The Newsroom

Virginia TV Crew shot and killed Live on Air

Horrible story... (August 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
WDBJ-7 is taking the presser from WSLS with credit.
MO
Mouseboy33
In typical fashion, the Daily Mail reduces this journalist and woman to a caricature. "newsgirl". How arrogant and sexist.

Several papers went with this nice image on their front page of the camera man and reporter smiling. Of course the tabs with the the shooter POV image. The Sun of course pauses at the millisecond the flash is coming out of the muzzle. @nicksutton from BBC Radio4 says the SUN has even more horrific POV shots inside the paper. Thumbs down
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 26 August 2015 10:45pm - 3 times in total
WO
Worzel
I'm more saddened they've chosen to ignore Adam Ward on that lead Daily Mail story, his death was just as tragic.

It's a really bad story and to be honest my thoughts are with the families of the pair. It must be awful for the families with the video(s) being playing out on the TV over and over again.

Those who report for TV and Radio (including myself) are always told to expect the unexpected - but you can never comprehend something like this happening on a run of the mill report.

Very, very tragic.

This piece of video was put online a bit earlier and shows an interview Alison conducted at Bridgwater Plaza about an hour before the attack.

She says about going outside when it gets lighter - a move which (without knowing it) cost them their lives.

Last edited by Worzel on 26 August 2015 11:17pm - 7 times in total
London Lite, Rijowhi and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
In typical fashion, the Daily Mail reduces this journalist and woman to a caricature. "newsgirl". How arrogant and sexist.

Several papers went with this nice image on their front page of the camera man and reporter smiling. Of course the tabs with the the shooter POV image. The Sun of course pauses at the millisecond the flash is coming out of the muzzle. @nicksutton from BBC Radio4 says the SUN has even more horrific POV shots inside the paper. Thumbs down

Seems only the Guardian and Express avoided images from the moment it happened. The Sun at least gets the capture before the reporter realises what is happening, but others take that picture where it's clear she realises what is happening. Totally unnecessary, especially in the context of a report printed the next day.
SomeRandomStuff and Justin gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
The Papers on the NC are blanking out some of those pictures, including the Mail.
ST
steddenm
BBC News Channel said just before 11:30 that they have chosen not to show some of the front pages in their front page preview. The Times had an image missing.
PC
p_c_u_k
Just horrific. One of those stories that really, even when you work in news, just gets you right there.

I can't imagine what their families are going through, or indeed their colleagues to have witnessed this live on air. How do you go on? I'm assuming transmission was halted for a bit while they worked out what had happened before they incredibly went back on air and so incredibly professionally carried on covering the story and paying tribute.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I'm assuming transmission was halted for a bit while they worked out what had happened before they incredibly went back on air and so incredibly professionally carried on covering the story and paying tribute.

I don't know what actually went out on television, but on the live online feed, it was business as usual for an hour or so. The professionalism was apparent, but then again, I suppose the victims' fate wasn't initially clear. Then there were some lengthy shots of what looked like the White House (although being Virginia I'm not sure why it would be). This stayed on for quite a while until they came back on air with the manager's initial announcement. They then looped the item for a few hours until they came back on air around when the identity of the suspect was confirmed.
RK
Rkolsen
I'm assuming transmission was halted for a bit while they worked out what had happened before they incredibly went back on air and so incredibly professionally carried on covering the story and paying tribute.

I don't know what actually went out on television, but on the live online feed, it was business as usual for an hour or so. The professionalism was apparent, but then again, I suppose the victims' fate wasn't initially clear. Then there were some lengthy shots of what looked like the White House (although being Virginia I'm not sure why it would be). This stayed on for quite a while until they came back on air with the manager's initial announcement. They then looped the item for a few hours until they came back on air around when the identity of the suspect was confirmed.

Some stations throw up video from wire services while they're off air if they don't take the stream down.
IN
Independent
"Kelly McBride of the Poynter Institute, which studies journalism practices and ethics, said that using the shooter's video -- or part of it -- had value.
"There is a journalistic purpose to airing the shooter's video because it speaks to his warped state of mind. But you have to find a way to convey the important elements without buying into the shooter's message and feeding the voyeuristic scariness of it," McBride said."
http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/26/media/wdbj-media-coverage-shooting-gawker/index.html?iid=Lead

It seems everyone including Al Jazeera and the BBC showed clips of the gunman's video. I just don't see the value of it and the quote above doesn't do much to convince me to change my opinion. Although I guess it could be worse, like the Daily Mail cover and what CNN/US did earlier.
scottishtv and SomeRandomStuff gave kudos
JU
Justin

Seems only the Guardian and Express avoided images from the moment it happened. The Sun at least gets the capture before the reporter realises what is happening, but others take that picture where it's clear she realises what is happening. Totally unnecessary, especially in the context of a report printed the next day.

Do they have any humanity left in them at all? They're no better than TMZ. Well, not even TMZ would exploit an image of the moment of a homicide/murder for paper sales.
Last edited by Justin on 27 August 2015 10:03am
MA
mark Founding member
The professionalism of the WDBJ team this morning is really quite remarkable. Their morning news is streaming until noon UK time here, if you have the opportunity to watch:

http://www.wdbj7.com/video/livestreaming

Some colleagues from sister station KY3 in Springfield, Missouri, are helping them out on air and (presumably) behind the scenes.
Justin and London Lite gave kudos

Newer posts