TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
According to a516digital.com Channel 5 have put the paperwork into OfCom for a licence for Channel 5 HD on Freeview.
Last edited by dvboy on 9 June 2020 7:44pm
TV
TV Times
At last!

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/02/channel-5-hd-gets-freeview-licence.html
DV
DVB Cornwall
dvboy posted:
According to a516digital.com Channel 5 have put the paperwork into OfCom for a licence for Channel 5 HD on Freeview.

Yes, can confirm, it's appeared on the DTAS / DTPS licenced service list today

here ……..

OFCOM.ORG.UK
29-Feb-2016 @ 12:52
TVF
TV Forum Team
Posts from Channel 5 HD - Gets Freeview Licence have been merged into this topic.
LS
Lou Scannon

<falls off sofa>

At last, indeed. Smile
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 30 March 2016 7:15am
BR
Brekkie
Frustrating that someone did the right thing and started a new thread for a "significant development" only for a mod to merge it.

That said I thought C5 had already got the licence but just not made use of it.
ED
ExDSStar

Great news this.
DV
dvboy
Moving transponder on satellite too to be with other Viacom channels.
TO
tomo359
Anyone know if it will also become available on Freesat?
PF
PFML84
They say themselves on their website that they intend to be on Freesat and Freeview when possible. They have now moved to their own transponder space so Sky do not have any more of a hand in the running of the channel. Once the contract expires they can and are believed to be going FTA and it will surely join Freesat at that time. They have re-applied and received a Freeview broadcasting licence, so once space and a certain EPG number become available, I'm sure they will be joining Freeview as well. About time too.
DV
dvboy
They could benefit from the new Freeview rules and get a fairly high channel number. Wouldn't surprise me if they chose to put C5HD on 5 and bump the SD equivalent down the EPG along with all of their other channels.
MA
Markymark
dvboy posted:
They could benefit from the new Freeview rules and get a fairly high channel number. Wouldn't surprise me if they chose to put C5HD on 5 and bump the SD equivalent down the EPG along with all of their other channels.

They won't bump the SD version down the EPG, but if the Freeview platform is clever enough to place
the HD version on LCN 5 on HD equipped receivers, then that would be a step forward. (But I don't think it is ?)

Many Freeview TVs, particularly HD ones, allow you to re order the LCNs anyway, I've had the HD versions of all the channels on their 'SD' LCNs for yonks (and BBC News HD on LCN 8 ),

Newer posts