TV Home Forum

101 ways to leave a gameshow

(July 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
stevek2
sounds boring, may as well just have 101 doors and let the contestant leave through any door when they get an answer wrong Confused

what is the point
DA
davidhorman
As a supporter of the licence fee, I do cringe when I see trashy programmes like this on the BBC. It's not original, distinctive, quality, or something which couldn't be done in the commercial sector, and simply gives ammunition to those who want the fee scrapped.

With the BBC trying to justify every penny of its existence at the moment, I don't understand how they think spending money on crud like this is acceptable. They need to leave that kind of drivel to ITV.

Hear hear. Are there any viewing figures available yet?

Next week it's up against Odd One In - which sounds almost as awful (Call My Bluff mashed up with What's My Line), but at least we're not paying for it Rolling Eyes

David
MI
Michael
If you've ever bought a product that's been advertised on commercial TV, then I'm afraid you're paying for it just as much as you're paying for BBC programming via the licence fee.
MA
Maaixuew
Maybe the BBC just wanted to try some different, I know that certainly in the past, the BBC in London used to send the more crazy, wacky ideas to BBC Manchester (Red Dwarf for example), and I guess this was an idea that wasn't executed very well unfortunately.
BR
Brekkie
As a supporter of the licence fee, I do cringe when I see trashy programmes like this on the BBC. It's not original, distinctive, quality, or something which couldn't be done in the commercial sector, and simply gives ammunition to those who want the fee scrapped.

With the BBC trying to justify every penny of its existence at the moment, I don't understand how they think spending money on crud like this is acceptable. They need to leave that kind of drivel to ITV.

Hear hear. Are there any viewing figures available yet?

They are and surprisingly it found around 2m viewers during the hour, averaging 4.02m but beginning with 2.97m and ending with 4.97m. Be interesting to see how many come back next week as with that and Tonight's the Night on BBC1 and Odd One In and Magic Numbers on ITV1 there seems to be a four way fight for summer flop of the year.
IS
Inspector Sands
Apologies for the huge file below, but this shows how the 'set' moves within the "101 Tower".

I'm still not entirely convinced, that could just be a big hoist/lift.

Either way, the transition between the studio and the outside wasn't fluid enough to justify it being in the tower... they could have been answering questions in London for all the atmosphere it added.

There's no point having a studio at all really, answering questions while attached to bungee rope and ready to 'leave' the programme would have been better and would speed up the programme
IS
Inspector Sands

It's not a great show but is it any more trashy than It's a Knockout?
DV
DVB Cornwall

It's not a great show but is it any more trashy than It's a Knockout?

It's a Knockout was not trashy! Shocked Brilliant entertainment, I was almost distraught when it ended.
DA
David
Apologies for the huge file below, but this shows how the 'set' moves within the "101 Tower".

What else would it be?
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
As per other comments I think 1 hour is far too long for this programme. It could easily be cut down to 45 minutes and would probably improve it (as well as making it easier for repeating on a commercial channel).
IS
Inspector Sands

What else would it be?

My point exactly Cool
RA
rayhen114

Either way, the transition between the studio and the outside wasn't fluid enough to justify it being in the tower... they could have been answering questions in London for all the atmosphere it added.

There's no point having a studio at all really, answering questions while attached to bungee rope and ready to 'leave' the programme would have been better and would speed up the programme

That's what I gathered. The concept consisted of lining up in the studio, each person picking a question, then going outside to get ready for the 'drop' then being told who answered each question again, then giving us the answer that was correct, saving that person and then finally...20mins later revelling the actual answer from the question that was originally asked. meh.

Newer posts