TV Home Forum

BBC Three - Trust's final decision published

Split from BBC Three (November 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DJ
DJGM

I'm sure that this decision was made with a heavy heart and that it would have been a very difficult decision to make.

Bullcrap. TPTB at the BBC had obviously already made their decision to get rid of BBC Three before they'd even launched the public consultation,
which was just a p!ss-poor excuse to make it look as though they're actually listening to their viewers. They'd have only agreed with the consultation if most participants had actually agreed that BBC Three should go.

I am sure that the people in charge have made the right choice based upon the circumstances and weighing in all of the factors at the time.

I am sure, along with many others, that the people in charge have made the absolute wrong choice, and haven't weighed in any of the factors at the time. The people in charge really didn't give a s**t about what viewers actually wanted, and had long since already decided to get rid of BBC Three, regardless of the results of any public consultations.
MA
Maaixuew
:-(
A former member
Christ the original BBC Choice idents were awful.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Spotted on YouTube, originally designed for the demise of the blob idents but may be apt when BBC Three linear closes Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvg6QFoz894

There are about three or four other examples of these on YouTube as this presentation package was replaced in 2008.

Ah, I miss it when it had that Play UK/late 90s-early 00s BBC Two feel to it rather than the desperate "we're for da kidz" impression. E4 seem to be the only one who hit the nail on the head with clever, trendy presentation without being downright patronising to a younger audience.
ED
ExDSStar
Spotted on YouTube, originally designed for the demise of the blob idents but may be apt when BBC Three linear closes Smile

There are about three or four other examples of these on YouTube as this presentation package was replaced in 2008.

Ah, I miss it when it had that Play UK/late 90s-early 00s BBC Two feel to it rather than the desperate "we're for da kidz" impression. E4 seem to be the only one who hit the nail on the head with clever, trendy presentation without being downright patronising to a younger audience.

Doesn't really matter as it will become online only, Interesting through that BBC Knowledge was actually launched before BBC Choice Very Happy
JA
james-2001
Umm... no it wasn't. BBC Choice launched in September 1998, Knowledge in June 1999. However Knowledge did become BBC Four nearly a year before Choice became BBC Three.
NG
noggin Founding member

Doesn't really matter as it will become online only, Interesting through that BBC Knowledge was actually launched before BBC Choice Very Happy

Err. No.

Timetable for the BBC digital service launches was something like this:

BBC News 24 launched in Nov 1997 on analogue cable (and BBC One overnights) and was present on various BBC DVB-T and other test platforms.
BBC Choice soft-launched in Summer 1998 on various test platforms but the formal launch of BBC Digital services to the public was in Nov 1998 - when BBC News 24, BBC Choice and BBC One and Two Digital launched (including BBC Choice Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland...) FTV on Sky Digital, as a FTA service on On Digital and possibly digital cable(?)
BBC Knowledge launched quite a while later - sometimes in 1999.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Interesting through that BBC Knowledge was actually launched before BBC Choice Very Happy

Who told you that and where does it say that in this thread?

BBC Knowledge launched June 1st, 1999, replaced by BBC Four in March 2002.
BBC Choice launched 23rd September 1998, replaced by BBC Three in March 2003.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
I wonder whether some or all of the existing 'BBC iPlayer Exclusives' collection will be re-branded BBC Three. I spotted there's already an existing 'Match of the Day 3' iPlayer exclusive, which I suspect could easily become a BBC Three online programme due to the name.
MA
madmusician
I wonder whether some or all of the existing 'BBC iPlayer Exclusives' collection will be re-branded BBC Three. I spotted there's already an existing 'Match of the Day 3' iPlayer exclusive, which I suspect could easily become a BBC Three online programme due to the name.

Match of the Day 3 has been going for a while on the BBC Sport website, and they just moved it over to iPlayer this season (along with messing about with the format, previously it was a 10-minute relaxed discussion pre-recorded after MOTD2 on a Sunday night).

I'd be surprised if they tried to make that a BBC Three programme as it's so out of remit, it would be a joke. It's a BBC Sport show, no more, no less.
IN
Interceptor
DJGM posted:

I'm sure that this decision was made with a heavy heart and that it would have been a very difficult decision to make.

Bullcrap. TPTB at the BBC had obviously already made their decision to get rid of BBC Three before they'd even launched the public consultation,
which was just a p!ss-poor excuse to make it look as though they're actually listening to their viewers. They'd have only agreed with the consultation if most participants had actually agreed that BBC Three should go.

I am sure that the people in charge have made the right choice based upon the circumstances and weighing in all of the factors at the time.

I am sure, along with many others, that the people in charge have made the absolute wrong choice, and haven't weighed in any of the factors at the time. The people in charge really didn't give a s**t about what viewers actually wanted, and had long since already decided to get rid of BBC Three, regardless of the results of any public consultations.

The ratings speak for themselves, though, don't they?

Away from Family Guy/American Dad repeats, which can (and will) be done by any other broadcaster, there is very little evidence of any demand for the kind of stuff BBC Three has churned out for years - and plenty of evidence that a lot of it has been seen as patronising.
:-(
A former member
You mean the lets take some teenagers on a holiday and let them parents watch them?

Newer posts