TV Home Forum

GMTV boss quits

(September 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Spencer
itsrobert posted:
On the subject of GMTV, can somebody explain something to me? On my TV when I select a channel the channel name appears at the bottom of the screen. For ITV1 it says "Granada Television" but during GMTV it always changes to "GMTV". Why is that? Why does the channel name change during GMTV?

I think I'm right in saying that this is the case in the former GMG regions of Yorkshire, Granada, Tyne Tees and possibly Border. I suppose it's because GMTV holds the licence from 6.00-9.25am, rather than the ITV companies, and so the teletext channel identifier changes accordingly, as does the banner at the top of P600 teletext.

Why this isn't the case in other regions, and why no-one's spotted that there's no mention of ITV1 on the northern channel identifiers I've no idea.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Spencer For Hire posted:
itsrobert posted:
On the subject of GMTV, can somebody explain something to me? On my TV when I select a channel the channel name appears at the bottom of the screen. For ITV1 it says "Granada Television" but during GMTV it always changes to "GMTV". Why is that? Why does the channel name change during GMTV?

I think I'm right in saying that this is the case in the former GMG regions of Yorkshire, Granada, Tyne Tees and possibly Border. I suppose it's because GMTV holds the licence from 6.00-9.25am, rather than the ITV companies, and so the teletext channel identifier changes accordingly, as does the banner at the top of P600 teletext.

Why this isn't the case in other regions, and why no-one's spotted that there's no mention of ITV1 on the northern channel identifiers I've no idea.

So in the south of England does the teletext channel identifier say "ITV1"? I've always wondered why we still get "Granada Television".
SP
Spencer
itsrobert posted:
Spencer For Hire posted:
itsrobert posted:

So in the south of England does the teletext channel identifier say "ITV1"? I've always wondered why we still get "Granada Television".

From what I remember at my parents' in Centralshire it is just 'ITV1'. Having said that they've gone digital now on the big telly, so it's been a while since I've checked.
KE
Kevster
StuartPlymouth posted:

Never heard of people with a small TV next to the kitchen table? Shocked

Yes, of course. But only in houses where families have to make their own food and spend a lot of time in the kitchen (self-catering).
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Kevster posted:
StuartPlymouth posted:

Yes, of course. But only in houses where families have to make their own food and spend a lot of time in the kitchen (self-catering).

Which is a hell of a percentage of the population!
TV
tvmercia Founding member
itsrobert posted:
Spencer For Hire posted:
itsrobert posted:

on central the channel identifier used to change in the morning to say gmtv - but i haven't watched gmtv on analogue for a long time.

i presume the ex-carlton regions had their channel identifiers changed to itv1 when their ancillary teletexts were quickly re-done to remove any trace of the carlton name?
KE
Kevster
itsrobert posted:
Kevster posted:
StuartPlymouth posted:

Which is a hell of a percentage of the population!

Yeah I know, but I know loads of people who don't watch television first thing in the morning. It's an activity I associate only with winter evenings. In the summer months I'm stuck on a yacht off the south of France with no english TV and only occasional internet.
BL
theblokewhatwritesthenews
intheknow posted:

Sorry, but recently at least, that is ****. BBC Breakfast has been trouncing GMTV for a couple of months, and even now when you would expect GMTV to recover after summer, it is either a dead heat or Breakfast is ahead.

That's utter b+llocks, and the same diatripe spewed by the Tristrams at White city during the summer months.
Last week share of individuals:
GMTV: 28.7%
Breakfast: 27.9%

The week previous
GMTV: 29%
Breakfast: 28%

GMTV's audience is young families, specifically housewives and kids. The type of people who go on holiday when the schools are off, leaving behind the old, the infirm, the people who can't work their remote, let alone change the channel from... 1 which turns on when the telly is on.
Housewives and kids share:
GMTV: 34.4%, up 1.1% on last year

To clarify, the oldie pensioner p!ssy knickers and lavender core audience of BBC Breakfast - the same people they plot their contrived camaraderie and 'explainer' graphics too.
Hence the 'lead' over summer, and hence the return to a ratings trounce from September...and make no mistake, it's a drubbing.
Why?
GMTV's Newshour programme last week has more viewers than Newsnight, the Channel 4 News at 7pm, ITV Lunchtime News and Channel 5 News at 7.
Go do some research before spewing.

Face it, re-launch, re-hash, Breakfast is more boring than two bald people argueing about wigs. And it's why people want to wake up, be informed, and be left with a smile on their face.
JE
Jez Founding member
Spencer For Hire posted:
itsrobert posted:

Ive noticed that on my tv as well and my region is ITV/HTV Wales. I too think its because techically GMTV is a channel rather than a tv programme.
KE
kernow
itsrobert posted:
Spencer For Hire posted:
itsrobert posted:

In the Meridian region, it is "itv1" (and has been since Meridian moved to Whiteley). Before this, it was "ITV1 Meridian" (but only for a brief period after being changed from "Meridian Broadcast"). During GMTV it is "GMTV"

In the Westcountry, it is "ITV1 Westcountry", and I think it stays like this during GMTV (although haven't watched GMTV for a while, so can't be certain on this). In the days of Westcountry and Carlton, it used to change during GMTV.
KE
Kevster
theblokewhatwritesthenews posted:
And it's why people want to wake up, be informed, and be left with a smile on their face.

Have sex while listening to the Today programme on Radio 4. You'd be informed and left smiling.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Kevster posted:
In the summer months I'm stuck on a yacht off the south of France with no english TV and only occasional internet.

Well, we can certainly all look forward to that.

Newer posts