From 1957, the ident was a lion rampant with the word Scottish (in caps and lower case) above and Television below.
By 1960 - this was replaced by the 'quadrant' logo with four black squares separated by a thin centre cross. the letters S, T, V, in three boxes and the lion rampant in the fourth.
Then, after, the
# 1965-1970 you can thank MR STV! for these
An animated spinning lion (inside a box) made his debut in 1965 by Francis essex who took over as Controller of programmes: athough this was later modified as a simple zoom in following, according to some reports, a complaint from The Lord Lyon King of Arms, the man in charge of protecting Scotland's heraldry When colour began the lion continued to zoom but in pale blue.
After the start of colour broadcasting, the lion rampant symbol was replaced within a year by a stylised 'STV' logo, which during its 15 year rein, change very little.
The First version showed a zooming STV, by mid 70s it was updated with the letter comforming into the centre to make "STV". By the mid 70s it was used as either a static caption, or form up from a pattered design that was supposed to represent tartan.
In the early 1980s promgramme slide, Roating STV ( 3D animation) or Static Caption was used until 1985.
Accompanying the look was a clock against a blue background with the white STV logo forming a pattern across the screen.
Start up 1957-85:
The station's first theme was a specially composed piece by Geraldo entitled Scotlandia, which began each day's broadcasting - the theme continued to be heard until August 1985,
this was accompanied At the climax by a slowly rotating '3D' STV 'illuminated name block' appeared. The 3D idents were usually produced from actual moving model
The lion rampant appeared in white on a black TV-Screen-shaped box at the top, a black band appeared with the words SCOTTISH TELEVISION in a bold condensed font in white on black centre screen,
and Channel 10 in white on grey at the bottom. However this meant always having a telecine machine available for use at station opening.
When the openings were 12:55 and 16:55 this was relatively simple but as startup got earlier, it wasn't economic to bring an operator in on a special shift just to run a 15" animation,
so that was paermanently dispensed with and a still slide used instead. The 3D animation was never used at startup, as it came off VT
and would have tied up a machine/operator.
* On 31 August 1985 new Computer ident "Thistle" appeared ( also used for start and end caps) ( First got outing in April? )
* NEW Clock kept until DECEMBER 1988**
* In January 1988 a new set of Seasonal Ident were used, which were also used along side the 1985.
+Jan - MARCH: 88 on Scottish
+April, May, June : Flat looking Ident
+July- December: , Water type ident -- Dark blue, Green, yellow one, dark red and Light brown/sandy colour
Sand version of the 1985 ident for summer and Snow version of the 1985 ident for Xmas
* JANUARY 1989: A new 2D identity Blue in colour, with a plump thistle:
* NEW CLOCK, was introduced.
~ Addition tiddlywinks ident with name included from Jan 1991-Dec 1992
~ 1st September STV used inconjuction with the ITV Generic look in 1989, Only last a few months before being completely dropped. by December ?
~ Brown ident introduce from 31 August – December 14th 1990. Brown looking one
~ Scenic ident were also used 4th January until the 30th August 1991
~31st August – 31st October 1991: A fish jumping in a stream, with the 1985 ident. From November was used as for promos up till Christmas
~ Crystal ident 4 January – 27th March 1992
~ Colouful Crystal: 28th March 1992 – 28th August
~ Autumn version of the 1992 Xmas ident. 29th August until the? 10th December 1992
~ Xmas version of used Autumn ident
* Purple Thistle: 1st January 1993 - 3 Nov 1996 ( four night time version plus sport and Jobfinder_)
* light blue/sky thistle: 4th November 1996 to 27 February 2000 Which also had Film and Nighttime version
* Blue Squares : 28 February 2000
* 7 January 2003, when Scottish and Grampian adopted the celebrity idents package, albeit with their own logos attached and also featuring Scottish and Grampian presenters. The package was never updated unlike ITV version which was took place in September 2003. but STV did take sky ident in 2004 for use into the lunchtime news.
* First day Ident: FROM THAMES' written in white in the Helvetica font 'Salute to Thames', composed by Johnny Hawkesworth.
2nd Thames ident in 1968:
* Black and white Sky line,
* in 1969 a new colour sky line ident come into use:
* A second colour version of the ident came into use from 1976,
* digital re-make of the ident, during 1986
* XXI' Ident, summer 1989 for its 21st birthday
* 4th September ITV ident Thames started on a monday!
In September 1990 New logo appeared:
* ITV ident which was updated with the new logo
* New skyline ident was introduce regional programming for London. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMyeVfpUlmI
which different audio and was only used before local shows
* late October/early Nov 1991. of the local ident with Revised music, ident was used for all junctions and programmes.
1st ident appeared 1st January 1982: two version, WeekDay and Weekend.
2nd: GCI TVS logo appeared in 1984???
3rd: TVS logo just roating appered in Auttum 1984 - Sept 87
4th: Ident appeared on 7 September 1987. September 28th news
5th: ident appeared on 2 October 1989
* Launch identity on January 1, 1982,
* Second Ident appeared in May 1985
* Seasonal idents: In September 1989, the station instead chose to launch seasonal idents whic
* First Colour Ident: 1969 - 79
* On 24 October 1979, the ident was modified once more to remove the word colour and to give it a more dynamic form up.
* On 5 September 1988, "Flowing Rivers"
* On Friday 1 September 1989 Tyne Tees adopted the 1989 ITV generic look.
* Tyne Tees abandoned it in May 1991. for blocky glass version, with 89 music
* Updated version on Monday 6th January 1992 - Colourful blocky glass with 89 music
* ANOTHER one: white background No idea when used in 1992: May - October 1992 ??
* Monday 5th October 1992 : The silver TTTV ident
* Monday 2nd September 1996 Channel 3 ident: ended 8th March 1998
* Monday 9th March 1998 - 8 November 1998 ( after this date for LOCAL PROGRAMMES ONLY until 2000.
* Red ident of the 1999 ident for Tyne Tees 40th in Mid January for one week only
* New ident September 2000, TT logo in a white box on top of blue background for LOCAL SHOWS ONLY
From September 1993 until 1996 when the pres department closed completely, for 99% of all programmes IVC or a static slide were used.
The generic ident were replaced with ones produced by Tyne Tees.
* 1968: moving Yorkshire TV
* 1970: Yorkshire TV in colour
* Jan 1982 Updated version with "colour" Dropped and updated String Chervon made bigger and brighter.
* 1983: version of the Serving 6 Million Viewers animation.
* 1984.C Second versoin of 6M with map...
* 1985: third verion Serving 6 Million Viewers slogan from space.
# Programme slides were used into most programmes expect the news: IE 1970s -1987...
* Jan 1987:
~ Liquid Gold ident
~ revolving chevron
~ except before programmes produced by YTV - they were still introduced over a slide, probably because they didn't want to crash two chevron logos - YTV still showed the frontcaps if present on the tapes
* Friday 1st 1989, Yorkshire Television adopted the first ITV generic look
~ Standard version
~ Static version with the Chevron in the middle
????? 1991 It was changed to show LARGE Chevron instead of the ITV Logo at the end.
* New ident where the LARGE Chevron appeared at the end instead of ITV along with NEW font for Yorkshire television
~Static version with the Chevron in the middle from 1989 was kept:
* Monday 5th September 1994 : ITV look dropped and replaced
* Monday 3rd October 1996 Channel 3 ident: ended 8th March 1998
* Monday 9th March 1998 - 8 November 1999
* 8 November 1999 - 2002: NEW ident for local show ONLY which had purple rotating chevrons in the background
* Friday 31st October 1980, for 21st Birthday
* Monday 7th September 1987 leading into the first edition of "Six Tonight"
FULL DETAILS page-29 http://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/date-pres-38322/page-29
ITV as its self:
* 1989 Ident: 1st September ( with Thames on the 4th Sept) see: page-8 It seems around 5.10 or 5.40pm.
* Carlton Stars Monday 6 September 1999
* Granada hearts Nov 8th 1999
* Celeb idents Oct. 28th 2002
Heart package: 5th Ocotber 1998
Last edited by 623058 on 4 October 2013 11:43pm