The Newsroom

Sky News: Presenters & Rotas

Chat about Sky News Presenters and Rotas Here (July 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Those two are always going to balance each other, and are both experienced enough journos not to need reigning in or steering away from libel/contempt issues. Leaving them to it seems a perfectly valid way to host it.

That's true of the two people to whom you refer, but remember, it's principally the producer's job (most nights, me) to brief the guests on any sensitive legal areas (and sometimes to spare the feelings of guests whose papers might have printed stuff that Sky News as an Ofcom-regulated broadcaster doesn't feel comfortable running.)

That was really the point I was trying to make, that the presenter was able to take more of a back seat with those particular guests but on another night with different guests may need to steer the conversation to a greater degree or put a devil's advocate view etc. The implied criticism of a presenter for knowing when to keep quiet - I mean that in a completely complimentary way - is misplaced.
NB
nbafan89
Sky News being simulcast on Sky 1 for a minutes silence for the Finsbury Park Attack.

EDIT: Didn't realise this was Presenters thread.

it was also on BBC's 1 and 2 bizarrely, as this minutes silence was just for ONE victim, minute's silences IMO need to be for more than one victim
SK
Skygeek
Those two are always going to balance each other, and are both experienced enough journos not to need reigning in or steering away from libel/contempt issues. Leaving them to it seems a perfectly valid way to host it.

That's true of the two people to whom you refer, but remember, it's principally the producer's job (most nights, me) to brief the guests on any sensitive legal areas (and sometimes to spare the feelings of guests whose papers might have printed stuff that Sky News as an Ofcom-regulated broadcaster doesn't feel comfortable running.)

That was really the point I was trying to make, that the presenter was able to take more of a back seat with those particular guests but on another night with different guests may need to steer the conversation to a greater degree or put a devil's advocate view etc. The implied criticism of a presenter for knowing when to keep quiet - I mean that in a completely complimentary way - is misplaced.

And, for what it's worth, I didn't take it that way. I was just explaining - as the most-frequent papers producer - how it tends to work. I was sorry to miss doing Amanda's first go last night, as I'm on-leave, but I thought she did very well.
LL
London Lite Founding member
It also helps that JHB is an experienced broadcaster as well as a journalist, so will be more than aware of Ofcom rules.
CI
cityprod
It also helps that JHB is an experienced broadcaster as well as a journalist, so will be more than aware of Ofcom rules.

Who's JHB?
DV
dvboy
Julia Hartley Brewer I assume
SK
Skygeek
dvboy posted:

Indeed.
CI
cityprod
dvboy posted:

Indeed.

Ah, thank you both.
JK
JK08
Amanda Walker on Sunrise this morning however she seems to have disappeared around 6:30, absent for the 6:40 paper review.

EDIT: Back afte 6:50 break, apparently an issue with an earpiece.
Last edited by JK08 on 27 June 2017 6:54am
DE
derek500
Darren McCaffrey leaving Westminster to launch new Dublin bureau.
SK
Skygeek
Expect to see a long-absent-but-familiar face in the chair in Sky's midday slot on Thursday.

I shall say no more for now!
Last edited by Skygeek on 4 July 2017 4:08pm
DK
DanielK
Expect to see a new-but-familiar face in the chair in Sky's midday slot on Thursday.

I shall say no more for now!

Mark Austin

Newer posts