TV Home Forum

Central West and BBC Midlands Thread

Central using Gas st reception as a studio. (January 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PE
Pete Founding member
Could somebody get some caps of this rather fab sounding Central set for us who are stuck in those desolate and chasos ridden places that are not part of the Midlands?
JC
Jack Carkdale
Isonstine posted:
Still...with East moving to Birmingham - I suppose this will mean that South's days are numbered. Understandable really...considering they're working with now ageing equipment so moving production to Birmingham (if they've got the space!?) would make sense.

As having West and East at Gas Street is already a bit of a squeeze, I can't imagine South going there too. Remember, it's not just a studio that'll be needed for each sub-region housed at Gas Street, but all the associated newsgathering infrastructure. The just ain't room for the third sub-region at Gas Street.

Isonstine posted:
If anything, it would have been better to move all the Central News' to Nottingham where there is a lot more space in both terms of office and studio. Still keep Birmingham going as the West newsroom and duty office - it's pretty much all it is now.

But isn't the Nottingham building very big? So, even with all three Central News' there, there would still be all the large studios (that used to house such things as Family Fortunes and resurrected Crossroads) lying disused. Hence the decision to close it - having a building that size, when there a no plans to make any programmes that will use them, is daft.

If they had decided to move all three CN's to Nottingham, it would also make sense to move Duty Office etc there, from Brum, as the idea is clearly to reduce the total number of buildings that ITVplc runs.

But, as Birmingham is "the 2nd City" (therefore making Nottingham no-more-than "the 3rd City" at best), to axe all Birmingham TV presence, in favour of Nottingham would be odd, so that was never gonna happen.
CC
CrusadeforCentral
I don't know why they don't just close down Central altogether for what it does now. Central has no production facilities, no idents, still no identity (although they have resurrected the Central name) and no decent studios.

I think ITV are planning to lock up the doors and pretend Central never existed, afterall Carlton did little else!
:-(
A former member
ITV Central does also host the weather for most old Carlton Regions, so thats taking up more space. It would be better for ITV Central to sell up, and build new studios, in the Birmingham Suburbs, because then it will be cheaper to run, as land values are less, and they can build their studios to the size that will be needed. Surely being right inside Birmingham is costing too much every year?!
WE
Westy2
Mr.B posted:
Westy2 posted:
Any idea when there will be another split, because I wouldn't mind having a listen next time?

I was reading another forum the other week(can't remember whether it was UK Radio or Digital Spy!), & it mentioned that you were using old WM jingles.(I'm guessing the old ones that have 'BBC Double U MMMM', as the news jingles, or were they of a later vintage?)

Couldn't 'Herr Flick' & co let you have a blank set of the new/current ones instead?

I'm sure there will be another split such as this in the future. No plans yet. On the DAB split, we were part of WCR - Wolverhampton Community Radio. The OB was to celebrate our 15th Anniversary. However, WCR has always had close ties with WM via the weekely community programme. Further, my friend is WM's engineer, plus he virtually set up and maintains WCR's studios, as well as doing weekend programming there (what a guy), as do I.

As for the jingles (yes, it was UKradio), we did allow ourselves the odd old short jingle during the 2 days, keeping in with the 1989 music we were playing. We do have access to *all* the masters (old and new), no problem Embarassed but sadly although we wanted to use the 60 second old news intro... WM thought that it wouldn't sound quite right (fair point!!), so we edited a 60 version of the current one, which sounded very nice!

It was a very good day for all involved, so now we've proved it can be done (we also did simultaneous opt in's to FM while broadcasting the DAB service separately...and all from 1 small stand!), I'm sure there will be more.

Westy2 posted:
I then flicked over to Classic Gold Digital WABC, to note Freshie was doing Drivetime. (How easy is it for the likes of Freshie to accidently say 'Beacon FM' on WABC btw?)

I used to work at Beacon for 11 years before moving to a Birmingham station (not BRMB), and I know Freshy! I'm surprised to hear he's on the WABC local opt-out - bring back Mike Wyer I say. Cool Lovely Fella!

I notice Mike's appearing on Saga WM now, according to the E&S.

As I've mentioned before, he was the only one AFAIK that did WABC PA's (eg.Sandwell Vehicle Parade ).

Again, according to the E&S, Freshie normally does 97.2 mid mornings at Beacon thesedays, but I don't listen now, not since the great cull of 1997 !

Interested to hear you worked at Tettenhall Road. My favourite prog was 'The Midnight Line', but I normally only caught it on Fri night / Sat mornings.

Great days with Ian Perry, Alan 'Fat Wallet' Nicklin(now at Telford & the Wolf), & all the regular callers, including 'Big E - Eric / Captain Napalm( 'Hang on Ian. I'm coming Ian etc'), The Captain & his pensioners.

I've got several C120 tapes of mostly 'Free For All Frenzies', all from Beacon transmissions, 'cos WABC was crap overnight on AM !

It's a shame the internet / text revolution into radio shows was too late for the show!

Why did you edit down a version of the current WM news jingle?

Surely you could have used the short versions normally used for the half hour summaries, or the version that Shrops/Stoke/H&W use for the regional late show/Sunday afternoon show?
WE
Westy2
According to on air comments, a new WM jingle package is expected on air within 1 to 2 weeks.

Keith Middleton is now back to the status of fill in presenter, as his stint on the Friday Late Show has now finished. (He's scheduled to stand in for Waddo & Julie w/c 23/8!) He has also done Saturday breakfast for the last 2 weeks too. (Is there a camp bed at the Mailbox?)

(The Footy phone ins are back next Friday, so it will be Drivetime 4 to 6, Phone in 6 to 8 at least. If they keep Midlands Masala, I suspect that will be 8 to 10, unless they bring back the Friday repeats of 'The Other Side Of', then I think that will be 8 to 9, with Masala from 9, but would they extend that to 12, then Jail Mail, or give Jail Mail 2 hours from 11 instead? (Haven't seen an RT, so I don't know!))

This Thursday between 6 & 7, on Drivetime , Franksy talks to Paul Merson, before his debut season as Walsall player / manager.

Good news. No Gaunty for 3 weeks Very Happy Very Happy (Tony Butler instead!)

He was back to his favourite subject, the unisex toilets, again.

I didn't catch all the conversation, but he managed to get in touch with some of the other presenters. Some he spoke to, but the likes of Franksy, Goldie & Mark 'Jack' Regan, the sports editor, didn't answer the call. (Don't blame them personally!)

Apparantly he is the 2nd most popular presenter(If I heard that right!), after Doolan !

He isn't fit to lace Doolan's boots IMO.
When Doolan retires, I hope Goldie gets the consumer show gig, 'cos he's had the experience, working with the ginger witch, Anne Robinson !
DA
DAS Founding member
Westy2 posted:
According to on air comments, a new WM jingle package is expected on air within 1 to 2 weeks.

And I don't like it. And if I don't like it, it shouldn't be used quite simply.
RE
Reuben
jordo posted:
I emailed Dan Barton to ask if all the bulletins can now come from the temporary set instead of the CSO, and he says its because of "techinical difficulties" that all bulletins cant come from the main set.

why would we want to have all the bulletins come from the reception set? i wonder what visitors to itv central see then if this is supposed to be the reception area.
A former member
I have to say, I did like the live link from Birmignham New Street on MT last night on the CSO with Suzanne - the first time I'd seen something like that on the programme. Does anyone know if they've ever done that before?
PO
Pootle5
jordo posted:
ITV Central does also host the weather for most old Carlton Regions, so thats taking up more space. It would be better for ITV Central to sell up, and build new studios, in the Birmingham Suburbs, because then it will be cheaper to run, as land values are less, and they can build their studios to the size that will be needed. Surely being right inside Birmingham is costing too much every year?!

As they built the Gas Street building only about 10 years ago, and own it what would be the point of moving again? Also, the BBC have had difficulty finding an appropriate site for their new production studio (for Doctors) etc in the suburbs, and the land isn't necessarilly cheaper as there is great pressure for new housing developments.

What they could do is build a joint centre with the BBC like they are proposing in Manchester and share some of the space and facilities. There is also the empty Gas Retort House building and offices adjoining the Gas Street building - they could lease or buy these if they really do need extra space.
A former member
Reuben posted:
jordo posted:
I emailed Dan Barton to ask if all the bulletins can now come from the temporary set instead of the CSO, and he says its because of "techinical difficulties" that all bulletins cant come from the main set.

why would we want to have all the bulletins come from the reception set? i wonder what visitors to itv central see then if this is supposed to be the reception area.

It would be better than the current looking CSO though.
CC
CrusadeforCentral
Does anyone know what the new Central News West set will look like? Will it be exactly the same as the current set?

I take it that Bob Warman is on holiday seeing as Jo and Llewella are both co-presenting at the moment?

Newer posts