TV Home Forum

UTV sell TV business to ITV

Rebrand from Oct 17th - please use new thread. (August 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
So despite nothing happening for months the subheading is still relevent.
RS
Rob_Schneider
Slightly old news, but over at radio the green light has been given for Global to acquire Juice Liverpool. (Global have incidentally confirmed the second worst-kept secret this year in Leicester Square that it will convert to Capital FM next year.) They've also started a recruitment drive for their new stations on D2.

I'll be interested in how much ITV Plc would pay for the franchise. UTV were very shrewd to get £10m out of Juice 107.6 - although it was in Global's best interests to have Capital on there rather than, say, Bauer come in and slap Kiss on it. Here, there's only one real buyer.
WH
Whataday Founding member
£100 million seems a bit over ambitious to me. Based on its performance in recent years, I'd value the UTV franchise at around £60 million.

I wonder what UTV Media will change its name to. I always liked The Wireless Group.
BA
bilky asko
£100 million seems a bit over ambitious to me. Based on its performance in recent years, I'd value the UTV franchise at around £60 million.

You're in a better position than ITV to value UTV as a business than they are?
ME
mediaman2007

Everyone's an expert on TVF, it's tradition. Makes Digital Spy look like a bunch of humble shy retiring types.
RS
Rob_Schneider
Everything has its price and some people have the money. The NI franchise is very valuable to ITV but not at any cost, because realistically there's going to be nobody else, apart from STV at a real push, willing to buy it!

With the radio division there's loads of potential buyers - UKRD or Celador would be ideal for the smaller stations, other groups in that sector like Quidem and Lincs are downsizing if anything. With Signal, Pulse etc. Global or Communicorp, Bauer, or even Orion, could have a serious bidding war going on there.
MK
Mr Kite
If Northern Ireland keeps it's Continuity Announcers, then is there a case for Wales to have it's own Contiunity presentation return? (always thought that went too far, Wales is NOT England. If ITV bought STV I wouldn't expect ITV to have Scottish announcements from London...).

And the rest of England isn't London. What's good for the goose...
RI
Rijowhi
If Northern Ireland keeps it's Continuity Announcers, then is there a case for Wales to have it's own Contiunity presentation return? (always thought that went too far, Wales is NOT England. If ITV bought STV I wouldn't expect ITV to have Scottish announcements from London...).

And the rest of England isn't London. What's good for the goose...

I agree, it's just (very slightly) more likely than the Welsh could get their Announcers back than the English regions. IF ITV bought STV and merged Border into their so called sub-Regions, you could at least have each Home Nation having it's own announcing team. A little bit of a USP I'd argue against the likes of C4, C5 and Sky (even if just for localised programming).
DV
DVB Cornwall
Deal done

ITV TO ACQUIRE UTV'S TELEVISION BUSINESS

ITV plc today announced that it has agreed to acquire 100% of UTV Ltd, which owns the television assets of UTV Media plc, for a total cash consideration of £100 million. This is subject to regulatory and UTV Media plc shareholder approval. The transaction will be financed through existing cash and debt facilities.

The deal further strengthens ITV's free to air business and enables it to run a more efficient network. On completion of the acquisition ITV will own 13 of the 15 regional licences for the Channel 3 network and the combined business will benefit from ITV's continued investment in content, its advertising sales team and broadcast infrastructure.

UTV is the market leading commercial broadcaster and the most watched channel in Northern Ireland, broadcasting ITV content alongside high quality local programming. UTV Ltd also owns 100% of UTV Ireland, which launched a new dedicated channel for the Republic of Ireland on 1 January 2015. UTV Ireland is already the second most watched channel in peak in Ireland and ITV intends to strengthen the channel further with high-quality ITV programming at its core.

see here ……..

LONDONSTOCKEXCHANGE.COM/EXCHANGE
19-Oct-2015 @ 07:03
RD
rdd Founding member
And here's UTV's announcement. Will require shareholder approval and UTV Media will have to change its name as ownership of the UTV brand moves to ITV.

http://www.utvmedia.com/resources/documents/U/T/V/UTVAnnouncement.pdf
WH
Whataday Founding member

Everyone's an expert on TVF, it's tradition. Makes Digital Spy look like a bunch of humble shy retiring types.

Unfortunately these days people seem to be just as RUDE on TVF as they are on Digital Spy.

Did I claim to be an expert or to know better than ITV? I clarified that my estimate was based on its performance (ie figures which are in the public domain).
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Worth noting from the BBC News article...
"ITV said it has no plan to change the on-air branding, meaning the UTV name will remain rather than becoming ITV Northern Ireland."
...also...
"The deal will need approval from the UK and Irish broadcasting regulators and Ireland's competition watchdog."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34508529

Realistically UTV Ireland will remain a separate company, as it's operating in a different country to ITV Plc. As for UTV in Northern Ireland I suspect whilst they've no plans to change it's name (for now) in the long term it may well evolve to take the ITV branding.

Newer posts