TV Home Forum

Red Nose Day 2017

(March 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
They have certainly appeared as the Dictionary Corner act on 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. But yeah, the act is a bit lost on me too.
MA
madmusician
Well. I'm still not entirely sure what it's all about. Presumably this is a fringe type of act that's not been seen on tv before? Clearly the performers weren't briefed on how it was being made (not realising it was live seems extraordinary).

I'm not sure that we should take that video literally. (As I'm sure you realise) Brett Domino is a 'character', played by the excellent multi-instrumentalist and producer Rob Madin, and the awkwardness-on-stage and on camera is part of the schtick. So I wouldn't be surprised if this video uses a bit of poetic license into what went wrong, and I suspect more was the fault of the RND team than is given away in that video. (I highly doubt he was downloading a movie on his Mac whilst performing for example!!)

I think that they are fab, and I hope that this doesn't put TV people off using them again. Although, I must admit, I preferred it when they did covers of songs (such as the Grandstand one) - they recently released an album of original material and I don't dig that one quite as much.

56 days later

RK
Rkolsen
I'm bumping this thread because today is Red Nose Day here in the US and NBC is not going the typical live three hour special they've done in the past. Tonight there are special Red Nose themed special versions of was Running Wild with Bear Grylls (I think it's Julia Roberts) and America Ninja Warrior where each obstacle passed gets cash. Finally at 10PM they are airing a live one hour special - complete with a healthy dose of ad inventory.

In my opinion it seems like this charity started off as a good idea in the US but has since fizzled. The first year I remember seeing ads everywhere from Walgreens selling the Red Noses to big stunts like Matt Lauer's 226 mile bike ride. Previously there were ads in the weeks leading up in practically every break but now it seems like they only started actively promoting it in the past week and a half.
DB
dbl
I'm bumping this thread because today is Red Nose Day here in the US and NBC is not going the typical live three hour special they've done in the past. Tonight there are special Red Nose themed special versions of was Running Wild with Bear Grylls (I think it's Julia Roberts) and America Ninja Warrior where each obstacle passed gets cash. Finally at 10PM they are airing a live one hour special - complete with a healthy dose of ad inventory.

Channel 4 here have done this to SUTC (Stand Up To Cancer) started as live event, but changed to SUTC themed programmes. But on some years they've brought back the live show.
BR
Brekkie
C4 alternate between the telethon and the themed shows. A shame the US don't do a full on telethon but many in the US are often just an hour long anyway.
MD
MrDexB
dbl posted:

Channel 4 here have done this to SUTC (Stand Up To Cancer) started as live event, but changed to SUTC themed programmes. But on some years they've brought back the live show.

Correction: the live show is bi-yearly but the themed shows continue every year.
DB
dbl
dbl posted:

Correction: the live show is bi-yearly but the themed shows continue every year.

I stand slightly corrected.
RK
Rkolsen
Turns out the broadcast wasn't in a proper venue but rather the Today Show plaza when it's setup for their concert series. The entire thing was lit up in red and the catwalk (which normally has the Today logo) was red with the Red Nose Logo. They added a dunk tank with Bryan Cranston in it. To top it all it was raining outside which caused a gaffe at the beginning:

At the end of the east coast airing they raised $33,579,029. At the end they raised over $35 million per an NBCUMV press release bringing the 3 year total to over $95 million. However NBC will rebroadcast the Red Nosed Theme Celebrity Ninja Warrior on May 28 in what I assume as a way to raise more money. In addition there is a matching period where Bill & Melinda Gates and Ellen Degeneres will match donations up to $1 million and $100,000 respectively through June 15.

Also it appears that Walgreens donated $18 million in all profits from Red Nose Gear, M&Ms $1 million and Comcast (owner of NBC) donated $1.2 million. So it looks like they cleaned up.

For the night [ur=http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/thursday-final-ratings-may-25-2017/]NBC came in second ratings[/ur] wise with a 0.9/1.2 but second place with an average of 3.69 total million viewers.

Newer posts