The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
TURNER is dumping the OMNI HOTEL portion of CNN Center in Atlanta.
Dont be shocked to hear that TimeWarner has shut down CNN Center in Atlanta in a few years. Ive been feeling they were going to start this. And even thought they are divesting themselves of the hotel portion of CNN Center i wouldnt be surprised that on the drawing board or in a file folder somewhere in TimeWarner Center NYC there are plans to completely close the building and sell it. Especially with the project called Reimagine Techwood being launched. We might see CNN move outta CNN Center back to the TechWood Campus where CNN was orignally housed and created. They probably will put up a office block for the newsroom and simple studios for CNNi and HLN CNNe and call time on CNN Center.
http://brookwoodgroup.com/graphics/bioprojects/gheery/turner_techwood_001.jpg
Here is the old Country Club building in the middle of TechWood. Where CNN was housed in before the move to CNN Center.
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/15746316.jpg

TechWood Campus has grown and expanded and I just have a feeling TImeWatner wants to consolidate their property holdings in Atlanta to TechWood and get rid of CNN Center. Looks like things are moving that way and CNN from the CNN Center win Atlanta will cease to exist as we know it. They rarely utter the name "CNN Center" or "Atlanta" on air anymore, certainly not on CNN Domestic.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/turner-to-sell-stake-in-part-of-atlantas-cnn-center/293494
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Unusually, coverage of tonight's Kentucky and Oregon Primaries is coming from New York (and the New Day studio) instead of the Election Center in Washington.

Doesn't really look like a 'Situation Room', does it? Wink
FL
flaziola
More like an underground bunker.
SL
Shaun Linden
They really do go over the top in America don't they. Their ability to talk politics non-stop is quite something. Same with Fox News and MSNBC.
JD
JDN
Yet CNN wasn't in NYC for the NY Primary.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
They really do go over the top in America don't they. Their ability to talk politics non-stop is quite something. Same with Fox News and MSNBC.

I've been watching CNN quite regularly for a few months now given my slightly obsessive interest in these elections, but I still can't get used to so many ad breaks.

I think CNNI actually makes it worse by repeating the same half dozen promos and trailers. I can almost recite word for word Becky Anderson's self-important 'Connect the World' promo: "Let me push you once more on this, because this. is. important." Arrrrrgh!

As for talking politics, I've noticed that the hour-long show "Wolf" at 1pm ET consists daily of 45mins on Trump and 15 mins on "War Against ISIS". Every single day, no matter what else might actually be happening in the world.
EX
excel99
JDN posted:
Yet CNN wasn't in NYC for the NY Primary.

I think the reason for the coverage last night being in New York was today's Turner Upfront presentation, requiring certain talent to be in New York Wednesday morning
SL
Shaun Linden

I've been watching CNN quite regularly for a few months now given my slightly obsessive interest in these elections, but I still can't get used to so many ad breaks.

I think CNNI actually makes it worse by repeating the same half dozen promos and trailers. I can almost recite word for word Becky Anderson's self-important 'Connect the World' promo: "Let me push you once more on this, because this. is. important." Arrrrrgh!

As for talking politics, I've noticed that the hour-long show "Wolf" at 1pm ET consists daily of 45mins on Trump and 15 mins on "War Against ISIS". Every single day, no matter what else might actually be happening in the world.

Very Happy OK stand by for some important details. He makes Kay Burley seem normal

They could do with making some special breakfillers similar to what Fox News do to shake it up a bit.
CH
Charles

Aren't there Ofcom/European regulations that news programs can't have more than two commercial breaks in a 30 minute program? The US standard is to have three or four ad breaks per half hour (regardless of news or other programming), and from what I know, CNNI sells advertising in all three/four ad breaks on the other regional feeds across the world, whereas in on the EMEA feed, one ad break will usually be filled with nothing but CNN promos, since that doesn't technically count as an ad break.

CNNI has become quite good again, and I really like watching it on my AppleTV here in the US now. (Which also means I pretty much don't see any ads or promos at all!) But yes, I avoid CNN Domestic programming at all costs. Wolf used to be great, but he's really lost his way. CNN Domestic was always tolerable whenever I didn't have any access to CNNI, the BBC, or AJE, but it's just impossible to watch these days.
DV
dvboy
Aren't there Ofcom/European regulations that news programs can't have more than two commercial breaks in a 30 minute program? The US standard is to have three or four ad breaks per half hour (regardless of news or other programming), and from what I know, CNNI sells advertising in all three/four ad breaks on the other regional feeds across the world, whereas in on the EMEA feed, one ad break will usually be filled with nothing but CNN promos, since that doesn't technically count as an ad break.

Rules for the UK are complicated and can be found here: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/other-codes/COSTA_April_2016.pdf

News programming can only have a break once every 30 minutes. However, there is an exemption that allows a broadcaster taking a live broadcast from overseas to follow the same pattern of ad breaks, but they still have to ensure they don't show show more than 12 minutes of adverts in an hour.
SL
Shaun Linden
dvboy posted:

Rules for the UK are complicated and can be found here: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/other-codes/COSTA_April_2016.pdf

News programming can only have a break once every 30 minutes. However, there is an exemption that allows a broadcaster taking a live broadcast from overseas to follow the same pattern of ad breaks, but they still have to ensure they don't show show more than 12 minutes of adverts in an hour.

Sky News has the usual 3 breaks an hour usually though, unless you mean something different?
HB
HarryB
dvboy posted:

Sky News has the usual 3 breaks an hour usually though, unless you mean something different?

4 ad breaks... 15, 30, 45 and just before the 60th minute

Newer posts