The Gallery

The Big Breakfast - MTV for Channel 5

(February 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Channel 5 are looking to gain further market share. They look at the early morning schedule. Cartoons aren't cutting the mustard anymore as kids turn to their own channels. They want a vehicle that can promote the rest of their schedule along with their new found sister channels such as MTV.

They commission MTV to produce a rejuvenated Big Breakfast, and recruit hosts Caroline Flack and Matt Edmondson, to much hype in the press.

Rather than purchase and remodel the original house, MTV reuse their 1 Leicester Square Studio (I know this is now some sort of Nickelodeon emporium but ignore that for the sake of the mock!)

The studio 'Breakfastified'

A very simple clock, a sort of cross between the first ever clock and the one introduced in 2000.

Similarly, the aston:

As the programme is sponsored by Weetabix, news cannot be fully integrated into it, so it is provided by ITN under the 5 News banner (albeit with BB colours)

That's as far as I've got, I will pursue it further as I have some more ideas of different sections such as On The Bed and a Big Brother/Reality TV area.
PF
PFML84
Well, if Caroline Flack and Matt Edmondson host it, I certainly won't be tuning in!
FA
fanoftv
I like that you've tried something different.

The logo does not work; the letters don't align, the directions are all off and it seems very clunky - try something from scratch. Changing the font will not make it work in 2015.

As for the studio idea - I like the fact that you're thinking away from the house, however you need to embrace the change. Why would you have patio doors on a first floor that has no balcony? Surround it by brick work/paneling, add curtains fitting to the current age, maybe a sideboard under the window to have pictures on.

You can be 'breakfasty' as well as being up to date. Look at the current 'Mel & Sue' set, look at the yellow spinney chairs on Lorraine, look at the bold colour palette of GMB.
BR
Brekkie
Let's see where this goes. Wouldn't trust C5 at all with the show though - they've ruined one BB already.
Last edited by Brekkie on 28 July 2015 9:51pm - 2 times in total
DE
declan
I'm so confused by the scenario such as creating problems for yourself through the Weetabix news thing.

I don't think it should be Channel 4s Breakfast show instead a brand new one for five - five live?

Not really a fan of the set. The view isn't bad and could be integrated nicely, plus why is there patio doors and no balcony - is there not some health and safety issue there. Although I'm not big breakfast lover I think what made it different was the house and it lacks that here. Probably why I suggest creating something new.

Also not really a fan of the colours, not sure I agree purple is such a morning colour maybe try a blue?
AS
ASO
Declan...
- News cannot be sponsored so Whataday is not creating problems - he's addressing some quite significant potential ones
- Again, Five Live is already a thing - it's BBC Radio 5 Live
- Regarding the patio doors H&S issue, (I think they're pointless, Whataday) they wouldn't put real patio doors there on a first floor with a drop

Back to Whataday's mock
An interesting one... I think it could do with a bit of modernising to look like something you'd see on the TV now. So, I think a different approach to the logo, titles, graphics, fonts and set features is needed.

I don't like the fonts you have chosen, not do I like the colour scheme. The ideas are there, but I think you're capable of better execution.

I love the use of the Leicester Square studio. I would actually (don't shoot me) be going for a SLIGHTLY similar feel to the London Live set because this, I'm afraid, just looks very outdated and something that belongs years ago.

At the moment, I'm giving this 3/5. I would love it to be better and I hope you have the time to improve it.

It is really good so far so with a bit of modernisation, I think I might be able to give it 5.
BR
Brekkie
Re: news - isn't the news in This Morning now thrown to by the presenters (or was for a time at least), or have they returned to it being separate. Although news bulletins themselves can't be sponsored I'd imagine they could get away with news updates within an sponsored entertainment programme as long as one doesn't lead into the other. Might just need a brief bumper like the weather / sport during the regional news.

Anyhow, that's only a minor hypothetical - I do suspect on Channel 5 at least it would make more sense for the news to be under the 5 News brand, and just tweaking the look of 5 News to fit in with The Big Breakfast is a sensible way to do it.

10 days later

WH
Whataday Founding member
Some developed ideas...

Logo

Set
JB
JasonB
The logo's good but something's missing from it.
FA
fanoftv
An improvement. Would they not have a monitor next to the chairs?
BR
Brekkie
The logo is passable but trying to cram the house into a small set isn't working. The house gave them freedom - this set feels very restrictive. And as much as the show couldn't go without them for more than a few months I think the french window chairs would have to go.

Newer posts