TV Home Forum

Anne Kirkbride has passed away

Coronation Street's Deidre (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RS
Rob_Schneider
Quite. They will be very hard to film, but it's as much closure for the actors as it is for the viewers. The other actors need to go through the process of having their characters say goodbye to Deirdre, it would be unnatural to do otherwise. I imagine that's why deceased actors' characters often get an on screen funeral.
DJ
DJ Dave
How will this sad news be written into the story? Precedent for this sort of thing across all soaps is to give the character an off screen death, in order to have an on screen funeral. I am sure that will be a very high rating episode.

One which sticks in my mind is the funeral of Seth in Emmerdale. Wonderful tribute to Stan Richards who played him.

They normally do it about 12 months after the real life death I think?, was such a shock when I saw it on facebook tonight. I was only thinking on Saturday what a great loss it would have been if she did leave the show and now this Sad
CH
Chewy
I still find it hard to believe she's died, Ken and Deirdre have always been this constant on television, and now it's just Ken. So sad Sad

RIP Anne
JA
JAS84
Quite. They will be very hard to film, but it's as much closure for the actors as it is for the viewers. The other actors need to go through the process of having their characters say goodbye to Deirdre, it would be unnatural to do otherwise. I imagine that's why deceased actors' characters often get an on screen funeral.

I think this post got missed when the Dierdre stuff was split.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Lots of polls and articles online about Deirdre's best moments, but this has to be my personal favourite Very Happy

She mastered the mix of drama and comedy so well.
DB
dbl
Sorry to duplicate, but VMPhil posted a special tribute programme to Anne from Granada Reports:
TV
TV Archive
William Roache's tribute to Anne Kirkbride on the National Television Awards tonight...
PATV Scunthorpe and London Lite gave kudos
MF
MatthewFirth
A standing ovation did follow, according to the Mirror, but was not shown to TV viewers in order for a commercial. A bloody joke!
BU
buster
A standing ovation did follow, according to the Mirror, but was not shown to TV viewers in order for a commercial. A bloody joke!

Are you serious? I can imagine the conversation now…

"10 seconds to the break network….oh ****, everyone's stood up. Stop everything, we'll wait until they've all sat down…what do you mean you've already gone to the break?"

And to think people wonder why things go wrong from time to time...
ETP1 Forever and bilky asko gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Exactly - they had the most appropriate segway possible out of that with a brief glimpse of the cast and then a quiet fade to the ads. Absolutely nothing wrong too with any standing ovation being just for the people in the room too.

Also interesting to read this morning that at the request of her husband no clips of her were used so that the focus was on remembering Anne rather than Deirdre.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I do recall watching and thinking, "I would've thought she'd got a standing ovation." Turns out there was one after all.
DE
declan

Also interesting to read this morning that at the request of her husband no clips of her were used so that the focus was on remembering Anne rather than Deirdre.

Ah thanks Brekkie, I had wondered why they didn't show clips. Very considerate and heartwarming of them.

Newer posts