivial on Breakfast, but surely even the nationals deserve a little more charisma than tonight's show. All of which seemed to be at odds with her gregarious outfit, by the way!
NE
Neil__
BBC WORLD posted:
Bring her back to the weekend bulletins. We don't need Fiona's and Natasha's doing it.

You're going to get a slap for knocking FAB FIONA.

I realise that this post was both camp *and* in no way furthered the discussion, but I just don't care, okay? Wink
CS
Cerulean Sunrise
ok - own up - who voted for maxine mawhinney?
CU
cummig20
Quote:
I thought Ms Kaplinsky was unnecessarily downbeat tonight

The new Director of BBC News has (or so I've read) decided that news bulletins have to be more sombre without smiling when they are talking about disasters, and that at the end phrases such as George Alagiah's 'bye-bye' should go in favour of 'Good Evening/Goodbye' etc. Of course, with this coming from the Sunday Mail, it could be a load of crap.
:-(
A former member
Cerulean Sunrise posted:
ok - own up - who voted for maxine mawhinney?

I did, you got a problem with that?

Newer posts