TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland to launch new channel

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Any confirmation on the channel's name yet?
PC
p_c_u_k
Wicko posted:
Perhaps it's worth writing to the culture secretary to ask why Scotland is being regarded as more preferential by the BBC, for which we ALL pay equal fees to get, than other parts of the UK. Will Wales get its own channel? Will NI? Will England get its own regional, 7pm - midnight channels to cater for those who are interested in what affects them locally? Or, will it be proven that this is gerrymandering to political situations in which the Government and the BBC are trying to keep Scotland sweet over Brexit? Because, whilst the SNP are in power in Scotland,no matter what is given to the Scots, according to the Scottish Parliament, it will NEVER be good enough.

Can we get back to discussing TV presentation and programming? This thread feels increasingly like it's filling in for the Digital Spy forums...
RD
RDJ
Any confirmation on the channel's name yet?

As mentioned on the original BBC News article, the channel will be known as 'BBC Scotland'.
RE
Rex
Something that's needed is an assessment as to where on Freeview this is going to go. The only place I can think is space vacated in the evening by removing the broadcast red button service during the BBC Scotland broadcast hours.

It looks to be mainly PSB1 for that matter - but bandwidth has been constrained. In Scotland - you have the usual 7 BBC streams, plus BBC Alba which eats on BBC Radio service airtime in Scotland (Radio 1, 2, 3, World Service, Radio Nan Gaidheal).

I'm suspecting that it could be another cutback to the BBC Radio roster - though in recent years they've made better use of compression techniques to fit in the other stations including Radio 4 and 1Xtra. However I'm suspicious. Their mux capacity is full, and it may be a serviceable move to either reduce bitrates or reduce hours on the other stations.

As for the topic at hand - I had to think quite a bit regarding the matter here - to avoid impulsivity mainly. I'm divided on the subject of a new BBC channel for Scotland.

I welcome the fact that the BBC are actually doing something with regards to the Nations. The new channel is quite a surprise - though it does reaffirm the notion that they're needing to provide more for the nations. Scottish people in particular are getting a lot more from the BBC with these new developments. The increase in programming is a welcome move.

The Scottish Nine however - they've put through the focus of news being delivered from a Scottish perspective, but at 9pm I think the slot could be facing a difficult challenge. An odd decision when prime time is well underway across the five terrestrial channels and some of the multichannels.

I'm finding it questionable though how the BBC would actually manage to launch such a channel with the money they've got, when they had DQF running amok over the years.

I'm divided on this subject, but we'll see how it happens...
WI
Wicko
Wicko posted:
Perhaps it's worth writing to the culture secretary to ask why Scotland is being regarded as more preferential by the BBC, for which we ALL pay equal fees to get, than other parts of the UK. Will Wales get its own channel? Will NI? Will England get its own regional, 7pm - midnight channels to cater for those who are interested in what affects them locally? Or, will it be proven that this is gerrymandering to political situations in which the Government and the BBC are trying to keep Scotland sweet over Brexit? Because, whilst the SNP are in power in Scotland,no matter what is given to the Scots, according to the Scottish Parliament, it will NEVER be good enough.

Can we get back to discussing TV presentation and programming? This thread feels increasingly like it's filling in for the Digital Spy forums...

We don't know what the presentation and programming will be for BBC Scotland. All comments on this thread are appropriate to the discussion, because clearly the BBC is something that we all have an opinion about, so whilst some will be happy with BBC Scotland, it is obvious that others won't be so supportive. Of course, once we know the presentation and programming details, it will be discussed accordingly.
RE
Rex
Now, can we all get back to what we love which is TV presentation? You may not like the politics, but at least we have a fresh new channel with new presentation and idents we can all probably agree will be rubbish! Very Happy

It is rumoured that Martin Parr is already dusting off his camera equipment and formulating ideas for "Scottishness" Rolling Eyes

Have they received a tripod yet?
WI
Wicko
Now, can we all get back to what we love which is TV presentation? You may not like the politics, but at least we have a fresh new channel with new presentation and idents we can all probably agree will be rubbish! Very Happy

It is rumoured that Martin Parr is already dusting off his camera equipment and formulating ideas for "Scottishness" Rolling Eyes

There's only one "Scottishness" and that lives in a loch in Drumnadrochit! Very Happy
M7
m7891
A reminder that England gets BBC Local Radio something that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland(*) don't. Their National Radio services are in no way comparable. I'd suggest that this investment goes someway to balance that in the overall scheme of things.

(*) Radio Foyle being the exception.

But the BBC Local Radio budget is only £115 million for the whole of England with a population of over 50 million, whilst the BBC Scotland budget is £86 million according to Wikipedia (not the most reliable source I know), and soon to be increased by £30 million given the recent news, despite serving a population of just over 5 million.

But the English regions are well-served by so-called national programming, whereas the BBC Scotland budget needs to pay for everything that is "Scotland-only".

As an example, Match of the Day is paid for out of the BBC Sport budget; Sportscene is paid for out of the BBC Scotland budget.
TL
toby lerone 2016
Wicko posted:

There's only one "Scottishness" and that lives in a loch in Drumnadrochit! Very Happy

Can see it now, Scottishness with every Scottish stereotype going such men in kilts eating haggis and drinking Irn Bru
RK
Rkolsen
When I heard the new channel launch I thought of this sketch from Tracey Ullman:

CA
Cando
When I heard the new channel launch I thought of this sketch from Tracey Ullman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtpk0dH9LJM

Mhari Black ....brilliant
MA
Markymark
Something that's needed is an assessment as to where on Freeview this is going to go. The only place I can think is space vacated in the evening by removing the broadcast red button service during the BBC Scotland broadcast hours.

It looks to be mainly PSB1 for that matter - but bandwidth has been constrained. In Scotland - you have the usual 7 BBC streams, plus BBC Alba which eats on BBC Radio service airtime in Scotland (Radio 1, 2, 3, World Service, Radio Nan Gaidheal).

I'm suspecting that it could be another cutback to the BBC Radio roster - though in recent years they've made better use of compression techniques to fit in the other stations including Radio 4 and 1Xtra. However I'm suspicious. Their mux capacity is full, and it may be a serviceable move to either reduce bitrates or reduce hours on the other stations.

Converting PSB 1 to DVB-T2 would work technically, just not politically !

Newer posts