One interesting thing to consider from the Election coverage is Reeta Chakrabarti handling the results analysis role that has commonly been held by a combination of Emily Maitlis and Jeremy Vine in recent elections. I do imagine that in the event of a full scale General Election, that the role would again be split into two. Nevertheless, I suppose there is a slim chance it could become one role. Reeta, from what limited coverage I seen, did fairly well and as has been mentioned has a political specialism so it was nice to see her involved.
That said, the point of speculation is in the event of a General Election in the non-too distant future, who would fulfil what role. We already know Huw is taking over from Dimbleby, not before time, as the main Election presenter. I’d also hazard a guess Vine would continue in his current role. The interesting point comes in the remaining roles: interviewer (held by Paxman and Neil in recent viewer), the results analysis centre (held by Emily) and the lead presenter who will take over at 7am (held previously by Huw). I do think the BBC is somewhat spoilt for choice in terms of potential suitors for each of these roles:
- Fiona Bruce- She is now the main Question Time Presenter, has held a role in previous election nights and in my view should have a prominent role in the next General Election. In my view, she would be best suited either to the interviewer role or taking over as the lead presenter at 7am.
- Mishal Hussain- Mishal has been really impressive in my view moderating previous debates, taking the interviewer role in the most recent Election coverage and when filling in on shows like Andrew Marr. In my view, she should either have the interviewer role or take over the lead presenter at 7am.
- Emily Maitlis- She is extremely well suited to her current role leading the results analysis but with her recent (well-deserved) promotion to Newsnight Chief Presenter, it will be interesting to see if Emily could make the move over to the interviewer role.
- Sophie Raworth- Sophie has a clear aptitude for politics, even if she has not been as higher profile In coverage as others. She has held roles on previous election/referendum nights but significantly has taken over rolling coverage into the afternoon and filled in on Andrew Marr. I think she’d be suited either to taking over at 7am or the results analyst role if Emily moved roles.
- Reeta Chakrabarti- Could her recent involvement be a trial run to get the result analyst gig at the next General Election? This will be interesting to see, I do think Reeta definitely should have some involvement. They could also split this role in to two shifts with Reeta part of a new team in the morning.
Would be interesting to hear others thoughts on who they would envisage/choose for what role.
Last edited by ginofish on 6 May 2019 1:28am