TV Home Forum

Best ECP designs

Or should that be, 'Least Irritating ECP designs'? (July 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
David posted:
On that subject, I notice that Sky blur out the itv.com URL during the credits on Club Reps when it is shown on Pick TV but leave it unblurred when they show Lilly Savage's Blankety Blank on Challenge. I hope someone finds this observation of interest.

It's the same with Golden Balls. The occasional episode of The People Versus (if they ever show it again) still have the 'information on itv.com/peopleversus and teletext page...' slide intact.

I suspect they were blurred since they didn't want the itv.com URL showing on a Sky branded channel (assuming they showed it before they rebranded this year)?

Actually the itv.com address on Challenge re-runs probably wouldn't be that difficult to remove, because I presume it would a case of finding the right shade of blue (depending on the era, if from the mid 2000's) and painting it out? Or is that too simplistic an idea? It's only programmes after the October 2002 relaunch that are mainly affected, because the ECPs from 2001 (the curvy line one) don't have a web address on them.

But yes it was a strange decision to see that ECP on the end of everything, even the news which didn't have any credits in the first place!

The thing with ITV2 "normal" credits was because there was no actual credit rules in place for it, possibly in lieu of the fact it didn't have the same viewership back then that it does now so there was no need to behave like the main channel with regards to its credits.

I'd have assumed "normal" credits, particularly for 2001/2 ITV1 programming, appear when the programme is sold, but this doesn't appear to be the case. Does that curvy design really appear on foreign broadcasts?
DV
dvboy
I'd have assumed "normal" credits, particularly for 2001/2 ITV1 programming, appear when the programme is sold, but this doesn't appear to be the case. Does that curvy design really appear on foreign broadcasts?

The curvy design appears on a Footballers' Wives DVD, I'm pretty sure of that.
VM
VMPhil
I think I've found an example of an ECP that looks bad on other channels without the same ECP. Remember the BBC's old credits style that only applied to a few major programmes?

CH
chris
I think I've found an example of an ECP that looks bad on other channels without the same ECP. Remember the BBC's old credits style that only applied to a few major programmes?

I think it applied to the majority of programmes and it did look better than what they have now. It just meant the credits had to be on the right hand side of the screen so the ECP could be over-layed without interrupting the credits.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
chris posted:

I think it applied to the majority of programmes and it did look better than what they have now. It just meant the credits had to be on the right hand side of the screen so the ECP could be over-layed without interrupting the credits.

I'm sure it only ever applied to EastEnders and even then only the weekday episodes, not the Omnibus, which was ironically squeezed to make it's full-screen credits fit.
I don't remember seeing this ECP on any other BBC programme. Mind you it only needed a right-alignment of text on the inside of the 4:3 safeline to disguise the entire fact it was an ECP design in the first place. Repeats wouldn't then have credit runs floating about in an arbituary position on the screen.
BR
Brekkie
I'm sure it was on Casualty and Holby City as well, but that was probably about it.

Newer posts