Media Websites

BBC Store

arriving soon (October 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
The BBC Shop website is still in operation, I wonder if both will eventually merge?

BBC Shop is cheaper than the BBC Store on some titles.

The BBC Shop is closing at the end of this month (March 2016)

LL
London Lite Founding member
Shame that the BBC Shop is closing. I've taken advantage of some of their deals in the past.
LB
Long bottom
I guess its the way everything is going, I don't buy physical media anymore, unless its a film I really want to keep. Maybe three a year.
DB
DalekBChannel523
BBC Shop closing has really ****ed me off. Why are they trying to force us to buy digital downloads?

Not everybody likes to own things digitally. Some of us like to have physical copies you can hold in your hand and display on a shelf.
LL
BBC Shop closing has really ****ed me off. Why are they trying to force us to buy digital downloads?

Not everybody likes to own things digitally. Some of us like to have physical copies you can hold in your hand and display on a shelf.

Nobody is forcing anyone not to buy physical media. There are still plenty of outlets where you can buy BBC products. BBC Worldwide have clearly decided that the BBC Shop is no longer commercially viable.
tmorgan96 and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

You may already have digital copies of what you have physically. Some disks are the so-called triple play variety, typically Blu-Ray, DVD and a digital copy for tablets/phones/whatever else is round the corner.
GL
Gluben
I'd be all for buying things digitally if they included all the extras (commentary track, deleted scenes etc.) that came with the physical media. iTunes does it for some more recent movies, but the BBC won't do this for its own shows.
DB
DalekBChannel523

Nobody is forcing anyone not to buy physical media. There are still plenty of outlets where you can buy BBC products. BBC Worldwide have clearly decided that the BBC Shop is no longer commercially viable.

Really? Because it seems like they're forcing us to me, especially given that they've basically said 'there's still the BBC Store' and the BBC Store will be the only way to buy BBC shows direct from the BBC soon.

You may already have digital copies of what you have physically. Some disks are the so-called triple play variety, typically Blu-Ray, DVD and a digital copy for tablets/phones/whatever else is round the corner.

Whilst that's true, it's only true with some releases and not many of those are BBC-related. Also: it's not a choice when buying them to own a digital copy, you're buying them because they're physical copies.
LL

Really? Because it seems like they're forcing us to me, especially given that they've basically said 'there's still the BBC Store' and the BBC Store will be the only way to buy BBC shows direct from the BBC soon.

Most people don't buy physical copies from the BBC. I'm sure those who'll buy Series 5 of Call the Midwife next Monday will either buy them from a supermarket, HMV or other online websites, such as Amazon.

It really isn't a big deal if you can't buy a copy of a BBC programme on DVD/Blu-ray from BBC Worldwide. I suspect that most customers haven't even heard of the BBC Shop website in the first place.
DB
DalekBChannel523

Most people don't buy physical copies from the BBC. I'm sure those who'll buy Series 5 of Call the Midwife next Monday will either buy them from a supermarket, HMV or other online websites, such as Amazon.

Not if BBC Shop offered the best deal, which it often did on many new releases.

Quote:
It really isn't a big deal if you can't buy a copy of a BBC programme on DVD/Blu-ray from BBC Worldwide. I suspect that most customers haven't even heard of the BBC Shop website in the first place.

I don't think it's as niche as you seem to think. My family and everyone I have talked to about BBC Shop closing have heard about it.
LL

Not if BBC Shop offered the best deal, which it often did on many new releases.

Quote:

I don't think it's as niche as you seem to think. My family and everyone I have talked to about BBC Shop closing have heard about it.

You and your family are in that niche I'm afraid. I agree it had some good deals, but it wasn't ever a major player in physical online sales.
VM
VMPhil
I'll always remember BBC Shop for putting up 'BBC employee only' merchandise that anyone could buy and have delivered.

Newer posts