TV Home Forum

Broadcasting House, Salford Quays & TVC

(September 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
I think Harshy is confusing Eurovision - the EBU system for linking together European broadcasters and distributing content to them - with the Eurovision Song Contest which is just a small part of what it does.

Yeah I got confused, the conversation is about whether the Beeb provide backup to ebuer feeds.
BA
Bail Moderator
chris posted:
Apparently the letters on the TV Centre sign are going to be auctioned.

Is it only the TC1 roundels that are listed? I thought the signage on the side of TC1 was as well - or are you talking about the sign above Stage VI reception?

Surely the letters can't be listed? They only went up in 1997.

The building itself is/was only listed recently.
HO
House
Bail posted:
chris posted:

Is it only the TC1 roundels that are listed? I thought the signage on the side of TC1 was as well - or are you talking about the sign above Stage VI reception?

I thought his point was surely something added so recently couldn't be regarded as 'heritage' under the 'listing' criteria?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Looks like the signage is listed

http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1393371
CH
chris
House posted:
Bail posted:
chris posted:

I thought his point was surely something added so recently couldn't be regarded as 'heritage' under the 'listing' criteria?

Exactly. Seems really odd. Imagine if the BBC had kept hold of the site and decided to change its logo.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I remember reading on here in previous years that TVC plays an important part in Eurovision having many of the feeds going through the building. Is that the case this year too? Where will all that move to?
All of the BBC's direct-to-home satellite services are uplinked from TVC; news's satellite trucks are downlinked there, as are many OBs live on network, as well as there being fibre connections to BT Tower and other broadcasters around London. And it's a key point in the EBU's network - it's connected to their fibre network, and does uplinks and downlinks on their behalf. (For example, a Champions League match in Germany will be uplinked from an SNG on site, but will often go over an EBU fibre to London to be available as a reserve uplink.)

Some of it's moving to BH, some to the Broadcast Centre, and some (like the satellite dishes) are being spread out around the country.
HA
harshy Founding member
Hello thegeek thanks for your answer just bit confused when you say TVC handles it do you mean RedBee and isn't that on another site away from TVC?
GE
thegeek Founding member
Hello thegeek thanks for your answer just bit confused when you say TVC handles it do you mean RedBee and isn't that on another site away from TVC?

Red Bee have the contract for playing out the channels; but the delivery point for live programmes is still CCA, which is run by Atos (previously Siemens). CCA perform a line-up with the OB, then pass the signals on to the Broadcast Centre.

Quote:
The BBC point of delivery is currently CCA in Television Centre. However as new buildings come on-line programmes may be required to deliver to other locations. Unless otherwise agreed, it should be assumed CCA is the required point of delivery.
The production company is responsible for the costs of all communications and for ensuring all circuits are booked from the source to the point of delivery.
[...]
Facilities for down linking satellite circuits to Television Centre in London are available at commercial rates. The BBC also has permanent circuits to the BT tower and all other major broadcasters.
HA
harshy Founding member
Aah I see didn't realise TVC are still involved but its closing down next week so who does the Atos bit?
NG
noggin Founding member
All of the BBC's direct-to-home satellite services are uplinked from TVC

Oh - when did they stop using a secondary site for some of the d-t-h uplinks? I was under the impression that some transponders were uplinked off-site these days.
NG
noggin Founding member

Red Bee only handle channel playout (and creative) services for the BBC, ATOS (formerly Siemens) handle downlink and uplink services, and internal distribution/contribution circuits.
NG
noggin Founding member
Aah I see didn't realise TVC are still involved but its closing down next week so who does the Atos bit?

TVC isn't fully closing down next week - sections of it will continue to be staffed for a while yet to handle downlink/uplink/switching etc.

Newer posts