The Newsroom

Egyptian Blasts

News Coverage (October 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Johnnie
Breaking news tonight: At least 100 casualties in Taba Hilton hotel blast on the Egypt/Israel border. There were also another 2 explosions in the surrounding area.

Sheila Jansen and Chris Roberts broke the news on Sky.
ITV's Julian Manyon is in Israel.

edit: At least 30 killed in hotel blast
NR
News room
johnnielarkin posted:
Breaking news tonight: At least 100 casualties in Taba Hilton hotel blast on the Egypt/Israel border. There were also another 2 explosions in the surrounding area.

Sheila Jansen and Chris Roberts broke the news on Sky.
ITV's Julian Manyon is in Israel.

edit: At least 30 killed in hotel blast

Yeah been watching it here in Paris where I have Sky INternational, BBC World and CNN. Can I just sy how awful the BBC's coverage has been so far. Sky were superb, not leaving the story until I left it at 23.00 BST. The BBC bulletin at 2300 BST from Washington and London was dreadful. Ian Pannel began with just 4 mins of coverage before moving on. CNN with F. Sweeney ran with it, and the Breaking News aston remained. How is News 24 coverign ????
GB
GavBelfast
I'm a firm supporter of the BBC and BBC News, but have to say their reaction to and coverage of this event has been woeful.

They really must do better - what's the point of a reputation if it's not being lived upto?
KA
Katherine Founding member
What's the latest? Anyone claimed responsibility?
MO
Moz
I was watching News 24 and I thought their coverage was OK.

Jon & Kate broke it before 10:30 and put a ticker up during Business Today. Then the Dobster had good coverage at 11 with interviews with Orla & the ex-Mayor of Eilat (or whatever it's called).

What I thought would have been cool - and effective - would have been if Manisha had said at 10:45, "Coming up on Business Today...<what's coming up>...but first an update on the breaking news from Egypt with Peter Dobbie" and hand over to Peter in the summary pod. Of course he'd say that he'd have full coverage at the TOTH.
LO
Londoner
Gripping stuff on ITV News with Julian Manyon demanding to know live on air from the Egyptian tourism minister why journalists are not being allowed to cross the border from Israel into Egypt to get to the scene of the blasts.
OH
ohwhatanight Founding member
James Hatts posted:
Gripping stuff on ITV News with Julian Manyon demanding to know live on air from the Egyptian tourism minister why journalists are not being allowed to cross the border from Israel into Egypt to get to the scene of the blasts.

You beat me to it James! I was loving the way that Julian nearly 'had a strop' at the Egyptian Minister whom was trying to ignore his questions and not answer anything at all.

Julian was in full Manyon-mode and really felt agrieved that no reporters were allowed in and claimed that it was a cover-up!

Great telly!
PS Are ALL news reporters outside on the border or have Sky managed to smuggle anyone in yet? Julian did mention that only journalist has got in as he pretended to be a relief worker - all the pictures we are seeing are from a PA reporter!
PPS Trevor Mcdonald broke the news on ITV1 News at 10:30 last night!

Newer posts