TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2007 - Helsinki

SERBIA WIN...."it's their turn". (March 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
Ireland's song was more classy than the UK's.
SE
seamus
I actually think Ireland's song isn't that bad. We might have a chance.

Dervish-They can't stop the spring.
PT
Put The Telly On
Tumble Tower posted:
"Pure and Simple Everytime" which came out late 80s / early 90s - who was it by?

"Pure" by The Lightning Seeds? Sounds nothing like it.

Also some Polish YouTube member has made a 9 min scoreboard simulation (from www.escnation.com) for tomorrow's results. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvBjp30wYOY
:-(
A former member
I know our entry is seen as terrible, as all UK Entrys will be, but it is catchy IMO, any how - good luck!
JO
Jon
nok32uk posted:
I reckon if we took Eurovision seriously, Paddy would be the natural successor for Wogan in the future. That may be the case as the final may well move to BBC Three when Wogan goes - which I hope will be a long time off yet.

I dont think it would move straight to BBC Three when Terry decides to quit (unless the ratings had dramaticly droped towards the end of his time) I think theyed try to keep it on BBC One for at least 3 more years experementing with commentry ETC. I would hope Paddy would get the Job. Ofcourse every one would still be able to see it on BBC Three as we would all presubly be digital by this time. It would just be on slightly less high profile channel. But who knows how the contests going to change in the next few years.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
wells posted:
nok32uk posted:
I reckon if we took Eurovision seriously, Paddy would be the natural successor for Wogan in the future. That may be the case as the final may well move to BBC Three when Wogan goes - which I hope will be a long time off yet.

I dont think it would move straight to BBC Three when Terry decides to quit (unless the ratings had dramaticly droped towards the end of his time) I think theyed try to keep it on BBC One for at least 3 more years experementing with commentry ETC. I would hope Paddy would get the Job. Ofcourse every one would still be able to see it on BBC Three as we would all presubly be digital by this time. It would just be on slightly less high profile channel. But who knows how the contests going to change in the next few years.

Under current EBU rules they couldn't actually do that even if they wanted to:

Quote:
The Semi-Final and the Grand Final shall be broadcast in their entirety by each Participating Broadcaster on one of its main terrestrial channels.

The 14 Participating Broadcasters which are not competing in the Semi-Final may broadcast the Semi-Final on one of their secondary national terrestrial channels.

Source: Eurovision Song Contest 2007 rules

Of course, by the time of digital switchover, whether BBC Three will qualify as a 'main terrestrial channel' is debatable.
HC
Hatton Cross
Inspector Sands posted:
Hatton Cross posted:

So, here's the Hatton Cross annual improvements to reduce the block vote factor.
1) Open the phone/text line for each country AFTER that performance has finished. This should provide an more even spread of votes, and end the quite ridiculous 10mins to vote scrum at 9.45pm.

Wouldn't that give the early songs an advantage and the songs near the end a massive disadvantage?

Maybe, but I still believe the small window to phone/text is the reason so much friendly voting goes on.

Inspector Sands posted:
Hatton Cross posted:

3) After all the votes have been counted, you can only give a maximum 6 points to a land or sea bordering country. So, therefore Switzerland can only give 6 to Germany, Italy, France and Lichtenstein (if they ever entered). The UK could only give 6 to, Ireland, Iceland, Norway, The Netherlands, and France. This would stop in an instant some of the more doubious voting from our former Soviet friends.

Interesting, but as well as restricting what the eastern countries do it would also amplify the disadvantage that the old big coutries have . The UK would have 5 (or 7 if you include Belguim and Denmark) countries that can't give us 12 votes, 9 that can't for Germany etc.

And what about Israel and Malta?

Yep, but you need a deterent and the geographical kneecapping I proposed would sort that our. You would still be able to phone in and vote of the other 24 finallists, but once the votes have been counted it is at that point the 6 points maximum rule would be applied.
BO
squawkBOX
DVB Cornwall posted:
Titles / End Credits

The start of the semi final of the contest was abysmal due to the BBC inserting their own material, regrettably the end credits were also hacked, as the final also will be due to the presence of sponsors logos in them.

Unfortunately of the four credit sequences the only accurate one will be the start of the final.

The only source of the full titles in the UK will be the DVD release in a few weeks time.

I don't understand why the BBC tries to cover a lot of the logos. I watched the stream online and the only sponsor logo that appears is the company that brings all the phone/SMS votes together (digame.de) and the sponsors at the end are usually the ones like TeleSonera who provide the telecoms stuff. What difference is this to Sport events where you have IBM etc. appearing on screen and the recent snooker with the BBC putting "888.com" on their own graphics?
MI
Michael
Because the name of the tournament is the 888.Com World Championship - hence why they always called it the Embassy, hence why they call it the Barclays Premiership etc. etc... it's not advertising, its fulfilling a contractual obligation.
PS
Psythor
TEDIOUS PLUG!

I'm going to be live-blogging Eurovision tonight. As I'm a big TV pres nerd I guess I might have a thing or two to say about the graphics, which, er, might interest you.

I mean, if you're interested in listening to a loud-mouth spout his worthless opinions.

http://jamesomalley.co.uk/blog/
KK
kkyuubi
squawkBOX posted:
I don't understand why the BBC tries to cover a lot of the logos. I watched the stream online and the only sponsor logo that appears is the company that brings all the phone/SMS votes together (digame.de) and the sponsors at the end are usually the ones like TeleSonera who provide the telecoms stuff. What difference is this to Sport events where you have IBM etc. appearing on screen and the recent snooker with the BBC putting "888.com" on their own graphics?

The BBC is not allowed to advertise, it's a public service broadcaster only funded mainly by license fees. If it were on ITV however, it would not be butchered like that.
DB
dbl
I've set up a mini Eurovision chat room, I remember we had one last year but not this year. Confused
http://gabbly.com/http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24389

Newer posts