The Newsroom

The New ITV & BBC Weather Thread

BBC Thunderbolts - Are they Red, White or Blue... or yellow? (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
The BBC Weather website seems to have changed the colours for the weather on Wednesday and Thursday here. It's forecast to be 21 & 22, and they did have an orange bar underneath yesterday, but now it seems to have changed to the sort of yellow-ish green you'd expect for temperatures about 10 degrees lower. It's got a yellow bar for 16 degrees tomorrow, but for 19 & 18 degrees on Friday-Sunday it's using an darker green, and the shame shade for 15 on Monday & Tuesday. Not sure what's going on here, are they using the minimum nighttime temperature to choose the colour or something?

Last edited by james-2001 on 16 April 2018 9:23pm
DA
DAN09690
The BBC Weather website seems to have changed the colours for the weather on Wednesday and Thursday here. It's forecast to be 21 & 22, and they did have an orange bar underneath yesterday, but now it seems to have changed to the sort of yellow-ish green you'd expect for temperatures about 10 degrees lower. It's got a yellow bar for 16 degrees tomorrow, but for 19 & 18 degrees on Friday-Sunday it's using an darker green, and the shame shade for 15 on Monday & Tuesday. Not sure what's going on here, are they using the minimum nighttime temperature to choose the colour or something?

Yes, depending on what time of day you look at the website the colours change from Min Night temperatures or Max day temps
LS
Lou Scannon
(Also posted in the South West England & CI Thread)

Alex Beresford was back on the ITV West Country weather for the first time in months this evening (following the recent conclusion of the Dancing On Ice live tour, apparently), to much fanfare from Kylie & Jonty.

So much for those who were so certain that he'd left West Country for good. He was juggling West Country and national/GMB duties for a long time pre-DOI, and it would now appear that he's returning to doing exactly the same?

Given the recent talk of West Country advertising for a new weather presenter, might it be that dear old Bob Crampton is retiring?

Either that or Alex's return is an interim thing (perhaps to see out a contract?) before he goes 100% national/GMB only?
WE
wellandtruly25
Laura Tobinis initially part time on GMB, with Alex doing two days. He’ll also do a bit of national weather and also West Country. As before.
SS
SuperSajuuk
For some reason, the BBC graphics are entirely incapable of showing lightning on any part of the map, only possible to know if there’s going to be any lightning in an area is if the presenter tells you beforehand!

Previous graphics showed a clear lightning animation whenever an area was susceptible to lightning when the rain moved in. New graphics just show rain, no animation for lightning!
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 27 March 2021 4:35pm - 4 times in total

31 days later

RD
RDJ
At the BBC, it seems as if they have developed a 'lightning map' to denote where lightning strikes were last recorded. Not sure whether this is a new thing or whether it hasn't been needed to have been used before.

A video of this has been posted in the BBC New Channel thread today, along with causing confusion to Simon McCoy as to the difference between a yellow bolt and a red bolt which is how long ago the strike happened.

More interestingly, I posted early on in the Meteogroup changeover, that the weather symbol for thunder and lightning had been recoloured a 'whiteish-blue'. Therefore have the BBC changed the official colour of thunderbolt back to the yellowy-red colour or do we have three different colours now for essentially the same thing?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Showing recent lightning strikes was certainly possible on the Met Office system
JT
jolly turnip
Not quite TV weather but take a look at the main national forecast on the BBC weather home page. Matt Taylor. Stick with it, it continues for ten seconds or so after the closing slide. Then hear Matt avoiding a profanity, but still made it online .. Bogroll
AD
addlestones

It's a Bank Holiday and for many people they have witnessed the Mother Of All Thunderstorns or as the wonderful Tomasz says the MOAT. I thought I'd post this great vid of the thundering hot Tomasz
MA
Markymark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9VJ2ubGhFg

It's a Bank Holiday and for many people they have witnessed the Mother Of All Thunderstorns or as the wonderful Tomasz says the MOAT. I thought I'd post this great vid of the thundering hot Tomasz

In the pursuit of gender equality, where's the equivalent video for Laura Tobin ?
AD
addlestones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9VJ2ubGhFg

In the pursuit of gender equality, where's the equivalent video for Laura Tobin ?

When you have Tomasz why do you need anyone else??

Newer posts