TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh
Actually does make a huge difference.

Throw a suitable soundtrack over it and it'd actually be pretty good.

How about…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM8hNnNBLro

đŸ˜‚ Sodding brilliant, Phil.
Last edited by Josh on 14 January 2017 8:21pm
WI
Wicko
Now there are four idents and a variety of stings,I don't mind them. I have always said that variety would make them better, and it has. At the end of the day, they are just 16 second films to tell us what's on next. Nothing more, nothing less. It is the inconsistency with the rest of the presentation that bugs me far more!
DP
D.Page
JoshX posted:

Throw a suitable soundtrack over it and it'd actually be pretty good.

How about…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM8hNnNBLro

Only thing against it is one of continuity. By trimming the start point of the end shot, the dog's head is in a different orientation in relation to the people around it, at change of shot. Great effort, though. The music works well.
RE
Rex
JoshX posted:

Only thing against it is one of continuity. By trimming the start point of the end shot, the dog's head is in a different orientation in relation to the people around it, at change of shot. Great effort, though. The music works well.

ITV's Hearts soundtrack sounds well good. It's a great mock to be fair.

Wicko posted:
Now there are four idents and a variety of stings,I don't mind them. I have always said that variety would make them better, and it has. At the end of the day, they are just 16 second films to tell us what's on next. Nothing more, nothing less. It is the inconsistency with the rest of the presentation that bugs me far more!

Although I've been a bit of a cynic with regards to my opinions on the idents, I don't mind them much - BBC ONE's programming standards are great, and judging from what's been said about the Oneness campaign, it looks like it'll last throughout just this year from the looks of it. I do have to concur with consistency - it's now on par with what's on screen for BBC TWO - which has suffered from this for much longer.
BR
Brekkie
Wicko posted:

This is a presentation forum at the end of the day and I do think you're defending them for the sake of defending them - you're pretty much the lone voice in doing so (and do note we're far from BBC bashers here - we're not Digital Spy!), although I completely agree the incosistency with the rest of the presentation, not just on BBC1 but across the BBC is probably the bigger issue. That is how we've ended up with Oneness.

The thing that really frustrates me here is the lack of care - there is just no love in these idents at all. D.Page showed that actually a couple of simple changes make them look so much better, and the hearts mock actually shows that perhaps ending the ident on an animation rather than a lingering shot could improve them further. The thing is this isn't the sort of thing we should be doing here in the aftermath of them debuting on air - it's the sort of thing that the creatives should have addressed before they got anywhere near a television screen.
VM
VMPhil
JoshX posted:

It was only meant to be a throwaway jokey thing so I appreciate you saying it's a great effort. My slightly more serious idea used the 2002 music but I thought I'd go the whole hog and just turn into a 1999 ITV ident. Here's my original idea anyway.

DP
D.Page
JoshX posted:

It was only meant to be a throwaway jokey thing so I appreciate you saying it's a grr ifeat effort. My slightly more serious idea used the 2002 music but I thought I'd go the whole hog and just turn into a 1999 ITV ident. Here's my original idea anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVSWTK5D4UI

Yes, good. Would work better if you just looped the ambient sound of the earlier part of Mountain Rescue's soundtrack, so you don't get Al Dupres' voiceover and instead, just the ITV soundtrack, along with Mountain Rescue soundtrack's wind and rattling of the thingy attached to the dog, but at a low level.

(Your video title says BBC 2016)
Last edited by D.Page on 14 January 2017 9:44pm
WI
Wicko
Wicko posted:

This is a presentation forum at the end of the day and I do think you're defending them for the sake of defending them - you're pretty much the lone voice in doing so (and do note we're far from BBC bashers here - we're not Digital Spy!), although I completely agree the incosistency with the rest of the presentation, not just on BBC1 but across the BBC is probably the bigger issue. That is how we've ended up with Oneness.

The thing that really frustrates me here is the lack of care - there is just no love in these idents at all. D.Page showed that actually a couple of simple changes make them look so much better, and the hearts mock actually shows that perhaps ending the ident on an animation rather than a lingering shot could improve them further. The thing is this isn't the sort of thing we should be doing here in the aftermath of them debuting on air - it's the sort of thing that the creatives should have addressed before they got anywhere near a television screen.

i'm not defending for the sake of defending. i'm merely just stating that having variety with several stings enhances them. I still haven't heard anyone outside here or Digital Spy comment on them at all. Of course they're not the best idents the BBC have ever created, and for BBC1, they are below par, but compared to having to endure swimmers and exercise class constantly onloop,which did bring BBC1 presentation to a new low, the addition of the new two, especially with the three versions of Wheelchair Rugby - which are obviously different compared to other variants, really do strengthen the package. Of course I would prefer a top notch ident package in the way circles were created, but we haven't got that. We got oneness and as such I'm prepared to accept that and just await new additions to the set. We have spent 113 pages constantly moaning about the idents and it is obvious the BBC are not going to say "Oh them dudes on TV Forum don't like our new idents so we'll axe them!" so there really is no point in declaring that they're terrible anymore.
:-(
A former member
Were not stupid, its not like the BBC of old, where it can just write off money, like Doctor who in 85 or eldorado. Were stuck with them until early December and thats that. Of course if no one talking about them, that could be a double edge sword, since if well... if there not making an proper impact people will just right them off, and if that is the case "Oneness" has been an utter flop...... It can work both way.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
But compare and contrast with the C4 stuff. We understand the link to the previous idents, the concept behind it and can appreciate it as a bold attempt to be clever which may be lost on the more casual viewer.

If we think Oneness is cheap and nasty crap with very little merit at all, chances are the public at large are just at baffled or don't care, in which case why bother?
:-(
A former member
But compare and contrast with the C4 stuff. We understand the link to the previous idents, the concept behind it and can appreciate it as a bold attempt to be clever which may be lost on the more casual viewer.

If we think Oneness is cheap and nasty crap with very little merit at all, chances are the public at large are just at baffled or don't care, in which case why bother?

Will for starters we would all like to know the reason behide the "Oneness" The point of branding and presentation is to promote the company in question, give it a better light. Make it connect with its customers better. IF said customers or baffled of course there wont care.
WI
Wicko
"Oneness" is just a worded interpretation of what the circles depicted - bringing the nation together. So the link and the connection to the previous package is there. Of course, we can argue whether we believe it to be well executed or not, but I think it is obvious what "oneness" means!

Newer posts