TV Home Forum

UKTV Gold hours to be slashed on TUTV?

(January 2006)

MS
Mark Smith
I've just heard from another forum, and checked myself, that BBCi and Teletext are both listing reduced hours for UKTV Gold, now closing at 5pm instead of 5am, therefore losing 12 hours. Could this be to make room for one of the new Five channels?

As UKTV Gold is probably one of the most viewed channels on Top Up TV in primetime, surely this makes things very difficult for the service if it turns out to be true?
TV
TV Fetish West Country (East) Points West
Mark Smith posted:
I've just heard from another forum, and checked myself, that BBCi and Teletext are both listing reduced hours for UKTV Gold, now closing at 5pm instead of 5am, therefore losing 12 hours. Could this be to make room for one of the new Five channels?

As UKTV Gold is probably one of the most viewed channels on Top Up TV in primetime, surely this makes things very difficult for the service if it turns out to be true?


I hope this isn't true. I shall be pulling the plug on TUTV if it is.
CW
cwathen Founding member West Country (West) Spotlight
Quote:
I've just heard from another forum, and checked myself, that BBCi and Teletext are both listing reduced hours for UKTV Gold, now closing at 5pm instead of 5am, therefore losing 12 hours. Could this be to make room for one of the new Five channels?

I would say that this is a cock up on the part of those listing sources combined with histeria from the idiots on Digital Spy. For a start, there aren't any new channels from C5 which are definately happening, and secondly, even if TUTV did have to loose a slot to make way for such channels, they would doubtless re-arrange things so that another channel suffered curtailed hours and UK Gold could stay on; they're never going to let UK Style and Eurosport run at the expense of UK Gold.
BO
BOL I0X
This is really why I'm sticking to Freeview. Whatever is worth watching on TUTV is hardly on the air!
SK
skyisthebest Wales Wales Today
cwathen posted:
For a start, there aren't any new channels from C5 which are definately happening


Five.2 and Five.3 have been confirmed as launching in early 2006.

Five bought a stake in Top Up TV as a 'strategic investment' in order to launch its new channels.
CW
cwathen Founding member West Country (West) Spotlight
Quote:
Five.2 and Five.3 have been confirmed as launching in early 2006.

No they haven't been confirmed just because you read it on Digital Spy. C5 do indeed hold a broadcasting licence for a second channel but they have confirmed no impending new channel launches.

Various sources have said that they are coming soon, but this is not a guarantee, C5 have nothing more than tentative plans to launch more channels, and these suffered a big set back when C4 won the new DTT slot in November - the slot which More4+1 has taken on DTT is the space which was earmarked for Five.2.

Although C5 will inevitably go multichannel, I have a feeling that this move will become another epic saga like those which surrounded the launch of More4 and ABC1. As it stands now, C5 do not have anywhere to broadcast a second channel on DTT, and the idea of a third channel on DTT any time soon is beyond a joke.

What will probably materialise in time, perhaps this year, although much later into it, is a kids channel, probably called Milkshake in order to tie in with the programming strand on C5. I doubt there will ever be a channel actually branded as Five.2, and I'm not expecting to see a third channel any time soon.

Quote:
Five bought a stake in Top Up TV as a 'strategic investment' in order to launch its new channels.

And at present it's only a 20% stake, the other 80% aren't going to see TUTV go to the wall so that C5 can launch new channels. They'd do better trying to buy TUTV out of some of their carriage contracts to claim back their gifted space.

I'm not saying that there's no truth at all in anthing being reported, but an awful lot of it is people making sweeping assumptions which then get reported by media news sources, which people then take as being confirmation.
DV
DVB Cornwall West Country (West) Spotlight
As has been said previously - Listings error that's all.

Even if it was going to happen they wouldn't pull te plug on a holiday weekend.

Newer posts