TV Home Forum

Swearing on ITV1 in daytime schedule (15/6)

Thanks, Ozzie! (June 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Anyone see the F1 on ITV last night, Martin Brundle doing his pre-race trackwalk finding people to interview, stumbles across Ozzie Osbourne.... BIG MISTAKE!

MB's 2nd big mistake was asking Ozzie if he'd brought his dogs with him.... at about 6:45ish, Ozzie comes out with the reply "No, they're at home s***ting!" (typical Ozzie attitude!) Martin then says "Thanks very much, we'll move on"... when we cut back to the studio, Jim Rosenthal apologises if our enjoyment was spoilt by Osbourne's comments, then tells the studio guests (can't remember their names - think one is Tony Jardine) not to talk about Ozzie's dogs!

And that was ITV1's early evening excitement.

It seems strange though that ITV1 have a different view to the BBC on how they class swearwords - on the BBC if they show a film in the afternoon, they leave the S-word in but ITV obviously have a different list of unacceptable words.
DV
dvboy
I'm surprised by the reaction of the ITV F1 team. I would probably expect the guy to have ended the interview then as he did but to refer back to it after it seems unproffesional, as if they didn't really have any plans for such an event to happen in the programme. On the BBC or at Channel 4, you'd probably have just the one apology in a live programme, either at the time or from the CA at the end (e.g. Big Brother) - all that's necessary in daytime.

I think verbal censorship is a lot more lax these days than it used to be, on TV and radio, and why not? Everyone uses these words in their day to day life. The odd "sh*t" or "p*ss" here or there is hardly worth noting. 20 "sh*t"s in as many minutes might be - even after the ITC watershed it's unneccesary and would be out of place unless mabye when used in a comedic form, just in the same way the word "hoover" would be if said 20 times over.

Think about the poor guys in America with their silly movie-style ratings system, pixellating and beeping - many subjects we'd happily bring up on UK TV are a taboo over there.

Oh, and don't you think the obscenity filter on this site is a bit silly, especially when you'd expect topics like this to pop up now and again. Most people here are pretty mature and those who aren't are only going to bypass the filter already anyway.
:-(
A former member
I thought it was quite funny, really. And what did they expect to get from Ozzy Osbourne's mouth? The Queen's English?
MD
Mr D'Arcy
LOL ITV should be used to the word sh*t, it pumps it out 24 hours of the day! Laughing
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Speaking of the Queen, I'm surprised Ozzie didn't swear at the Jubilee concert - mind you, I think he was scared of the Queen or something, I remember Jennie Bond quoting him as saying he didn't want to do anything wrong for fear of being thrown in the tower!

59 days later

A former member
ITV1 left SH!T in when Pop Idol was on.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
James Martin posted:
ITV1 left SH!T in when Pop Idol was on.

Talk about dredging something up from the bowels of the forum.

Was it really worth it ? Rolling Eyes
PE
Pete Founding member
Lee Stanley posted:
Oh, and don't you think the obscenity filter on this site is a bit silly, especially when you'd expect topics like this to pop up now and again. Most people here are pretty mature and those who aren't are only going to bypass the filter already anyway.

indeedy. The thing I want to know is why there are half a dozen ways of censoring t wat but only one way of censoring c*nt.
A former member
Lee Stanley posted:
Scunthorpe springs to mind. Yup! It's been censored! It should say S C U N T H O R P E

Newer posts