TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain - the launch

(April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
jamesrl
I got the impression Kate will be departing once her contract ends...

She has stated in interviews that she has no intention of leaving breakfast TV anytime soon (as long as they want her).
DE
declan
I wonder if any one knows but it has been bothering me why is it stv player doesn't have GMB? UTV and obviously ITV have it but I don't know why STV don't have it? Obviously you can watch it on either of the other two but why doesn't STV provide?
BR
Brekkie
It's quite obvious Ranvir is preferred but this news will mean Kate hangs on yet again as even if they were considering dropping her at the end of her contract they will now need another relief host should Ranvir replace Charlotte for her maternity leave.

Why would they want to drop her - she has survived three re-launches so they must like her. The viewer feedback is also good when Kate is on.

Because all three relaunches have been deemed failures.
JO
Jon
I wonder if any one knows but it has been bothering me why is it stv player doesn't have GMB? UTV and obviously ITV have it but I don't know why STV don't have it? Obviously you can watch it on either of the other two but why doesn't STV provide?

It's not a show STV or UTV broadcast. There must be an agreement with the latter.
HB
HarryB
Jon posted:

It's not a show STV or UTV broadcast.

GMB is broadcast on STV & UTV!?
:-(
A former member
Jon posted:

NO its not, its broadcast on the ITV Franchise, between 6am - 09.25. STV and UTV only broadcast between 09.25 - 05.59. nothing else. STV/UTV don't get any money from the show.

It just so happens, ITV plc owns 100% of Breakfast franchise
JO
Jon
Jon posted:

In a sense maybe but technically no. ITV breakfast which is owned by ITV own the Channel 3 slot at that time.
DE
declan
Like Jon said I imagine ITV made a deal with UTV because they have it on their player and it even features a UTV DOG but no such "deal" has been made with STV. Again like said, STV and UTV do only broadcast between 9:25am and 5:59am actually for STV it probably varies because ITV Nightscreen is shown sometimes at 5 other times at 5:45am and such. In terms of EPG it shows as STV/UTV but it's ITV you're watching between 6 - 0925.
A former member
When STV owned GMTV, did there broadcast Scottish promo during GMTV time or was it all ITV branded stuff?
SW
Steve Williams
When STV owned GMTV, did there broadcast Scottish promo during GMTV time or was it all ITV branded stuff?

No, because STV didn't wholly own GMTV. I don't think they showed any programme promotions for ITV, actually, in the early days they didn't show trailers in ad breaks within programmes.

The discussion here does illustrate that there are situations where STV and UTV do have to co-operate with ITV for the good of the viewer. It just confuses viewers to have situations like this and STV are certainly happy to play the ITV card when it suits them (ie, showing all their big programmes). It's like the argument as to why Weekend can't go past 9.25 because it's offically an ITV Breakfast programme. But if this awkward compromise means STV gets virtually no viewers at 9.25, what's the point?

As far as viewers are concerned, Good Morning Britain and Weekend are programmes on ITV and STV.
A former member
Its not unheard of programme crossing the 09.25 point. It was mainly for the World Cup in 1998 or the F1, where Diggit extra appeared. extra 2 hours of power rangers.

Mind you Disney Club used to start at 08.50 and finished at 10.30? There NOTHING to stop programming crossing said point. So weekend could actually start at 08.30 and finish at 10am.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There is plenty stopping a programme crossing said point outside of England and Wales. That it has happened on occasion has been through agreement with all parties.

Newer posts