Tv coverage (December 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Anyone record BBC's Newsflash? i was watching good old Z Listers

BBC iPlayer Live Restart.
LJ
Live at five with Jeremy
Alex Crawford of Sky now at the scene in shot on BBC News at 10!
TW
tweedledum
ITV News extended till 10 past 11
BR
Brekkie
Yes, bad form from ITV not just from a repuation point of view but also purely from ratings - they've 9m watching I'm a Celeb and they've sent them over to BBC1. They really should have wrapped up I'm a Celeb a little bit early - just cutting the exit walkways and voting info and ending on a more sombre note would have been the right thing to do.

Seeing the news was announced after 21:45, I think it would be difficult for the news team to organise & get permission from ITV to go on air and then tell the guys in Aus. The implications of not letting the viewers know the phone numbers as well could be against them. its Live programme not expecting breaking news.

I think the death of a prominent figure should take priority over a reality TV phone vote, one that doesn't need to open until tomorrow night.

And as a live show it should be equipped to handle such situations - I'm not suggesting ITV should have just crashed out of it (although that might have been easier from a technical point of view), but that the message should have got to them that they were to wrap up early and forego the usual ending to the show as it did jar somewhat, especially in these days when TV encourages second screen use so many viewers would have got the news that way as a result.

Back to BBC1 and right to crash out of Mrs Browns Boys, though better to say they were joining BBC News, and ideally they wouldn't have joined the President mid-sentence. Surely they could have gone to Huw Edwards in the studio and then had a brief statement before joining the press conference moments later.
AS
Asa Admin
That's presuming the newsflash was only scheduled after the news came in.

Wasn't just the coming up bit though, it was used twice during the programme's introduction into the first report. Totally unnecessary and done just for shock value.
IS
Inspector Sands

I wonder if they had much knowledge this announcement was going to be made.

Oddly enough there was an article on the BBC news website this morning that mentioned his deathbed. It did occur to me that this could be the day.

It's the most prepared for death, news organisations had lots of resources and people in South Africa waiting for this moment.

Quote:
I imagine the news will be dominated by this for some time.

Probably not, tonight and tomorrow yes but after that what's to say or show until the funeral?
ST
Standby
ITV should have dropped that ad break. Very poor taste from them.
DV
DVB Cornwall
BT Sport 1 Des Kelly reporting the News during 'Life's a Pitch'
BR
Brekkie
Tough decision re: Question Time tonight. Proceed and look horribly out of date and possibly awkwardly off-tone because of the delay, or scrap it on one of the more important political days of the year?

I'd imagine they'll air it at the end of rolling coverage, even if it's after midnight. A brief statement indicating it was filmed prior to the news would cover themselves, though knowing the BBC they'll go overboard and stick a big strap on screen and interrupt the show every couple of minutes to point that out.
FL
flaziola
BBC World accidentally cut away from the 10 in picture only, Jon Sopel and Kasia Maderia standing by. I wonder what was the last piece of breaking news that BBC World broke to BBC one viewers? Diana's death?
DA
David
Those watching I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here... with subtitles on would have seen the words "Nelson Mandela" appear over the end credits of said programme and staying there throughout the 'Coming up' from ITN despite no one actually saying "Nelson Mandela" on the programme.
RD
RDJ
Sky EPG now saying ITV News extended to 11.10pm. No change to BBC1 EPG at the moment.

Newer posts